Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

Nothing more than another Thai scam to tax foreigners even more. Truly, truly amazing, and spouting bold faced lies to boot - free medical treatment for foreigners, who is this guy bullshitting?

The article a couple of weeks ago first mooting this idea stated a limit of 30,000 baht. If this will be the amount of cover on offer it's just not worth it.

The problem is only the serious cases where people are hospitalised with no insurance cover. Nothing else should matter.

As a concept it is fine (with proper limits of liability) but it could prove to be an administrative nightmare with a knock-on effect to the Thai tourism industry.

My guess is that it will fall by the wayside with hardly a mention in the press.

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

I would sure like to get a list of the state hospitals in Bangkok that offer free services to farang.

Wow, so much negativity about a good idea. Any sensible traveller already has travel medical insurance. Many countries insist that you need travel medical insurance to enter their country. I don't see why anyone would thing this is a bad idea. As for the ones who have said if your over 60 with a pre-existing condition, I feel for you, but if something does happen while you are here why should the Thai health care system be responsible for you?

There are policies that you can get I assure you, they are just very expensive.

If you were to arrive at the airport and at the immigration check point you had to present your passport, arrival card and proof of medical insurance to the immigration officer and if you don't have it they direct you to the booth selling it, so what. Not like Thailand would be unique on that policy.

The whole point is that it's a blatant lie that we receive free medical care. In fact the hospitals will confiscate your passport until you pay double what the average Thai pays.

• Like 1

Not a problem for me I guess. But health care here is so cheap here. I don't understand why you just would not pay for it and go on. If it is really bad go back home? I have had two out patient surgerys ( dirt cheap ) dental care cheap compared to the states.

I dropped my home insurance in America. And keep only SS and a small supplement policy there. Keep a few thousand tucked back and go on.

My two cents.

I want the old Thailand back!

This new bs that keeps on coming out for the past 7-8 years just makes me shake my head in astonishment.

Thailand is killing the golden goose by a 1000 cuts here and there.

Some of you expats just lap it up like good little puppydogs.

easy to print up fake health documents from the internet

That sounds like a plan except what if the immigration officials check up on it? Nowadays the internet is a double-edged sword and lieing to a government worker like immigration could get you deported persona-non-grata!

easy to print up fake health documents from the internet

That sounds like a plan except what if the immigration officials check up on it? Nowadays the internet is a double-edged sword and lieing to a government worker like immigration could get you deported persona-non-grata!
There are how many nationalities of visitors, and the will mostly insure outside the country?

You reckon that an immigration officer is going to have time to check? It basically makes the point of visa on arrival a misnomer.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Not a problem for me I guess. But health care here is so cheap here. I don't understand why you just would not pay for it and go on. If it is really bad go back home? I have had two out patient surgerys ( dirt cheap ) dental care cheap compared to the states.

I dropped my home insurance in America. And keep only SS and a small supplement policy there. Keep a few thousand tucked back and go on.

My two cents.

Medical care in Thailand isn't that cheap (anymore). What are you talking about? I spent 2 nights at a private Chiang Mai hospital for 3-4 tiny kidney stones that I passed by myself where my insurance company paid over 35,000 Baht. That might be a lot less than the USA but as this amount has to be paid by everyone if they don't insurance, I can assure you it's no small amount - many procedures can cost well over 100,000 Baht a bankrupting amount even for many expats and foreign tourists. Medical bills at hospitals like Bamrungrad regularly exceed those in many western countries though not the USA.

what happened about changing which side cars drive was that just talk ,health insurance is good when you travel and in some counties to live in it is a must ,Uk have free health cover ,but is it worth having these days

The discussion about changing from left to right hand driving was an April Fool's Joke. There was never any serious discussion about it and in a country with very few foreign registered vehicles it will never happen as there's no need for it. The average Bangkokian will find they might spot a Lao or Malaysian registered car about 3-5 times a year - hardly much reason to consider changing the side of driving. Also, when was the last time a Lao or Malaysian truck entered Bangkok? Answer: never.

Tomtom I don't know about Laos but I am quite sure Malaysia and Thailand drive on the same side of the road already!!! wai.gifthumbsup.gif

How can you not know that Laos drives on the right? Yes Malaysia drives on the left...but 3 out of 4 of Thailand's neighbors drive on the right unlike Thailand, which is why the April Fool's joke was believed by so many. The reason I mentioned Malaysia and Laos is because only cars registered in these two countries are regularly seen driving inside Thailand although generally no further than about 50km from their respective borders and because Cambodian vehicles are very rarely seen inside Thailand even in border regions with Cambodia very few cross and Burmese vehicles can only travel a limited distance inside Thailand. However, irrespective of where they are registered or which side the steering wheel is on, foreign registered vehicles in Thailand are relatively rarely seen - Lao vehicles are far more numerous in Vietnam than in Thailand but this could be due to Thailand driving on the "wrong" side.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

That is just a big fat lie..... I can go to the public hospitals and get treatment at the same rate as the thai people I guess.i.e. I pay a quite low charge In my case they checked my heart with different machines and checked the rythm and i paid something like 200 baht only... But free - no way

Glegolo

Insurance mandatory for foreigners it is bulls***, It is just to fill up the pocket of some people. No way it can happen. Thailand is not a developed country, then why such a thing? Really do not understand. It is always an option, not mandatory. Who cares about the foreign life? LOL

The answer is nobody, they care only about how much money you can put in the country. As much as better!

• Like 1

Only way I can get to end of this is by posting. "finally the old farts (over 60 years old) are kept away from the honey pots." Uh, you ever been here? How you keep honey pots away from old farts is more like it. I have BUPA, but have no fear of hitting 65 because I am an American and we have Medicare! Huh? oh doesn't cover overseas.... sorry..... barbarian country (USA that is)

BTW tell me a country that has free health care. Even Canada will cost you money if you are a traveler. If you are hurt int he US you are screwed if you do not have good health care.

I agree that you should either be able to prove you have health insurance or for us that have been here awhile the funds in a Thai bank to support you if you are injured.

UK has free health care, for residents.

Free at the point of delivery. It's not free. If you're a tourist you're expected to pay for all but emergency treatment.

You weren't specific, you simply made the statement that no country offers free health care hence you have been corrected.

I didn't actually make any statement at all prior to the one you've just replied to.

That is just a big fat lie..... I can go to the public hospitals and get treatment at the same rate as the thai people I guess.i.e. I pay a quite low charge In my case they checked my heart with different machines and checked the rythm and i paid something like 200 baht only... But free - no way

Glegolo

Yes that has been my experience too (I paid the same as locals, although for emergency care they have the 30 Baht card) but private hospitals are expensive. Medicines are almost always the most expensive part of going to a hospital here - the doctor's fee may only be 200 Baht or something (even in a private hospital it may not be that much either) but then don't be surprised if you end up paying 1000 Baht or more just for 3-4 packets of pills half of which you might not need anyway.

Sounds like nothing more than another money grab to me.

Here's a better idea.

"the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service"

How about simply legislating that state hospitals NOT provide foreigners with free medical service. Why do they anyway?

For reason of humany, to which perhaps you don't believe.

I had cover for my dear old dad - 72 years old

He fell in my condo

I took him to hospital in Convent Rd

as a precaution they swiped my AMEX card before doing anything

then they brought out the machine that goes ping and then did every test known to man

after 3 days in hospital it was determined by the doctors that my dad fell over in my condo

the bill was paid on my AMEX

I then made a claim with the said insurance co

THEY determined that the claim was rejected as it was a pre existing ailment!

I appealed and said how could a fall be a pre existing ailment?

No answer - no refund

Good luck with insurance companies!!!

Not all in this world works as it should. Give it to a lawyer.

As a general principle having some sort of health insurance is a sound idea.

However the justification for this potential extra tax on visitors being to avoid the Thai hospitals having to provide health services to visitors for free, is a sham.

I don't know of free hospital/health services for foreigners in Thailand.

The public, or city ones. You may not know, but there are.

They are not supposed to be free, but they may become if one does not have the money to pay.

BTW tell me a country that has free health care. Even Canada will cost you money if you are a traveler. If you are hurt int he US you are screwed if you do not have good health care.

I agree that you should either be able to prove you have health insurance or for us that have been here awhile the funds in a Thai bank to support you if you are injured.

Free at the point of delivery. It's not free. If you're a tourist you're expected to pay for all but emergency treatment.

You have to pay even for emergency, and that is right and normal. As I'm trying to say in other posts, the problems arise when the costs are high and/or the patient can't (or won't) pay.

You have to pay even for emergency, and that is right and normal. As I'm trying to say in other posts, the problems arise when the costs are high and/or the patient can't (or won't) pay.

No you don't.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1086.aspx?categoryid=68

Emergency treatment

Regardless of how long you’re staying or your nationality, you’re entitled to free emergency NHS treatment from:

• a primary care practice, such as a GP surgery
  • an A&E department
  • an NHS walk-in centre

Sounds like nothing more than another money grab to me.

Here's a better idea.

"the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service"

How about simply legislating that state hospitals NOT provide foreigners with free medical service. Why do they anyway?

Wouldn't that be a lot easier than setting up a whole new bureaucratic arm?

No it would not be easier. A hospital cannot simply turn away a critically ill patient. Consider the scenario of an elderly farang dropped off at the ER of Patong General where the admissions nurse says, oh, no insurance outside to the curb you go to die. The foreign community would be up in arms. It is unethical, immoral and downright wrong to deny emergency healthcare.

One of the criteria, western immigration officers do look at is if a visa applicant will have travel medical insurance. Some countries require it, others just make it an item on the general assessment checklist. It is not an unreasonable requirement, particularly when one considers the expense incurred by some hospitals such as Patong General that shoulders the burden of uninsured visitors. Why shouldn't visitors take responsibility for their lives?

To those that complain that they cannot purchase insurance, why not be more accurate and say, you don't want to pay the cost of insurance, rather than you cannot obtain insurance. For the small minority of visitors that are uninsurable, the Thai program would provide some measure of coverage, which is better than nothing. Thailand has the same problem with uninsured visitors as does Australia, the UK, France, etc. It drains the public health care budget.

We're a long way off from the implementation of such a mandatory requirement and the study group will have to deal with the fact that a mandatory insurance scheme will most likely collect the highest risk visitors. The premium will have to reflect that.

• Like 1

Thai government hospitals are free for Thais not for foreigners. Maybe they should implement a reciprocal policy in the UK so that Thais turning up at a British hospital are required to either pay or show their insurance documents? I wonder how many xenophobic Asian countries are left in the 21st century?

Non residents in the UK are only entitled to initial NHS (free) emergency care in an Accident and Emergency department.

Anything else, including admission after the initial A & E care, has to be paid for; and if the person leaves the UK without paying then any future UK visa application could (probably will) be refused until they pay the outstanding amount.

Except for a few countries with whom the UK has reciprocal arrangements.

Even other EEA nationals have to show they have the relevant insurance card issued in their home country in order to receive anything more than initial emergency care.

Edit, reading further, I see this point has already been covered.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

No you don't.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1086.aspx?categoryid=68

Emergency treatment

Regardless of how long you’re staying or your nationality, you’re entitled to free emergency NHS treatment from:

• a primary care practice, such as a GP surgery
  • an A&E department
  • an NHS walk-in centre

Sorry, I missed that this was about the UK specifically.

I understand that if a foreigner is treated for emergency in a public Thai hospital, it it will not be free, but very cheap.

By any mean I think he/she should pay that and be grateful. Even if a Thai would be treated for free in the foreigner's home country.

This guy's sister admits he should have had insurance.

Family of Birmingham coma man stuck in Thailand face huge medical bill

Single Dennis Asquith, aged 66, suffered a brain haemorrhage in the Pattaya area of Thailand two weeks ago.

Despite an operation to remove a clot, he remains in a coma, cannot breathe unassisted, and may have suffered brain damage.

His sister Pam Danks, aged 52, said relatives had already forked out almost £2,000 for his treatment after he failed to take out insurance – but they had no idea how they would continue to fund it.

“I know it’s his own fault he didn’t have insurance but we don’t know what to do or how we are going to raise the money for his future treatment,” she said.

Anyone know what happened to him?

The FCO advice for Thailand includes

There are excellent private hospitals in Thailand but they can be expensive. Public hospitals and clinics in Thailand are not always up to UK standards, particularly outside Bangkok and in the coastal islands. Many hospitals require guarantee of payment before they will start treatment. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

(My emphasis)

I cannot understand why anyone would go against such sound advice.

• Like 1