Totally Boring Topic......

theblether

Seen quite a few large ones crossing roads, fortunately from the safety of my car. On a visit to CM quite a few years ago we saw a Cobra show on the road heading up to the mountain. Quite entertaining for a newcomer and they usually ask for one of the spectators to help. I am sure the CM locals on this site will inform if it is still there.

Going up towards the elephant camp Mae Rim on the right hand side, at least a couple of them. Plenty of cobras on show.

The original was featured in one of the Rambo movies, Rambo 23?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lH9sTs8UbQ0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlH9sTs8UbQ0

Edited by Thailand

In my garden in Isaan had an 8 foot Cobra in it last year. Not local though!

I need to ask how did you know it wasn't local? Was it hissing in a foreign accent or wearing a pair of sunglasses and a hat as it was on it's holidays?

• Like 1

Get a bicycle and take a ride on some quiet country roads as early as you can in the morning. I see at least one live one nearly every day, and many dead ones flattened on the road.

Point me in the right direction, do you live near CM?

Why don't you just go to a snake show? I think they have them along Mae-Rim road? on the way to the elephant shows, monkey shows, dog shows, etc. Although I haven't actually been myself to any snake shows in CM. I have been (in 1985 or 1986) to one in BKK. But I think they are still the same shows. I realize this isn't the same as seeing them "in the wild" but that is a bit of a ridiculous request, isn't it?

I'm sure you can meet with the snake owner after, and ask to play with the snake, or have them let it go for a real experience, if that is what you need!

Or I once saw a show on TV about "snake charmers" in Thailand, which seemed to say that there are certain villages where this is the main way to make a living. Maybe you can find out where those are, and visit, and live for a while, like people who live with the elephants for a while ..I did that when I was new here.

I know where the Snake farm is at Mae Rim, that's not the point, I want to see them in the Wild, they are majestic creatures.

Why don't you just go to a snake show? I think they have them along Mae-Rim road? on the way to the elephant shows, monkey shows, dog shows, etc. Although I haven't actually been myself to any snake shows in CM. I have been (in 1985 or 1986) to one in BKK. But I think they are still the same shows. I realize this isn't the same as seeing them "in the wild" but that is a bit of a ridiculous request, isn't it?

I'm sure you can meet with the snake owner after, and ask to play with the snake, or have them let it go for a real experience, if that is what you need!

Or I once saw a show on TV about "snake charmers" in Thailand, which seemed to say that there are certain villages where this is the main way to make a living. Maybe you can find out where those are, and visit, and live for a while, like people who live with the elephants for a while ..I did that when I was new here.

I know where the Snake farm is at Mae Rim, that's not the point, I want to see them in the Wild, they are majestic creatures.

Most people like to squash, cut heads off, set dogs onto, or mutilate in any way possible.

Most of those unfortunately are harmless.

might put up a pic of one beside my office the other day

Most people like to squash, cut heads off, set dogs onto, or mutilate in any way possible.

I was going to ask you about the 4 metre + snake you captured, did you release it again?

I was going to ask you about the 4 metre + snake you captured, did you release it again?

Release them all.

Caught 2 of them in a week.

Trivial fact...if you take a monk with you into a national park to release animals and pray etc...you get in for free.

• Like 2

Had a Cobra in our garden when we first moved here and there were only rice fields around. In addition a couple banded kraits,numerous rat snakes after the local vermin. I prefer to not see any of them in the wild.

• Like 1

Get cobras in my garden. Come in from the rice fields. Dogs kill 'em. Only saw them kill one once - cobra rearing up, hood spread, dogs attacking from all sides. Usually they just leave them dead, outside on the lawn.

What kind of dogs do you have?

2 German Shepperds. They work together to make the cobra tired and the attack they attack the snake and kill him.

Get cobras in my garden. Come in from the rice fields. Dogs kill 'em. Only saw them kill one once - cobra rearing up, hood spread, dogs attacking from all sides. Usually they just leave them dead, outside on the lawn.

Snakes and rats - my dogs get both.

The misses was telling me they found a couple snakes in a yard the next soi over. I said they aren't going to bother anyone if you leave them alone. I asked if they were poisonous, she said probably not but they don't take a chance and just kill them. I would do my best not to kill one if I came across it.

Snake show? If you want to people watch do you go to a prison? There are many good opportunities here to see certain species of animals in the wild, the last three times I wanted to see elephants in their natural habitat I went to three different National Parks and was successful each time with-in an hour. There are so many snakes here one only has to make a small effort to view them. And the pythons taste pretty good, my gardener caught one in the yard and prepared it for a nice lunch for us all.