Fast-track trials planned for foreign tourists to Thailand

webfact

I fail to see the humour in the inept Thai 'justice' system. I've been at the 'giving end' of the BIB several times, for indulging in what I thought were legal activities. Such as walking down a street and being harrassed for $$, departing a bus at the bust ( intentional pun) station and frisked for illegal substances. Dancing in a club and having the BIB demand you piss in a cup etc etc.

My solution to all this face saving corrupt hypocitical farce? LEAVE. And that is what I intend to do. Good luck ya'll

door, arse etc etc etc

• Like 1

Unless this version of "fast" means "priority" (and I doubt that), then what I suspect these bums intend is this:

"fast" means less of what a victim or the accused need the most - and much more of what they do not need; ...namely, less investigation and more reliance and importance being placed on "witness" statements (Thai witnesses, that is).

How else do you "fast-track" something of this nature without being able to magically make evidence and suspects appear out of thin air in order to "speed up" justice? After all, isn't justice the motive for police, and the law their guideline to follow (ha ha... yeah, I know, I know). It seems they are going to have to toss out what little (and I mean very little) justice and the law that they do follow in order to be "fast", yes?

Or, perhaps they intend to mean that "fast-track" is, "Shut up and just pay the fine so we can get you out of here... otherwise we'll fast-track you behind bars".

Maybe restaurants could "fast-track" foreigners so we could eat our burgers raw.

Stupid (and I mean stupid), lazy-assed bums!

Charming Icon cup o coffee...................!

Do you have LAW for farang in Thailand ? I hope the new law will not only be for tourists but also for investors, and that Thailand step off of the 49/51 tactics.. And certainly in the "Isaan", there is still the law of the prehistoric times, and without a word thai you stand nowhere "Isaan". Now it is better not to invest in the "Isaan", And there are plenty of better alternativen as "Laos". Unfortunately for the nice people who are life a poor and lazy live ! (ISAAN ~~ breeding area for "pattaya girls ~ Easy money from farang !." I mean certainly not all the girls!

Do you have LAW for farang in Thailand ? I hope the new law will not only be for tourists but also for investors, and that Thailand step off of the 49/51 tactics.. And certainly in the "Isaan", there is still the law of the prehistoric times, and without a word thai you stand nowhere "Isaan". Now it is better not to invest in the "Isaan", And there are plenty of better alternativen as "Laos". Unfortunately for the nice people who are life a poor and lazy live ! (ISAAN ~~ breeding area for "pattaya girls ~ Easy money from farang !." I mean certainly not all the girls!

One great mix of poor grammar and great cliches in the best TV tradition.

In related news, Somsak said he had met with Japanese Ambassador Shigekazu Sato and apologised about the lack of progress in the investigation of a Japanese woman's robbery and murder in Sukhothai Historical Park in 2007, with the killer still at large.

Somsak said he would meet with national police chief Adul Saengsingkaew to get an update on the case.

Was there no agenda set before the meeting? Did it ever ocur to him to make himself up to date before his meeting with the Ambassador?

"In related news, Somsak said he had met with Japanese Ambassador Shigekazu Sato and apologised about the lack of progress in the investigation of a Japanese woman's robbery and murder in Sukhothai Historical Park in 2007, with the killer still at large."

Due to cultural differences the Japanese Ambassador failed to understand the real meaning of "lack of progress". What Mr. Somsak tried to say in a polite way is that no one has paid him por the police to do anything about the case, and that it has therefore been indirectly closed.

Edited by monkeycountry

One great mix of poor grammar and great cliches in the best TV tradition.

Reading through the post you are criticising, I would guess the poster is not a native English speaker. Fair play to him for effort. Agree with the cliches though.

• Like 1

Now, now........stop being so cynical. It's clear that the constant pressure from the European governments has caused a problem for the Thais, now they are having to be " seen " to be doing something.

I predict that this becomes as shambolic as you predict it will end in tears for Thailand, and with the verbose and proactive Chinese government on the scene now too they're starting to creak under the pressure.

Recently in Chiang Mai, the Consulate sent a delegation out with the police and delivered letters to several motorcycle companies instructing them " note the word instructing ", to not rent motorcycles to Chinese citizens. There had been a spate of 23 accidents involving the Chinese.

I know of two high profile bike rental shops ( one massive one ) that have taken the warning seriously. The message is starting to get through.

It's just a pity our weakling Embassies couldn't have done this years ago and prevented mayhem being inflicted on their respective populace.

I suppose that it's not only for cases against foreigners but also for cases on behalf of foreigners.

Why do you suppose that, it didn't actually say it?

Perhaps we had the same thought where victims of crime in Thailand are tourists, and they are the only witness against the 'alleged', that Fast Tracking would be beneficial, to see justice done. I believe quite often the only witnesses against the , shall we say snatcher, were on a 2 week visit, are well gone, and not inclined to return.

Sure, it didn't say that, but all posts following the OP were suggesting that it is only for cases against tourists.