Renewing 5 year license, The Odyssey Continues....

MacChine

I searched for this but couldn't make out any results in the muck. Anyway update please? I got two different stories

Phoned yesterday

"need a med certificate, etc etc can come 8 : 30 - 3:30 ."

of course when I arrived, " don't need a certificate," giggle [stupid farang ]

Must come before 8 :30 whole office giggles [stupid farang ]

GAWDDDDDDDD

Now I can remember from years ago about 3 trips to get the original one year license, Showing up on a lunch hour , They said before 8 : 30 but at next day at 8 :30 am , there was no more room.

Is it still this BS? And I should really get there by 7 : 30 AM ? 7 AM?

I swear they do it on purpose.

GAWDDDDDDDDDDD

I can not help you with the lastest information.

I would simply suggest you remember that you are in Thailand and I would advise you to go early, with EVERYTHING, and several photocopies of said EVERYTHING, and leave nothing to chance, but, that's just me. :) :)

I think a lot of it depends on who you get on the day.

Just be there at 8 with your paperwork complete and you'll be ok.

But if you're as confusing to the staff there as you are here in your post it will take you quite a few trips.

• Like 1

^ Sorry to be confusing, I posted two questions , time to actually get there for a second 5 year renewal, and do I need a medical certificate- ( now wondering how thorough does it need to be?)

On the phone I was told yes, med certificate from any Dr Quack and between 8 : 30 and 3;30 which was totally wrong info, thanks for the two hours round trip but seems it's better to go at 8

Should call it TimeWasteland

I got there at eight and was out by eleven with a shiny new license.

Was this for a renewal of five years? Apparently there are totally separate procedures; The Law.... was explained ; first one year, then first renewal for 5 year and then second 5 year renewal...

I can see being there all day until 3 o'clock as some people I asked at 3 PM had been there all day.

Should name it Paper-Chaseland. I can bet my in and out clinic certificate- receptionist filled out at Derma clinic just down from Customs house won't be good enough. I'll be sent for some obscure sexual disease.

Jump stupid farang , jump..jump higher

They want you there before 8.30 because they probably want to subject you to the boring video and perception tests.
Get there at 8am sharp.

OK Thanks They said before 8 : 30 so they really mean 8 AM

GAWDDDDDD

Edited by MacChine

New License question……….

How can I get Thai driver license if I not have my home country driver license possession…???

Can I get a Thai driver license with just my normal 30 day entry stamp or do I need tourist visa??

Thanks for the CORRECT answers,

As I have asked these questions before and gotten lots of different and confusing replies

cheers

New License question……….

How can I get Thai driver license if I not have my home country driver license possession…???

Can I get a Thai driver license with just my normal 30 day entry stamp or do I need tourist visa??

Thanks for the CORRECT answers,

As I have asked these questions before and gotten lots of different and confusing replies

cheers

If no valid home country licence you must sit the Thai driving tests - written & practical.

Strictly speaking you cannot apply for a Thai driving licence on a 30 entry stamp. However if Immigration grant you the Certificate of Residence even with a 30 day stamp then when you hand that CoR over to Transport Department then your passport even with 30 day stamp is usually accepted.

• Like 1

^ Sorry to be confusing, I posted two questions , time to actually get there for a second 5 year renewal, and do I need a medical certificate- ( now wondering how thorough does it need to be?)

On the phone I was told yes, med certificate from any Dr Quack and between 8 : 30 and 3;30 which was totally wrong info, thanks for the two hours round trip but seems it's better to go at 8

Should call it TimeWasteland

I got there at eight and was out by eleven with a shiny new license.

Was this for a renewal of five years? Apparently there are totally separate procedures; The Law.... was explained ; first one year, then first renewal for 5 year and then second 5 year renewal...

I can see being there all day until 3 o'clock as some people I asked at 3 PM had been there all day.

Should name it Paper-Chaseland. I can bet my in and out clinic certificate- receptionist filled out at Derma clinic just down from Customs house won't be good enough. I'll be sent for some obscure sexual disease.

Jump stupid farang , jump..jump higher

They want you there before 8.30 because they probably want to subject you to the boring video and perception tests.

Get there at 8am sharp.

OK Thanks They said before 8 : 30 so they really mean 8 AM

GAWDDDDDD

What has your skincolour to do with this? Same procedure for everybody.

I just renewed my 5-year 2 days ago.

I enquired a day before I went, and the information lady said:

- Need doc's cert

- Copy of passport: face and visa pages

- Be there before 9am

I went there at 8.45am and the same lady said I need a proof of residence from Immigration.

I told her I saw her yesterday and she said I won't need it.

Then she asked if I have a work permit, which I brought (the original and copies) along.

She was satisfied with that, and told me to go to the last room for the lights and pedal tests.

After that I got a queue number to pay at the cashier (500++ THB).

After paying I was told to go to a booth where my photo was taken.

Five minutes later, I was given the new licence.

I left the building before 10am.

Hope that helps.

A 30 day stamp will not be accepted.

Tourist visa gives you a years license.

Five year licence requires a Non-Imm visa.

^ So another discrepancy, Residency certificate needed or not ?? If WP then no??OK

Why can't they write it down and put it on the website ?? In English ??

The first license is good for one year, Then you must renew it and you get five years from then on

So I arrived, after 1 hour and 10 minutes in traffic at 8 : 20am. People were still coming in later after 8: 30, though for what I don't know

I noticed all the Russian / East Euro men wore shorts. ( That was a no- no my first times when they did it all in the big building, ( when getting there at 7 : 30 was too late. Dress polite [sic] the sign read !!)

The pedal brake reaction test was confusing to many as it wasn't explained sufficiently one should not be looking up at the mock up traffic light, but at a lower row of vertical, smaller lights.

The traffic light is used to test colour blindness.

One of the foreign Volunteer Policeman from Immigration was there, he was using both his feet and I had to explain that he was not to use both feet, right foot only - as the worker could not.

A 40 minute video with loud music and horrible audio quality was shown, much of actual pertinent info it was hard to hear. When I raised my hand to ask for a clarification I was ignored .

There was no written test for renewal, and since I got a local skin clinic med-cert , that was," not needed for renewal," my eyes were not checked, nor was my health ascertained properly in any way other than I could jump through moderate hoops of bureaucracy.

GAWDDDDDDD.

It's all so BS !!

What has your skincolour to do with this? Same procedure for everybody.

I think the sullen faced entry desk worker likes to give out wrong info as she's not fond of farang. Maybe she's just in a nasty mood to everyone, though, it did seem like it was directed more at westerners.

This is actually quite common of you don't have a Thai partner to shield you. I also think whomever covers for the lunch on telephones gave out wrong info to me, by mistake probably, but ...

So first license needs a med cert, (make it decent or not, remains the question )

And expect to be there all day, and take a test written , and I believe, if you have already valid foreign license, you can bypass the driving test.

You need a separate test for motorcycles, remember.

Immigration Residency certificates which are FREEEEE ask for a receipt and get it FREEEE.

Plus for new and renewal;

The usual copy of PP , visa, entry stamp , WP

Also OT but was reading this elsewhere and it isn't widely known, recommended that when you sign ID pages sign on the picture, strike through the signature and state the purpose and date.

Edited by MacChine

^ So another discrepancy, Residency certificate needed or not ?? If WP then no??OK

​No discrepancy here, Residency certificate is required. As a WP has a confirmed address on it, it is also accepted.

Why can't they write it down and put it on the website ?? In English ??

You are in Thailand, Having the website in English would be nice but you can't expect it. As the 5 year DL are for long term stayares they expect rightly that you can reasonable Thai.

I noticed all the Russian / East Euro men wore shorts. ( That was a no- no my first times when they did it all in the big building, ( when getting there at 7 : 30 was too late. Dress polite [sic] the sign read !!)

Normal shorts where never a problem as long they are presentable and not to short.

There was no written test for renewal, and since I got a local skin clinic med-cert , that was," not needed for renewal," my eyes were not checked, nor was my health ascertained properly in any way other than I could jump through moderate hoops of bureaucracy.

Medical certificate is required for extension, As they see that you have one they assume everything is alright and don't need the certificate from you.

And expect to be there all day, and take a test written , and I believe, if you have already valid foreign license, you can bypass the driving test.

Written test and driving test is not required for the 5 year renewal.

Edited by Mario2008
quotes fixed

^ I disagree, shorts were not allowed on men not too long ago.

And the discrepancy is if you have a WP, you needn't bother with the CoR. I was told I needed both, ( the second time I called .)

And I certainly can and do expect this info to be in English. Thailand is a signatory to ASEAN and as such should have all governmental sites in English by now. Why does Thailand get held to such low standards? What's it got over everybody?? Oh, yeah.

Right and isn't it a core of what makes this place so tenuous to live in, they don't care, they don't have to.

Once again, the rules are the same for everyone... I really don't understand your problem...

A 30 day stamp will not be accepted.

Tourist visa gives you a years license.

Five year licence requires a Non-Imm visa.

Not true, I got mine on a tourist visa, never had a non-imm visa

Despite one experience from you, what KB said is true. For 5 year license non-immigrant is officially required, and normally this rule is enforced as well.

Well that ended up in my favor then! I didnt even offer them a bribe this time. I found these people particularly difficult to give tea money to in Phuket. Bangkok is much more smooth. When I was at the kon sorng near Chatuchak I put a healthy wedge in there, the sweet looking lady of about 25 years old could have got a job from Fagin she was that quick

Edited by IrishIvan

• 1 month later...

i just realized my 5 year license expired middle of last month so i'm now about 35 days over. if i go in next week for a renewal do you think i'll have a problem? i read somewhere that up to 60 days over was ok.

Edited by stevehaigh

i just realized my 5 year license expired middle of last month so i'm now about 35 days over. if i go in next week for a renewal do you think i'll have a problem? i read somewhere that up to 60 days over was ok.

You have up to a year to renew your license.

Any more than that and you will have to sit the written test again.

You have up to a year to renew your license.

Any more than that and you will have to sit the written test again.

good to know, thanks