Big bike with green book, with new engine.

Hey,

I have had a search and not a lot has turned up.

I'm looking for info from people that have been/are in my situation, or know of someone who has/is, thanks.

Long story short, I have now got a bike that has a book and tax/insurance, but the engine number isn't the same in the book.
The book has the correct frame number in, but the engine was replaced some time ago.
The guy I bought it from still has the bottom end with the original number on it, not that I see this being any use.

Has anyone owned a bike like this?
Is it at all possible to get an invoice for this engine to change the number?
Should I even bother on a bike less than 100k?

The only problem I can see is that the bike will never be in my name, is this correct?
As long as it's taxed/insured I shouldn't get in trouble from the BIB, right?

Thanks for any comments ahead of time,
Stefan

you cannot change the city of registration and i think one guy here posted like he cannot tax his bike anymore as well.

Still, you can use it but with a risk of bike getting confiscated.

nowadays, hearing the same stories from many people regarding mismatch of engine number and teh number on teh book.

be careful everyone!

It sounds like you have been conned. To tax and insure the bike you need to take it to a testing station where they take a rubbing of the frame number and engine number. They attach these numbers to a form and charge you a few Baht for this. you then take the form to the vehicle registration place along with the book and they give you a tax disc and issue you with the insurance. if the numbers on the form do not match the numbers on the book you are screwed, or have been.

Sorry. You have bought a lemon by the sounds of it my friend.

Thanks, for the comments thus far.

I have taken various bikes in before, and they've never taken the engine number at the testing station, It's always just the frame number.

SHF,

Have you seen them personally take the two rubbings?
If yes, it must be a recent thing, say the last year?

Edited by stefan2519

I have taken various bikes in before, and they've never taken the engine number at the testing station, It's always just the frame number.

SHF,

I have put 3 bikes through the teting station at Khampaeng Phet and they took both the engine and frame numbers every time. Twice I have had the province changed to Khampaeng Phet.

• Like 1

SHF,

I have put 3 bikes through the teting station at Khampaeng Phet and they took both the engine and frame numbers every time. Twice I have had the province changed to Khampaeng Phet.

Thanks for the reply!

Are you talking about the testing station in the DLT office?

The only reason I ask is because you said you've changed the name twice.

I know 100% they take the numbers at the DLT for change of name.

In order to get yearly tax/insurance of a bike older than 5 years, I've always taken the bike to a third party, usually near the DLT office.

I have never had the engine number taken at these private inspection places, just the frame.

I haven't taken a big bike in over a year.

Although, I took my Nouvo there last month, and they only took the frame number.

I think it's going to be a trip down to find out tomorrow for the sake of it, it's only 60thb for the doc.

SHF,

Thanks for the reply!

Are you talking about the testing station in the DLT office?

The only reason I ask is because you said you've changed the name twice.

I know 100% they take the numbers at the DLT for change of name.

In order to get yearly tax/insurance of a bike older than 5 years, I've always taken the bike to a third party, usually near the DLT office.

I have never had the engine number taken at these private inspection places, just the frame.

I haven't taken a big bike in over a year.

Although, I took my Nouvo there last month, and they only took the frame number.

I think it's going to be a trip down to find out tomorrow for the sake of it, it's only 60thb for the doc.

When I bought my Honda Phantom in Nakhon Si Thammarat the address was changed there but the bike was renumbered ask NST. They kept the book but sent it to my home in KPP a few days later. When time came to renew the tax at KPP I got yet another new number, this one KPP.

Later I bought a Yamaha Virago 535 in BKK (from a diplomat) and was given a BKK number plate. Time to tax it again in KPP got me a new KPP number plate.

Last December I bought a Honda CB 400 from Chon Buri and I am 100% certain I will have to re register it once again.

The one stop place next to the DLT at KPP will only do a one stop IF the bike is KPP registered so to get the insurance etc I will have to get the bike inspected at the DLT, be issued with a new licence and then the paperwork goes the other way to get the insurance as they will need the reg number. The next time is easy.

In other DLT places they may do it differently but having been to NST, BKK out at Chatuchak and KPP I found that KPP was the best, then NST followed by BKK though all were fair and honest.

Thanks, for the time with that post!

I know the name/province will never be changed. Unless, I can get a legal invoice for the engine in it.

It's funny you said NST, because that's where I do it.
I do it in the ring road inspection office, about 2km from the DLT office.

Just so you know, you can tax/insure a bike from say BKK in NST without changing the number plate.
Any DLT office offers this service nation wide.
if you want to change the name in the book, then you'll have to get plates to the province/address that the new name is registered to.

Stefan

It sounds like you have been conned. To tax and insure the bike you need to take it to a testing station where they take a rubbing of the frame number and engine number. They attach these numbers to a form and charge you a few Baht for this. you then take the form to the vehicle registration place along with the book and they give you a tax disc and issue you with the insurance. if the numbers on the form do not match the numbers on the book you are screwed, or have been.

Sorry. You have bought a lemon by the sounds of it my friend.

Complete rubbish ^^^^^^

Hey,

I have had a search and not a lot has turned up.

I'm looking for info from people that have been/are in my situation, or know of someone who has/is, thanks.

Long story short, I have now got a bike that has a book and tax/insurance, but the engine number isn't the same in the book.

The book has the correct frame number in, but the engine was replaced some time ago.

The guy I bought it from still has the bottom end with the original number on it, not that I see this being any use.

Has anyone owned a bike like this?

Is it at all possible to get an invoice for this engine to change the number?

Should I even bother on a bike less than 100k?

The only problem I can see is that the bike will never be in my name, is this correct?

As long as it's taxed/insured I shouldn't get in trouble from the BIB, right?

Thanks for any comments ahead of time,

Stefan

If you can get invoices for the engine you can change it in the book. You don't say where you are or where the bike is registered!

What bike?

You may be able to get it changed showing the old engine and some tea money.

But I would wait a few months for the car import thing to die down.

You should be able to tax it by going to your insurance broker and getting them to do the paperwork ( engine rubbing of old engine)

Have fun.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

You know if the engine is a replacement ( same model etc. )

Couldn't you just have a good mechanic split the cases & put back the case half

from the original engine that carries the serial number?

Edited by mania

The other guy that has the original engine number on the casing, that's great! It is the part you need. As long as the bike was legit in the first place...if he can give you that vital part to take to DLT you maybe able to get it sorted out.

But on the other hand it maybe better to let an agent do the legwork for you. Often they have relationships with people who maybe sympathetic to your cause.

• Like 1

You know if the engine is a replacement ( same model etc. )

Couldn't you just have a good mechanic split the cases & put back the case half

from the original engine that carries the serial number?

Good mechanic- Thailand,....... where???

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

^^ What BSJ, Mania, Thaicbr and Yankee said.

I haven't been in this exact situation,

but with the 'original' engine case/block whatever in hand,

I wouldn't think you'd have a particularly big problem getting it sorted?

FWIW re:Dodgy books & DLT

I have an 8-year-old 'big bike' with a recycled book (says it's over 20 years old) that I recently had transferred into my name through a 3rd party.

The transfer still involved going to the DLT in person and I brought my 'helper' as I can't speak Thai.

I was told the bike must be ridden in, and in this case I had my helper on the back at his request.

My bike had a recycled book as mentioned, and I was quite worried about this as it was the first bike in that condition I have owned here.

I have had the bike for about a year while waiting on the green book to get sorted (usual story).

Anyway, I get to the DLT and the guy starts going over the bike. He didn't care that it was missing working indicators, mirrors or a working tail light, or the fact that the engine clearly had a single cylinder as opposed to the registered 400cc in-line 4. He spent a couple of minutes inspecting the bike's frame number making sure it matched the masking tape in the back of the green book - all good.

The guy then started looking for the engine number, and I pointed to where it had been stamped in (in the factory location) and thought all would be fine as I knew that the engine/frame numbers matched. However he seemed to be taking ages with this part. With my helper gone, and no way of easily communicating the slightly technical questions I had, I just had to sit there and watch as the DLT guy then brought over a more experienced guy. They stuffed around for a bit and all I could understand was a few 'mai dai's' . They then went over to the the boss. I was now really worried as I wasn't exactly sure what the problem was, but I was guessing it had nothing to do with mirrors. More mai dais from the boss and I was really thinking it could be all over, until they found the 'other' engine number. It had been also written on the front-lower section of the engine case which was slightly hidden behind some plastic guards. The number on the second location matched the 'imprint' of the number on the masking tape at the back of the green book - what do you know? Ten seconds later all was good and I was told I had to wait a bit for some receipts and then I was free to ride the bike home. I would go back to my helper a few days later to pick up the brand new 4-digit number plate and brand new green book with my name in it.

Some things I learnt from my particular experience in Lad Prao, BKK:

1. Recycled green books seem to be 100% legit in principal. (ie. ones that were done properly through the DLT, not forged ones etc)

2. They most certainly check BOTH the ENGINE and FRAME numbers.

3. Both numbers must match and be EXACT imprints of the numbers on the tape.

4. Riding the bike in seemed to be the only 'test' the bike went through?

5. It cost nothing - for me less than Bt2000 including my helpers fees, back tax from a previous owner and a few other things.

6. My bike is not at all designed for the street, and the DLT couldn't care less about the "unroadworthyness" of the bike.

7. The whole inspection process only takes a few minutes.

I obviously still need to get my bike sorted out before I can safely ride on the road, but I just wanted to share my experience as it is hard in these green book situations. The DLT seem to vary a lot in procedures/requirements/outcomes and hopefully this info. will help someone out there.

Edited by denkiblue555