Files deleted from an Android tablet - how to retrieve?

pgs

TW uses a Samsung tablet with Bluefire Reader for her Thai ebooks.

One of the recent upgrades (it seems) made the image files of the covers show up in the Gallery.

Despite being told to ignore them, her hot-headedness deleted a few of the pics - now the covers are not showing in the Bluefire Reader. Yes, I'm also just *so* surprised at that.

Until now, she had no 'recycle bin' type app on it - does anyone have any idea how to get the covers back to where they should be?

As the books are downloaded, then cannot be downloaded again according to their tech support.

Android version 4.01 (I think - Jellybean)

Maybe de-install the app, then re-install it, then re-assemble the library? Or try another app., I use Aldiko: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aldiko.android&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmFsZGlrby5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

and, assemble the library. This assumes that deleting the the covers did not delete the underlying files.

Maybe de-install the app, then re-install it, then re-assemble the library? Or try another app., I use Aldiko: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aldiko.android&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmFsZGlrby5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

and, assemble the library. This assumes that deleting the the covers did not delete the underlying files.

I think the graphics are the icons. It isn't like a fruit product with 7 different folders to do one thing.

you could use one of the various undelete tools available. i really like r-studio, but it's not one of the free ones (you can torrent it tho). to find a freeware, you could do a google search for 'undelete freeware'. use the tool of your choice after connecting the tablet to your pc (no idea if/how this works on a mac). you'd have to connect in mass storage mode, set this in settings -> usb options (or whatever it is called in ICS - your android version). the tablet should pop up as one or two drives depending on if you have an external SD card in it.

the likeliest location for the missing files is the folder on the SD card (internal) with the same name as the app she's using to purchase/download ebooks. maybe use explorer first to see if such a folder exists and if not, do a search for one of the ebooks she's got and if you find it, remember the folder it's in and use the undelete tool to see if there are any image files in this folder that can be restored.

restoring deleted files will only work if they haven't been overwritten yet, so don't copy/save anything onto the internal SD card until you're done with this process.

bit of a PITA, but if you're motivated you should be able to manage, right?

Thanks to those who gave nice, helpful replies.

We've since installed dumpster on it. When she's finished with the current batch & I can wrest if from her I'll try re-importing some.

The files are DRM & seem to only work in the BlueFire Reader - which is a pain, but that's how it seems to be.

you could use one of the various undelete tools available. i really like r-studio, but it's not one of the free ones (you can torrent it tho). to find a freeware, you could do a google search for 'undelete freeware'. use the tool of your choice after connecting the tablet to your pc (no idea if/how this works on a mac). you'd have to connect in mass storage mode, set this in settings -> usb options (or whatever it is called in ICS - your android version). the tablet should pop up as one or two drives depending on if you have an external SD card in it.

the likeliest location for the missing files is the folder on the SD card (internal) with the same name as the app she's using to purchase/download ebooks. maybe use explorer first to see if such a folder exists and if not, do a search for one of the ebooks she's got and if you find it, remember the folder it's in and use the undelete tool to see if there are any image files in this folder that can be restored.

restoring deleted files will only work if they haven't been overwritten yet, so don't copy/save anything onto the internal SD card until you're done with this process.

bit of a PITA, but if you're motivated you should be able to manage, right?

Book names are all in thai... I don't fancy trying to do Thai on such a small keyboard. I don't think she does either.