Thais And Escalators.

Jockstar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-04-01 00:11:22) *

Everything in Thailand is done "step by step". Thai people, they are more mindful and in the moment than Westerners.

I wish someone would tell them (oops, Thai people) the simple steps of people getting off the BTS before people can get on. whistling.gif

I've told them(Thai people) that they(Thai people) should more more considerate and that they (Thai people) would get in and out the train quicker if they(Thai people) let the people come off first. But Thai people didn't listen!

I notice the way the past few commenterrs have used the pronoun they as if the Thais were some kind of foreign species.

Thais going to to Farangland, using the word 'they' in such a derogatory manner They...oh sorry, Thai persons have much worse ways of refering to us (is this word okay?) then they. I should know, I hear what my wife calls them all that time. on a public forum would be hammered by the locals.

Dont be so racist.....

It may be my sick sense of fun, but I love it when, in a moving crowd, I suddenly stop and hear "oops", "sorry"... as the entire line bangs in to me.

Maybe they (er... I mean 'The Thai People' (trade mark, copyright [only some of 'em]) have adapted the British sense of humour!!

You RACIST bar stewards! Fug the lot of you! Ivor had toooo mush chew trinck...

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-04-01 00:11:22) *

Everything in Thailand is done "step by step". Thai people, they are more mindful and in the moment than Westerners.

I wish someone would tell them (oops, Thai people) the simple steps of people getting off the BTS before people can get on. whistling.gif

I've told them(Thai people) that they(Thai people) should more more considerate and that they (Thai people) would get in and out the train quicker if they(Thai people) let the people come off first. But Thai (they) people didn't listen!

Now learn to be the best child you can be!

what about "they" as in "They say that farting against thunder can be fun"

So very impolite.

This quite obviously ought to read "Margaret Thatcher and Lady Di say that farting against thunder can be fun"

(Or something more up-to-date but probably forbidden on Thaivisa)

In those cases it is permitted to say (with a heavily accentuated pronoun), "They (nudge - nudge, wink - wink) say that farting against thunder can be fun"

Edited by Thomas_Merton

My mother, still alive in her 82nd year, always taught us children, never to use a pronoun about anyone who has a name, such as eg. the Thai people.

She considered this usage, as I do also, very bad manners

i dont want a lesson in the finer points of english grammatical theory or edwardian domestic manners , but ........

Edited by taxexile

i dont want a lesson in the finer points of english grammatical theory or edwardian domestic manners , but ........

but ........ the topic is ESCALATORS not English grammar :D

This escalator behaviour must be a Bangkok thing. I've never noticed it in Pattaya. I've used the escalators in Royal Garden, Big C, Carrefoure (?), TukCom, Polo ( :o ) and other places and never noticed a problem.

The only thing I've noticed is that very few of them will walk up/down the escalator while it is moving (unlike me, who treats escalators as moving stairs).

My mother, still alive in her 82nd year, always taught us children, never to use a pronoun about anyone who has a name, such as eg. the Thai people.

....but, tax, as Joe E. Brown said to Jack Lemnon in the greatest movie ever made (of a time before escalators were invented), "Nobody is perfect".

Actually escalators are extreamly dangerous if you are wearing sneakers. I once saw a woman almost lose her foot because she had the toe of her sneaker pushed against the the back side of the step in front of her foot. As the step decended at the top of the escalator it sucked the toe of the rubber sneaker down with it. Fortunatly someone hit the stop button before she was injured.

Her foot ended up cramed into the rear half of the shoe and parameds had to cut the sneaker off her foot to free her. Given the casual maintanence procedures here in LOS maybe the Thais know something we don't! :o

Yeah and they dont hesitate when pulling out on you in the road, when there is clearly nothing behind you. And the motorcyclist never look before pulling out onto the main road. And they always walk straight into you when walking around the shopping centers. And, and, and, and..........

Asked the missus:

She was 14 y.o. when she operated a light switch for the very first time in her life in a neighbouring village who already was electrified, she was only a little anxious...

In the same year she also ate the first time with a fork, she had to look and copy the others how to use one and she said she was very awkward in the beginning...

With 16 she was confronted by an escalator and was scared like h.e.l.l :o !

Her friends helped her to handle the fear and ,as a Thai, she began to love it for the convenience :D .

Nowadays she makes about 100 000฿ a month...

Why bother to take the lift when you can risk the lives of your children on an elevator?

It's hardly life-threatening taking kids on an elevator.

he meant escalator neeranram and that photo was stupidity in action, the potential for harm on an escalator is huge when doing those sort of things.

imagine if the stroller somehow tipped over and the child was dropped onto the steps, the critical time is when the steps level out and enter combplates with the child above.

I work in that industry as a few of you know and have investigated many accidents,my advice is use them as they were intended as a moving stairway, so remember stairs have inherent dangers, amoving one intriduces a few more.

Asked the missus:

She was 14 y.o. when she operated a light switch for the very first time in her life in a neighbouring village who already was electrified, she was only a little anxious...

In the same year she also ate the first time with a fork, she had to look and copy the others how to use one and she said she was very awkward in the beginning...

With 16 she was confronted by an escalator and was scared like h.e.l.l :D !

Her friends helped her to handle the fear and ,as a Thai, she began to love it for the convenience :D .

What has how much money she earns go to do with anything? :D:D:D:o

he meant escalator neeranram and that photo was stupidity in action, the potential for harm on an escalator is huge when doing those sort of things.

imagine if the stroller somehow tipped over and the child was dropped onto the steps, the critical time is when the steps level out and enter combplates with the child above.

I work in that industry as a few of you know and have investigated many accidents,my advice is use them as they were intended as a moving stairway, so remember stairs have inherent dangers, amoving one intriduces a few more.

Danger everywhere. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

All the time mate, and then when they get to the top they stop again and discuss which way to go.

That would bother me more, especially on the escalator going down. I just hope they take a few steps to clear the area immediately after they step off the escalator. It can be dangerous.

:D

Mai pen rai. :o

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-04-02 14:39:53) *

Why bother to take the lift when you can risk the lives of your children on an elevator?

It's hardly life-threatening taking kids on an elevator.

Those ones that they have in Bic C are also dangerous - once my shopping trolley stuck at the bottom causing the one behind me to hit into me. Keep your distance!

Asked the missus:

:D:D:D sorry but i just cant stop laughing

I remember in pinklao shopping centre a while ago. i reached the escalator to go up a floor when it stopped dead. i was still at the bottom.

a group of students were in front of me and clearly didnt know what to do. the girls were debating walking up, but i think that they decided that the heels of their clippy cloppy shoes would get stuck in the little grooves.

i opted to walk up myself, the brave woman i am.

but these kids walked around to the other end of the shopping centre and got the escalator up there!

strange indeed.

Well i used too love going up and down escalator repeatedly when i was a kid.

You all did too, just admit it biggrin.gif

I still do especially in Central Chidlom on a hot day and nothing much to do - cheaper than the cinema!

At the now closed Merry King department store on Phaholyothin they used to have an escalator with a partially broken comb plate. It operated that way for at least a year. Safety Last!

The pause at the top of the escalator has both irked and amused me. More than once I have seen minor pile ups at the top while someone decides that is a good place to stand and discuss the days shopping.

Don't get me stared on the people who push their way into lifts before everyone has exited.

Asked the missus:

:D:D:D sorry but i just cant stop laughing

Stop it Noodles! I'm starting to giggle myself now. You must have an infectious laugh. :D

At the now closed Merry King department store on Phaholyothin they used to have an escalator with a partially broken comb plate. It operated that way for at least a year. Safety Last!

The pause at the top of the escalator has both irked and amused me. More than once I have seen minor pile ups at the top while someone decides that is a good place to stand and discuss the days shopping.

Don't get me stared on the people who push their way into lifts before everyone has exited.

I Push my way into a lift, I believe in every man for them selves when the lifts door opens.