Teaching English in Phuket's hotels/resorts

niceandfriendly

Hi, new to the forum.

Sorry if this has been posted before elsewhere, I had a look and didn't see anything.

Does anybody have any experience or advice to share about teaching in Hotels/Resorts in Phuket? I've heard and read that hotels hire English teachers to teach their staff during the low season, does anyone have any first hand experience of this or indeed know of any places currently hiring?

I'm an English teacher with years of hotel experience so I'm not expecting it to be too difficult to find a position, but you never know.

I'm not in Phuket at the moment (in China) but I will be moving there within the month. I've heard lots of places aren't keen on speaking to people off the Island, as they get many people calling them up with dreams of moving to Thailand which never materialise, so they prefer to see you're there and ready to work. Is this true?

Any other snippets of info or help would be appreciated.

The only one I have heard which has a full time teacher is Club Med, but I know there are more that employ teachers if only part time. You need to contact the hr dept. of each hotel. Send your CV and cover letter to as many emails like [email protected]. Do that also with language schools if you are open to working there. I used to have an on call job at a hospital so I wasn't able to dive as I needed to answer the phone in an emergency, so to earn extra cash I sent my CV to 6 schools and got part time work from 4 of them and a full time job offer from a private school teaching kids. I worked for a couple places part time and had a lot of fun teaching English to mostly Russians, a few Thai's, Chinese, and Japanese. Part time usually pays 250B an hour. Expect to make 30,000 per mo starting salary if working full time.

How's your Mandarin?

There will be a big call for staff to learn some Mandarin and Russian in the very near future.

English will become pretty much redundant for hotel staff here in the furture, however, the schools will still require it.

Mandarin and Russian will be in demand here in the future.

Funny enough today I met up with an old Thai friend that's moving back to Phuket, she's got a full time university job and 22,000 baht for teaching 22 hours a month in a foreign owned hotel.

She is a Thai but has language skills that most native speakers would be envious of. No accent and teaches exactly what needs to be taught as she understands what what they need to concentrate on.

The cheap Charlie hotels that want to pay 200 - 300 baht an hour for a native speaker get what they deserve.

Funny enough today I met up with an old Thai friend that's moving back to Phuket, she's got a full time university job and 22,000 baht for teaching 22 hours a month in a foreign owned hotel.

She is a Thai but has language skills that most native speakers would be envious of. No accent and teaches exactly what needs to be taught as she understands what what they need to concentrate on.

The cheap Charlie hotels that want to pay 200 - 300 baht an hour for a native speaker get what they deserve.

And a family member just happens to be a HR manager at the hotel. :) :) :) :)

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies so far guys.

I've known an American that has taught at hotels and resorts for many years. But just coming here and expecting to get a job like that is a bit far fetched, IMHO.

Far fetched perhaps for someone with no teaching or hotel experience. But for someone with both?

Edited by niceandfriendly

I did it for about a year. Keep an eye out in local employment websites as well. The majority of jobs however are already snapped up by language schools and there is good business in it.

The full time jobs are available with the big brand name hotels - Centara, Hilton, Marriott etc....they pay about 30000 - 35000 per month along with food and other perks along the way.

The best site to check is Ajarn.com.

I had a contract with a major hotel chain in Bangkok back in the 1990s and it was good, well-paid and fun work, with lots of perks.

However, there is so much oversupply of hotels here now and so much staff turnover that all but the biggest tend to shy away from hiring a full-time teacher...