Thai woman unveils pics with monk

webfact

Woman unveils pics with monk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A woman, who has been the subject of speculation in previous weeks as the reason for renowned Japanese abbot Phra Ajahn Mitsuo Gavesako leaving the monkhood, has introduced herself publicly through her Facebook page.

A single mother, 51-year-old Suttirat "Ann" Muttamara runs a widely known medical beauty centre. Her Facebook page carries a number of undated photos showing her posing with the former monk, now wearing normal clothes.

Suttirat is an elder sister of former Democrat Party candidate Vittayen Muttamara, who served as a secretary to a former PM's Office minister in the Abhisit Vejjajiva government, and is now the director of the Democrat-run satellite television, Blue Sky Channel.

Traditionally, Buddhist monks in Thailand who take a vow of celibacy are not allowed to closely associate with women. Such social restrictions and Buddhist disciplines - which bar them from even touching women - is what earns them reverence from their followers.

The former monk, a Japanese national, was highly revered throughout his nearly 38 years in the monkhood. He was especially praised for his profound sermons and strict observations of Dharma.

Debate has been widespread as to whether he left the monkhood before or after his intimacy with the woman.

Mitsuo, whose family name is "Shihabashi" and is now believed to have returned to Japan, was scheduled to make a video statement yesterday over allegations that his relationship with Suttirat began after she allegedly drugged him and then threatened to blackmail him if he reported her.

However, Mitsuo has made no statement.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-29
  • Like 1

Philosophical Abbot Quit Monkhood For 'Fateful Love'

monk.jpg
Picture: KHAOSOD English

BANGKOK: -- The Japanese monk who has been gracing the scene of Buddhism in Thailand for 38 years as a soft-spoken, philosophical monk shocked the nation when it surfaced earlier this month that he had suddenly left monkhood and Thailand, leaving behind the secluded monastery and charity foundation he helped found.

Now, after weeks of speculation and lack of any public statement from the monk himself, it appears that Phra (monk) Mitsuo Gavesako has ended his career for a woman.

On Thursday night (27 June), individual who identified herself as Ms. Suttirat Muttamara posted photos on her Facebook account showing her and Phra Mitsuo - real name Mr. Mitsuo Shibahashi in their trips to various places. In the photos, set as "Public", Mr. Mitsuo can be seen wearing casual clothes and expressing close affection to Ms. Suttirat.

Ms. Suttirat explained on her Facebook that she is revealing these photos to "defend her dignity" after she had been accused of drugging Mr. Mitsuo into having an affair with her and then blackmailing him into relationship. She insisted that Mr. Mitsuo has "love" for her, and said that Mr. Mitsuo himself would speak publicly about the matter.

The photos are undated and there is no confirmation whether they were taken before or after Mr. Mitsuo′s defrocking.

The difference can be crucial for his spiritual followers. In Buddhist dogma, monks cannot touch or have relationship in women during their ordination. In fact, the more strict Buddhists would even say that any lust or desire in one′s mind is not forbidden for the monks.

The news is made even more striking because of Phra Mitsuo′s writings during his years under monkhood. He has written extensively on the need for detachment from emotion as way of spiritual salvation, and some of his most famous quotes are praise of individuals who do not have relationship.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qUXpNVFV5Tmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-29

• Like 1

Good luck to him!

I agree completely! Good luck to him!! He is very smart to do what he did when he did when it, rather than hide it.

Who has made the allegations about drugging and blackmailing? It seems that neither of the couple agree with such allegations, so how can a third party have any say in this?

It seems to me that he followed the Buddhist dogma very closely for many years, and then fell in love with a young woman, as a result of which he has now withdrawn from the monkhood. What exactly is wrong with that?

Perhaps people could have rightly condemned him if he had stayed in the monkhood whilst continuing to have a relationship with the woman, but he hasn't....!!

• Like 2

Kings have been known to abdicate thrones for a woman, why not a monk?

I guess that's a personal decision on abdicating a throne for a women or making job changes for a woman. Everybody has to make their own decisions but I promise I do not let women sway my opinion. Both my ex-wife's will agree on that I am sure.w00t.gif

• Like 1

I can think of one king who in a book I've read by Scotty Bower says both the king's wife and and him enjoyed every sexual encounter imaginable.

The truth will probably never be known since the only person alive is the author.

I guess that's a personal decision on abdicating a throne for a women or making job changes for a woman. Everybody has to make their own decisions but I promise I do not let women sway my opinion. Both my ex-wife's will agree on that I am sure.w00t.gif

A quote for you friend, from Jack Kerouac's On The Road, on the matter of compromise in relationships.

"You're f......d if you do and f.......d if you don't"

I think you are all missing the real reason why this story was put in the tabloids and is causing problems.

Suttirat is an elder sister of former Democrat Party candidate Vittayen Muttamara, who served as a secretary to a former PM's Office minister in the Abhisit Vejjajiva government, and is now the director of the Democrat-run satellite television, Blue Sky Channel.

An opportunity to slag of the opposition perhaps ?

Those dam democrats. thumbsup.gif

I guess that's a personal decision on abdicating a throne for a women or making job changes for a woman. Everybody has to make their own decisions but I promise I do not let women sway my opinion. Both my

ex-wife's will agree on that I am sure.:w00t:

Perhaps that is why they are your ex,.

It is said that a wise man changes his mind sometimes but a fool never.

Maybe??

...yeah! And don't forget your lottery winnings, all the electronics you bought from Tuk Com and Power Buy, and the array of designer sun-glasses, not to mention all the "Gifts" you received from very wealthy businessmen and politicians for your "blessings" being bestowed upon their blood-stained heads. Are you sure you can fit them all in that Lear-Jet when you get a "courtesy" ride to your multi-million baht mansion somewhere off an exotic coast; say, France maybe? Heh heh.

• Like 1

I don't speak Thai but my wife said the YT explains he has been a monk for a long time and planned to be forever, then met the lady and is now already married. So, not sure why the article said he hadn't made a public statement.

Edited by 55Jay