SME Backup Options.

Para

Guys needs some real world advice regarding server backup solutions.

I have been asked it install a simple 50 position office/CAD solution but the price quoted for the server backup is as expensive as the server its self. Was going run a simple RAID 5 3x4TB so need a solution that can run to 8TB.

I thought about cloud then remembered what country I was in!

Any suggestions other than a tape drive?

Thanks.

Lots of variables....

How crucial is the data?

How crucial(expensive) is downtime?

How often is data backed up?

Where is the server?

Where are you?

Cloud is always good and easy to adapt and expand as required.

Amazon in Singapore is both reliable but also fast in Thailand.

If downtime is critical then you should look at a redundant server rather than simple data.

So the spare server is preconfigured, software setup and data transferred regularly via rsync or similar.

That server would be best stored in the office - if the main server crashes, just swap and go.

Quantity of data transfer needed and internet supply will have an effect.

Local bandwidth is typically the speed quoted on the packages. Singapore does work about as fast as local.

Not found a data center in Thailand I trust so you basically have 3 options.

Backup server on site - bad for theft/fire.

Backup server at your office or another in Thailand - dependent on the resources there.

Backup server in the cloud - dependent on internet and has ongoing equipment costs

If you use incremental backups then what is the data retention policy?

Single synchronised backup means that if you spot something was deleted/modified on the primary too late, the backup may have also been deleted/modified.

Running multiple backups (realtime, daily, weekly, monthly) are essential for mission critical data but do increase storage requirements and costs.

I have all of my cloud servers backed up in the cloud....but also run secondary backups to my computer here in LOS.

Cloud backups are full machine images (AMI) capable of starting a new ready configured machine.

Web servers are running rsync daily of all data files.

Databases are running multiple backups with a strong multiple retention policy.

I store the local backups on my office server running RAID5.

Lots of variables....

Innerspace thanks for the extensive reply let me see what gaps I can fill in.....

Its for a start up company a friend is running. I was called in on Friday to give some ideas and walked out with more questions than answers. The problem is right now they are unsure how many users and how critical the data will be. As you say too many variables so all I was going to do was put a rough proposal together offering various solutions built around a basic scalable server. Right now its a bare shell office with the electicians still working so there is nothing bar a wifi router for the 2 owners.

They are just outside Pattaya near Sattahip so don't have access to the bandwidth BKK does. I am trying to see if we can get TRUE DOCSIS supplied if so there will be a fairly decent internet connection.

Cost is a major player so a redundant server is not an option right now. To be honest after seeing the quote from the hardware company for a 3TB tape drive being as expensive as the server its self I am initially considering something as simple as a external drive at least until they know what downtime they are able to live with.

I would like to utilise cloud storage and have been looking for suppliers if you have any pointers.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply.