Spot to work on my bike in Chiang Mai?

Malindi

Hi all,

I'm traveling around the world and am in Chiang Mai at the moment. I am looking for a garage/shop space where I can do a few minor maintenance items to the bike (change gear box oil, drive line oil etc.). I also need to replace the final drive O ring (it’s a BMW R80G/S). I have a new seal and need a flat seal puller (but I’ll probably buy one and leave it behind for whoever can use it). I am more than happy to pay for oil disposal and shop time. I’d probably want to borrow a hammer and few nails (to indent the oil seal) and sundry items like an oil pan and funnel.

I do all my own work on my bike so I am hesitant to ask a local shop for space as inevitably they’ll want to jump in and help out.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could go to find some space?

The other thing I would like to find is a high-pressure self-serve car wash, if that exists here … It’s been since Arizona (I am from Canada) since the bike’s had a wash … J

Kevin

Wow, what a great trip. I'm envious as hell.

Were I in Chiangmai, my door would be open, but alas, I am not. Glad to hear you are doing your own work, as the work in this country is completely unreliable. I am surprised you don't have a taker. It's not like the BMW Motorcycle Owners Club of America, is it?

Something I stumbled into once during a heavy rain I wanted to escape. They have these "love motels" here where each unit has a little covered garage. The idea seems to be that a husband can park in the garage and won't be caught if his wife is driving around looking for his car.

When I first went to one, I just pulled in and was delighted to see the garage for my bike. When I went to get the room, the woman asked me how long I wanted it. I said, "One night." She asked, "All night?" I thought that strange until I went into the room and saw the flashing lights under the bed, the mirrored ceiling and the complimentary condoms, creams and oils. The long drive in and the covered garage should have been a clue. I'm not stupid, but I am a little slow. As long as you have your own tools, it would be a good place to work.

And even if there is nobody on TV from Chiangmai that will offer you a place to work, I'll bet my left testicle that there are dozens that could direct you to a "love motel."

I don't know & live in a condo myself sad.png

But this place may be able to help you

http://www.riderscorner.net/

While not the place to do the work they would surely know.

Also I bet they would be very interested in your trip.

While it is also a restaurant they also sell some things

This is also the place with the GT maps etc.

I always see BMW's there & they all look like heavy touring type riders.

Have been meaning to stop in myself.

Edited by mania

Thanks for the tips guy! I really like the love motel option ... :-) gotto remember that one.. I've been to Riders Corner as well but there didn't seem an easy option available. I've just been called by a nice gentleman who offered his place so I'll most likely take him up on it today or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Kevin

If it falls through i have a place you can work but its a bit out of town in Nongjom Sansai .I also have tools you can borrow and i can rent you a motorcycle while you work on yours .

If it falls through i have a place you can work but its a bit out of town in Nongjom Sansai .I also have tools you can borrow and i can rent you a motorcycle while you work on yours .

Much appreciated! Will keep everyone appraised

You might want to check out gt-rider.com. I believe they have a forum and have many members in Chiang Mai area.

I did post there indeed and that is where the phone call came from I believe.

You might want to check out gt-rider.com. I believe they have a forum and have many members in Chiang Mai area.

I did post there indeed and that is where the phone call came from I believe.

If you're struggling to locate a venue and you have all the parts you need to do the work youself. Why not negotiate with one of the many local dealers/maintenance shops which have the additional requirements you need to facilitate your maintenance..

After all money is king here.

I'm sure someone will accomodate you.

Jerry

http://www.chiangmai-motorcycle-rental.com/

check out this place, 'Tony's big bikes', I have rented here and they have a workshop area and are very friendly and helpful, maybe you could rent workshop space for a few hours?

cheers

Yeah I rented from "Tony's Big Bikes" too last year, it was a disaster... see my posting on this: http://www.nohorizons.net/2012/0-thailand-1-Golden%20Triangle-2-onwards.html