Khaosan rd & Patpong

josho86

hi all smile.png

this will be my second trip to bangkok, i have already ventured to soi cowboy, soi 4 and nana plaza in the past. next trip i want to check out Khaosan rd & Patpong.

would like to here from BM's of there personal experiences, Like recommendations on go go bars, pubs and restaurants

your feedback will be appreciated

For what it's worth:

The Pintsman for great selection of beers and good food. On Silom, going toward river from Sala Daeng BTS station, go past Soi Convent. Look for the Citibank branch. It's underneath.

In Patong 2, try Cosmos. Thai owned, with some nice hostesses, good vibe. Reminds me of old American style bar.

Then there's Le Strip go go (Patpong 2), which has been hit or miss. You can get on-site "service" in the curtained booths.

Black Pagoda is a second floor place above Patong 2, but not of the ripoff kind Patpong has been infamous for. Or at least it wasn't last year. It's hostess style place with some dancers in the windows. Just look up from Patong 2 road.

If you have a different kind of itch, try Bar Bar (Patpong 2), an S&M place. Never been but couple of friends like that "kind of style."

Patpong 1, the wide road with the annoying vendors and pushy second-floor bar touts, is a place I stay away from. Far away. Only exception is the good pizza at Madrid, another bar in the classic American style mode like Cosmos.

Yeah, I think you are much better off at Nana or SC.

But you can take the red #15 to Silom and then a taxi back if you have to see PP.

If you tire of it early but still.have some fight, take the bts back.to.ploen chit and wslk.to Nana or bts to Asoke and walk.to Cowboy.

Cateful for katoeys and muggers.

There are no gogos or bar girl places at Kowsan Road. Mostly backpacker orientated bars with the odd Thai bar thrown in for good measure.

Decent bars are Brick Bar (Thai live ska and reggae bar), Molly Bar (live Thai music every night), the small blues bar on nearbye Samsem 13. The Rooftop bar with the live music can be a good atmoshphere but packed with backpackers so if they annoy you avoid there.

To me both are Meh. But Kaosan can be fun for a few beers and some laughs people watching. Rule number one is if you don't want to shower Kaosan is the place for you. So many Dreadloc unclean backbackers from all over the world there it's a laugh. People on their different levels of feeling Zen. But I believe there are a few places that are supposed to be fun and lots of party drunk people walking around being drunk. Patpong can be a trap as stated before. Just keep your head about you and you will be fine. Lots of running scams there and even the bars will try to take the piss out of you with suprise charges on your bill for obscene mystery charges.

Enjoy and post on how it went. If you want to see some other places there are a string of bars accross from Kasert University (Nam Won Wan rd) that are full of people drinking and trying to practise their english.

Patpong is a place you visit once, then never bother with again once you have found the other places you mentioned. Tourist trap.

If you aren't staying in Kaosan, there isn't much reason to go there. It's also not the most convenient place to get to/from if you are in the Sukhumvit area. Maybe wander over if you are visiting the palace/temples area.

Patpong 2: Badabing & Black Pagoda are worth a visit. I used to like Cosmos, but too many "undead" customers by now.

Patpong 1: ...well...no!

For pubs: Pintsman and After Hours are quiet okay.

Rule of thumb: Never go up any stairs in Patpong except the elevator to Black Pagoda. Never let any GUYS drag you in somewhere. You might be presented with a price list that suddenly turns into 10x-50x as much, just to negotiate you down to 5x exaggerated prices after lots of shouting. Ping Pong shows in Patpong = a big NO NO. THESE ARE 100% TOURIST TRAPS, even when Thais are with you.

There's a nice pool place on the 3rd floor ( elevator ) of the 2nd last building ( Surawong Rd side ) between PP1 and PP2; they have about 10 pool tables and leave you alone.

Previous posters mentioned Black Pagoda and Bada Bing on Patpong 2, that's OK places. Count your drinks in BB though. Do your research beforehand which bars mix Girls with Ladyboys ( these 2 aren't ). Opposite Bada Bing is also an OK gogo bar. Prices on Patpong are higher than e.g. Nana or Cowboy.

The German Restaurant in Patpong 2 next to Foodland is quite good. Foodland now also offers 24h food which is actually pretty good as well.

Khaosan : Somewhere around the middle there's a nice place called Roof Bar on the 2nd floor. Relaxed place with good acoustic music and you have a nice overview of the street from the top if you get a seat there. Check it out

The only reason for me to visit Patpong is Safari.

Just a relaxed atmosphere about any hassle with very music.

Also a lot of expacts are using this bar as their watering hole.

Ah! So Safari is still there. It had a reputation as a relaxed place way back in the late 70's and early 80's. There and the Grand Prix were to nice places to hang out.

I find Patpong prices are cheaper than Nana or Soi Cowbow, but I haven't been to Bangkok for two years. Safari is the place for me, I've been going there for over 25 years and have had great times. The prices are low, very few short stay tourists, no ladyboys, and they play great rock 'n roll. Although sometimes there are few dancers and reading Stick from a couple of weeks ago, it sounds like it might just be a hostess bar now. Be sure to go to Mitzu Kitchen for a steak, great steak and great value.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah! So Safari is still there. It had a reputation as a relaxed place way back in the late 70's and early 80's. There and the Grand Prix were to nice places to hang out.

I know Safari is still there, but what venue is Grand Prix now?

I find Patpong prices are cheaper than Nana or Soi Cowbow, but I haven't been to Bangkok for two years. Safari is the place for me, I've been going there for over 25 years and have had great times. The prices are low, very few short stay tourists, no ladyboys, and they play great rock 'n roll. Although sometimes there are few dancers and reading Stick from a couple of weeks ago, it sounds like it might just be a hostess bar now. Be sure to go to Mitzu Kitchen for a steak, great steak and great value.

Be sure to go to Mitzu Kitchen for a steak, great steak and great value.

I think the OP would prefer a fur burger to a steak.

Safari is still there and rocking a little bit sometimes.

They still have dancers but only one stage and not 100% of the time.

All depends on how much people are inside and how many girls they have working.

But it is not a hostess bar only.

But the music is still the same and the girls are one of the best you will find in that kind of bars.

Very relaxed and friendly. Not to young and not to old.

I know Safari is still there, but what venue is Grand Prix now?

I think Grand Prix went out of business when the vendors moved into Patphong 1. By the time that happened, I had left Bangkok.

Patpong is having a resurgence these days. Along with the bars already mentioned (Black Pagoda, Bada Bing) I'd add Electric Blue, The Strip and Pink Panther (all soi 2). Even the King's bars on soi 1 are worth a look in on occasions.

Safari is still going strong - 80s decor and 80s music (and 80s girls!).

Madrid has great food.

It depends how old you are. At 44 when i was last down the KHaoSan Rd i felt way too old. Its basically full of kids with backpacks trying to widen their horizons but actually achieving the complete opposite as everyone knows backpackers in Thailand all just roll around together in a giant protective bubble from Khaosan up to Chiang Mai and then to to Ko Phangan.

If you have been to Nana and Soi Cowboy then you really don't need to visit Patpong. They are much better version of a Bangkok red light district.

The Grand Prix, I spent many an afternoon there watching old boxing fights, chatting with pretty girls, and eating Reuben Sandwiches delivered from the Derby King across the road. Grand Prix was bought out by the Kings Group.

So what of the Kings Group venues is Grand Prix called now, anyone?

I think it is King Castle II or III. If you walk from King's Corner Bar along Patpong to Silom, on your left I believe it's the first Kings Bar.

• 10 months later...

The Safari Bar is the only reason why I venture into Patpong. Good atmosphere, friendly ladies and ice cold beer. I've been going there for years and never had any problems there thumbsup.gif

Agree, I'm going there for many years and always have a great time without any hassle.

Last time the girls even bought me a birthday cake.

• 1 year later...

Be sure to go to Mitzu Kitchen for a steak, great steak and great value.

I think the OP would prefer a fur burger to a steak.

I'll second the Mizu Kitchen visit. It's one of the oldest continuously operated places on Patpong. I first went there in the '60's. I stopped in to have a look not long ago and it was like walking into a time warp. The place is exactly the same as it was when I first ate there nearly 50 years ago!