Told could have six months per visit by writing letter with visa applictn?

Went for visa yesterday and asked how I could get longer stays on tourist visa as I always just go for 60 or 90 days.

Was told that if I wrote letter saying why I wanted extended stay, I could achieve that, though might still have to pay for 30 days after the original 60 days permitted for NZers.

Also, I think I've always paid 1900 Baht for the extra 30 days but saw in another post that it was a lot less via other means.

Has anyone been through this particular process under the tourist visa method?

Sorry this is probably in wrong forum, but couldn' find the visa one...and I thought others might like to know. Thanks.

Was told by whom, an immigration officer? Which location?

Never heard of this, if I were you I'd get that letter typed up today and show up first in line tomorrow and make sure you go back to that particular officer, sounds like deal of the century.

Are you sure s/he was talking about a tourist visa, you weren't discussing other purposes for your visit?

You can not change the permitted to stay time on a tourist visa entry by writing a letter to anyone. Believe the reference was to write the Consulate a letter of why you needed to stay longer and they might allow a two entry visa to be issued. It would still only allow 60 day stay on each entry and the normal 1,900 baht extension of 30 days but with one exit you could stay up to six months. You might even be able to get a 3 entry visa and if near border be able to make an extra trip to have 3 x 60 day stays and not have to pay the extension fees to save a bit. But for most it would likely cost more doing this way unless have planned travel anyhow.

That was my thinking Lopburi - thanks for yr confirmation/clarification, but hoped it could've been better, i.e.: without the two time-consuming $1900 extensions! I had not known one cd do this without leaving the country in-between.

It's wet and freezing cold here this wk, so hoping the high temps in BKK won't shock the system!

It sounds like Penang since you mention an agent. All that could possibly be accomplished with the letter would be getting a 2 entry verses a single entry tourist visa.

In your OP you mentioned the 1900 baht fee for the 30 day extension. You will not get it any cheaper no matter where you go.

If you want more than one entry from your visas you should make a trip to Laos where you can get a 2 entry or Bali for 3 entry.

If you didn't want to pay for the extension and doing a border run is cheaper than 1900 baht you could skip the the extension for the first entry and get a total of about 120 days stay from a 2 entry.

Edited by ubonjoe

Mate, in all seriousness, if you are worried about the 1,900 baht fee for an extra 30 days stay in this beautiful Kingdom every 60 days you might want to consider staying where you are and working a bit more first.

1,900 is standard and non-negotiable. It's not like buying padthai where you can bargain. Even on tourist visas they can ask to see proof of money like bank account etc.

PS: I think someone was pulling your leg about the letter. Maybe if you were trying to get a better price on the visa they just told you that and had a good laugh after.

Edited by Gone
  • Like 1

Mate, in all seriousness, if you are worried about the 1,900 baht fee for an extra 30 days stay in this beautiful Kingdom every 60 days you might want to consider staying where you are and working a bit more first.

1,900 is standard and non-negotiable. It's not like buying padthai where you can bargain. Even on tourist visas they can ask to see proof of money like bank account etc.

PS: I think someone was pulling your leg about the letter. Maybe if you were trying to get a better price on the visa they just told you that and had a good laugh after.

You can bargin over Padthai? who knew.....I thought it was only Israeli backpackers who tried that sort of thing on.

Edited by JeremyBowskill