fishing farangs

ou812

Wanted to get some imput from other fishermen some questions #1 do you need a fishing license? #2 any limts on fish size spices ect?basicly anything i need to know to stay out of trouble.#3 do you have to register a small boat fishing kayak or canoe? any advice apreciated

From what I understand, only the private ponds like Borsan and Dreampark require payment. There is no license required for the large reservoirs, and there are no size or bag limits. Unfortunately, sports anglers will be competing with local Thais that use nets, set lines and electric shockers to kill anything and everything. There are some lovely rivers in Thailand but locals have the fishing rights tied up. I saw native mahseer in the Wa River in Nan province, but the local village does not allow fishing, even if it is catch and release.

1. No

2. Whatever you catch is yours [a private pond has its own rules ofcourse]

3. Power boats yes but nobody does it up here in the North. About 20 out of the 200+ boat owners in Chiang Mai went to do a "drivers license" earlier this year. An even smaller number actually registered their boats and trailers. It's simply not enforced when the boat is used in reservoirs. A power boat going in the river and ocean needs to be registered and the operator should have a license. I don't know the rules about a kayak. I wouldn't concern myself with this stuff if you're just going in freshwater.

Edited by justben

I don't fish so this is all news to me. I am pretty shocked you just can't simply go fishing without any hassles.

I see Thais fishing everywhere there is water. Be it around the moat at night or off a bridge. They don't seem to have any problems. Or is this a "this is Thailand" thing where fish are for Thai people?

Thanks for the info and links.last trip to cm caught many large mekong cats I enjoy catching spices for the first time,want to catch red tail catfish,piranah and large snakeheads heard the best time for snakeheads is may the time they protect their fry and hit topwater baits.anywhay next trip.

kenny how big is your boat? the road is bad. Things have changed since 2 years ago, you can now take a boat in.. if you dare. Fish not eating lures by the way.

Edited by justben
  • Like 1

I have a seadoo speedster jet boat 215 hp 15.6 ft long, not big but goes like shit

I have down rigging gear that I want to try, I have not seen any one try it here.

I also have a 12 ft with 15 hp out board and elec motor.

I normaly go to mae ngat dam, it has good snake head

I will be in Chiangmai in 2 weeks to give it a go

I would be a little worried about using a down rigger in a Thai reservoir. Most reservoirs have submerged brush and trees that tangle everything. I also had problems with abandoned nets. My father uses down riggers all the time when fishing for salmon and he tries to keep his gear off the bottom.

I havent wet a line for almost 12 months, sick of getting nothing due to the locals taking anything that lives in the water, they have simply stripped most of the life out of all waterways. If you want to go hiking you can still get some but with my back lots of walking is out for me. I have thousands of dollars of gear, game, soft plastics, flick sticks bait sticks etc and a ton of lures, all worked great in Australia in all manner of fishing but I may as well sell them all for the lack of use I get from them now, fishing in Thailand is shit..................