suicide hotline/help center in bkk?

octabrain

If the situation is urgent call the Police. They will ensure the persons safety and enable access to appropriate care.

Sheryl has a pinned list of mental heath resources at the top of the page. Consult that if the the situation is not urgent.

Thai or English.

Suggest though that person is seen by an experienced mental health professional as soon as possible. There are some qualified foreign professionals in Bangkok - also if they are Western, seeing a GP, such as Dr Donna at Medconsult might also be useful.

It is now late in the evening !

I repeat if the situation is urgent call the Police ----now!

The Police regretfully are well used and experienced in dealing with this kind of issue -----they will ensure the persons safety and will ensure access to appropriate care.

He's safe right now. This is more about long term help and also educating myself on how to deal with this.

I will check out the pinned list with mental health resources and consult someone from there.

Edited by octabrain

It is now late in the evening !

I repeat if the situation is urgent call the Police ----now!

The Police regretfully are well used and experienced in dealing with this kind of issue -----they will ensure the persons safety and will ensure access to appropriate care.

If they are Farang?

I know this is not a good place to joke, but really every time I met the police in Thailand I felt depressed afterwards.

The local police officers have very little qualifications and spend their whole day with extorting corruption money from everyone that passes their way.

Last time I called the police the line was busy for hours. When finally somebody came the thief was gone. I found out the name and address of the thief and I had him on a video-recording that clearly showed his face and how he climbed through the window. I gave all evidence, together with the name and address of the thief to the police. They did nothing at all.

I don't like to be the foreigner that spends his days complaining about how bad everything is in Thailand, but I am convinced it's very hard to find a Thai police officer that is capable of doing anything useful. Most Thai police officers also know only 2 English words: "You" and "money", not exactly the words you would use with someone that is suicidal.

• 6 years later...

On 6/17/2013 at 10:50 PM, octabrain said:

Hi,

I got a suicidal friend living here in Bangkok.

Are there any hotlines/help centers specializing in suicide prevention/counselling here?

Cheers

It's an old post. Did you friend go through with it?

A lot of people suicide for reasons that cannot be fixed. It is often circumstantial and not a mental condition. Old age, loneliness (no friends or family) no money or debts and/or bad health. All the councelling in the world will not help.