bangkok or phuket

ArranP

Difficult 1. For educational options i reckon bkk would be better. Easy as well to go to the beaches in the weekend. A metropolitan city is in my opinion better for the children than living in a tourist area. On choosing bkk the balance for the family is better and safer i guess.

Difficult 1. For educational options i reckon bkk would be better. Easy as well to go to the beaches in the weekend. A metropolitan city is in my opinion better for the children than living in a tourist area. On choosing bkk the balance for the family is better and safer i guess.

Thank you.

Agree with benalibina.

We could be facing the same decision ourselves in the coming years, and if I was being selfish, i'd live in Phuket. But with kids part of the equation, it would have to be Bangkok. More international, more options all around.

I have lived in Phuket 4 2 years previously, now I live in bangkok I can say I'm much happier here and would never think about moving back to Phuket.

I find the ppl more genuine, it isn't a tourist trap and I think there's alot more to do.

I have lived in Phuket 4 2 years previously, now I live in bangkok I can say I'm much happier here and would never think about moving back to Phuket.

I find the ppl more genuine, it isn't a tourist trap and I think there's alot more to do.

How do you really feel Lonewolf77 smile.png?

He has lived in Phuket 4 2 years perviously, now he lives in bangkok and he can say he's much happier there and would never think about moving back to Phuket.

He finds the ppl more genuine, it isn't a tourist trap and he thinks there's alot more to do.

• Like 1

Bangkok any day of the week. Fly down to samui or head to koh Chang on your down time.

For young children I would recommend Samui but older they need a good school Bangkok is the way to go.

thank you.

Thank you everyone so far, BKK is more popular.

Interesting topic, I have 2 kids age 3&6 and have lived Phuket for 8 years with them but have also lived part-time in Bangkok having a condo and some business in BKK.

I always imagined Phuket better for kids, fresh air, beach, activities etc. Agreed lots of Phuket can be a tourist traps.

How do you find your school run and the school fees (and where do u live)?

FYI PIA and BIS schools IP in Phuket costs about 500,000thb !!!!

EP at Kajonkiet with good facilities circa 120,000thb

School runs can be anything (depending on location obviously from 2mins to 45 minutes ONE Way)

Where do you take the kids out on weekends, ps not a complaint, just looking for ideas .....

• 1 month later...

I have 2 children, girl aged 5 and boy aged 2, born in the UK but now live in Phuket, and they goto the British International School.

I am recently divorced and have nanny to help me raise them. I stay in Thailand because i) its warm here and ii) the children can see and know their mum who lives in Nakhon Sawan.

To make the best of what is my situation, I ask myself where in Thailand should I live ? Phuket or Bangkok, ( I don't see I can live anywhere else in Thailand due to the location of the international schools )

I think if I stay in Phuket, it gives the children a "baan nok" (countryside) environment to grow up in. However due to Phuket being a remote island, I'm afraid I would need to establish a "business" here to give them when they come to leave school, so they can have an income similar to what they would get in Bangkok. ( I currently I anticipate 100k baht per month at todays levels is needed per person)

If I were to live in Bangkok, I would like to put them into Bangkok Patana School, and choose an housing estate within 30 minutes drive of the school. In Bangkok they would i) be open to large social circle ii) have a large city to explore iii) have access to all the jobs in Bangkok when they leave school, with city salaries (i would image) upto 100k per month per person.

I ask myself, do I want my children to grow up in a countryside "baan nok" environment or a well connected city environment with lots of jobs?

I know myself as I child I grew up in a countryside/town environment, I enjoyed the play, relaxed pace of life, and I think I would like the same for my children. But, I would not like to remove any chance from them of earning an "good" income, which I feel they would get if they grew up in Bangkok, but maybe more difficult for them to get if they grew up in Phuket ?

This is as far as I have come in my thinking, I have lived in Thailand for a year and half now....

I don't think you can appraoch this topic so simply. Both places have a variety of options which you can tailor to suit your own needs. It is possible to live in Bangkok and be away from much of the traffic and noise if you want the best of both worlds, though that will usually involve some commuting.

I think you need to state what kind of person you are and what you want to do in your chosen location before others can make an informed decision rather than one that sounds like the result of a coin flip.

I don't think you can appraoch this topic so simply. Both places have a variety of options which you can tailor to suit your own needs. It is possible to live in Bangkok and be away from much of the traffic and noise if you want the best of both worlds, though that will usually involve some commuting.

I think you need to state what kind of person you are and what you want to do in your chosen location before others can make an informed decision rather than one that sounds like the result of a coin flip.

I would like not to limit either of the my childrens future income by staying in Phuket. I'm ok, I already have a good business which I manage remotely.

Edited by ArranP