Bangkok Fishbowl: Exotic species swim free in abandoned mall

webfact

Bangkok Fishbowl: Exotic species swim free in abandoned mall
By Praj Kiatpongsan

nw.jpg
"New World" Banglamphu Intersection

BANGKOK: -- A few blocks away from Khao San Road sits New World, a four-storey, roofless, abandoned mall on the corner of Banglamphu Intersection. The building’s flooded basement now serves as a home for thousands of fish and is arguably home to the most exotic underwater species in Bangkok.

How was this new world created inside New World? It’s a long story.

Back in the 80’s, Kaew Fah Plaza Company Limited built New World as an 11-storey mall. The company was later found in breach of a building law after it constructed seven more floors on top of the approved construction blueprint.

The mall was shut in 1997, and an unfortunate series of events occurred thereafter. The mall was set ablaze in 1999, causing some casualties and in 2004, one person was killed from collapsing debris during a partial demolition.

The mall’s fifth to eleventh floors were eventually dismantled to be in line with the original plan and New World has been roofless ever since. [more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/19/bangkok-fishbowl-exotic-species-swim-free-abandoned-mall

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-06-20

that is so <deleted> cool.

think i will pop by with a bucket and a net and restock my pond.

it overflowed during a flood a few years back, all the fish (koi) escaped, and i have never restocked.

Edited by joeaverage
  • Like 1

Good grief! Why didn't they just get approval for the modified blueprint instead of start tearing it down!

You're probably making the assumption that they strengthened the foundations and the bottom four floors so that supporting the additional 7 floors was structurally sound.

Factor in the mall in Korea that collapsed after problems caused by a single additional floor in the mid 90s, killing over 500 people, and the earlier collapse of the Royal Plaza hotel in Korat after it's 3 additional floors, and even a Thai building inspector would start to worry...

Edited by bkk_mike

Wow, that's amazing. Super cool

Most places would make them pull the thing down and make it safe instead of remaining a disease pool.

Disease pool? I assume you're talking about Dengue Fever?

Edited by IsaanUSA

Most places would make them pull the thing down and make it safe instead of remaining a disease pool.

Disease pool? Why? I would not like to be a mosquito in that place! (actually I would not like to be a mosquito anywhere, but in that place I don't think

mosquitoes survive long)

Disease pool? Why? I would not like to be a mosquito in that place! (actually I would not like to be a mosquito anywhere, but in that place I don't think

mosquitoes survive long)

Don't you think there are rats galore there too.

Possibly (probably), It really would depend on what else is there to attract the rats.

I haven't been inside that place since it still had some open businesses, after it had closed as a mall. I was

thinking about the previous comments on mosquitoes only

wai2.gif

that is so <deleted> cool.

think i will pop by with a bucket and a net and restock my pond.

it overflowed during a flood a few years back, all the fish (koi) escaped, and i have never restocked.

sounds like a plan, I'd be interested in seeing what's in there

There must be vegetation in there somewhere as well. They would need somewhere to lay their eggs and something must be taking nutrients out of the water. With that many large fish, the water would be putrid otherwise.