Hogging The Pole On Subway And Skytrain

Thaiquila

Anyone else noticed this?

Even when the train is very crowded and there is nothing else to hold on to, there are often Thai people (young and old, makes no difference) who embrace the entire pole as if in foreplay.

The poles are clearly designed for several people to hold onto to, but no, these enlightened characters want it all for themselves.

I understand rapid transit is a relatively new phenom in Thailand, but maybe a Singapore style education program is needed for this.

When I encounter this, I grab the pole anyway, which often involves touching the pole lover, sometimes even their hair or head, depending on height.

Interestingly, when I do this, they almost never move or react either, but I have seldom witnessed anyone else violating their pole "ownership".

I suggest others go ahead and touch the pole lovers. As I said, they don't seem to mind, and maybe some of them will get the message.

Edited by Thaiquila

:D

when you grab the pole - make sure your armpit is positioned at the correct height to give them a serious waft - then sit back and laugh when it gets reported back here that there are threads on the thai language forums complaining about smelly farang armpits when they are travelling on the skytrain.

:o

:o I thought I was the only one bothered by this. It's just a differnt relationship to personal space and rights of others in the anonymous, public sphere.

I have never noticed this much. However, just the other day on the BTS, I DID see a Thai guy lean against the pole so his back and head was covering a couple of feet of useful hand-holds.

Then a Thai woman simply rammed her fingers between his back and the pole when she nearly fell, and he got off it rather quickly. Maybe she drew blood! :D

I believe that hogging the handrails is not only a BKK issue, here in NYC people behaving the same way hugging the pole or leaning against it.

Maybe theses people are preparing for a Go-Go competition only we don’t know it.

I usually force may hand behind their back and adjust it every 5 seconds…usually they give up.

My other pet hate is people blocking the exit, what is the situation in BKK ?

Anyone else noticed this?

Even when the train is very crowded and there is nothing else to hold on to, there are often Thai people (young and old, makes no difference) who embrace the entire pole as if in foreplay.

The poles are clearly designed for several people to hold onto to, but no, these enlightened characters want it all for themselves.

I understand rapid transit is a relatively new phenom in Thailand, but maybe a Singapore style education program is needed for this.

When I encounter this, I grab the pole anyway, which often involves touching the pole lover, sometimes even their hair or head, depending on height.

Interestingly, when I do this, they almost never move or react either, but I have seldom witnessed anyone else violating their pole "ownership".

I suggest others go ahead and touch the pole lovers. As I said, they don't seem to mind, and maybe some of them will get the message.

A love for phalic symbols perhaps?

This is one thing that drives me mad, its so selfish. I've forced my hand onto the pole before only for the person to continue to rest on my hand. Worse still i've had a lady come onto the skytrain and rest her back onto the pole when there were about 3 persons already holding onto it. The others moved their hands without so much as a mutter of complaint. Pussies!

Easy solution. Just eat cabbage and beans before you go out, and dont shower. After a couple of farts you will find you have half a carriage to yourself and have a choice on where you want to sit :D

Now obviously i have never done this,its just what my wife tells me :o:D

Many Thais consider these to be "leaning poles". BTS should add a few straps to the poles to make it very obvious that they are intended to be handheld but it probably wont happen.

When I see an individual hogging a pole and I don't have anything to hold onto, I get my hand close to their head so they can see it which usually makes them nervous. Then as the car sways back and forth I let my hand and fingers whack them in the ear or neck or whatever.

Usually works within one stop...

My other pet hate is people blocking the exit, what is the situation in BKK ?

Try leaving the Skytrain at Siam in the rush hour. When the doors open, I have sometimes been presented with a wall of people and have had to pick which one of them to push out of the way to get through.

Once I just stood there, hands on hips blocking a lot of the door until one of the morons moved aside to let me off.

Also, I now see they have improved the markings near the edge on the platforms at some stations so that it is clear where people getting off should go (in the middle of the doors), and people getting on (at the outside).

I personally thought it was pretty ###### clear with the old markings, but I'm afraid Thailand is going the way of the West.

:D:D:D

So we have had “Bush Bashing” and ……………….. etc. You know what bashing you have done, and now “Pole” Bashing………. What has Bangers become…The Hub of Bashing..?

Just because I am a Pole-lak, I should be banned from girls hugging me……errrmm…Boys, please take the next “Pole:D

large.jpg:D

Really, in Japan they all hug each other and then complain about it.

Me tink, tis a case of TiT.

Hang on in there all of you, pole seeker……………

Me, easy, have a car… :o

E-Hug to all :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. Do not try this whilst driving a car and taking a photo like I did. :D

Nevermind the pole hugging... how about the groups of passengers getting on the train before allowing passengers to exit first? :o

That's not a Thai thing. It happens in Melbourne and Sydney. No one bothers to line up at the bus stops, either.

Nevermind the pole hugging... how about the groups of passengers getting on the train before allowing passengers to exit first? :o

That's not a Thai thing. It happens in Melbourne and Sydney. No one bothers to line up at the bus stops, either.

That's OK, nobody expects good manners from Ozzies :D

That's OK, nobody expects good manners from Ozzies :D

i dont like people grabbing onto my pole

What's really annoying is when people (falangs and Thais alike) think that pedestrians have the right of way on the road. And then they have the gaul to whine and shriek about it when they get dragged along under my car after venturing just a bit too close. Wussies.

:o

What's really annoying is when people (falangs and Thais alike) think that pedestrians have the right of way on the road. And then they have the gaul to whine and shriek about it when they get dragged along under my car after venturing just a bit too close. Wussies.

:D

Or on the flip side when motorcycles think they have the right of way on the pavement (side walk). :o:D

If I had a motorcycle I would use the sidewalk too. If you for example are on Sukhumvit Soi 6 and have to go to Sukhumvit Soi 8, turning right and taking the sidewalk is the only logical way to get there :o

I always laugh when I'm on the back of a motorcycle taxi and he takes the sidewalk and some old angry falang shouts at the driver while none of Thais seem to mind :D

Edited by Orion76