The last day at The Olde Bell

OldeBellPedr

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hear of the demise of the Olde Bell. I've never been there myself but it sounds like it was a good place.

My Uncle has been in Chiang Mai for a few years and I believe this was his regular watering hole. I'm trying to find some contact info for him as he has not been in touch for some time. If any ex Olde Bell regulars here knew James Johnstone-Hall I'd welcome a quick PM

Thanks

Jon

Seems the old bell sign is cursed.Tony of Andrews who bought the sign for his bar in San Sai has now closed down this week .Sorry to see him go .

Andrews appears to have reopened a few weeks ago. Still empty every time I drive past though.

I hear the Olde Bell, building and all, has been bought by a Scot who has spent hundreds of thousands of baht completely gutting it, installing a new kitchen and bar. Upstairs accommodation is also to be refurbished. I have not heard an opening date.

re

Dave does it again.

heres a better pic taken a few days later with the bar being built and people working on it

the oil man is in the background on the left and a big bloke

that dave2 wont be upsetting :)

dave2

ps ... ive been told the yellow exchange booth will be taken away soon coz its lease on the ground is up !

post-42592-0-73917500-1389747923_thumb.j

• Like 1

re

Dave does it again.

heres a better pic taken a few days later with the bar being built and people working on it

the oil man is in the background on the left and a big bloke

that dave2 wont be upsetting smile.png

dave2

ps ... ive been told the yellow exchange booth will be taken away soon coz its lease on the ground is up !

I understand it would have been gone already but the owner signed another 6 months lease unbeknownst to the buyer.

re

I have not heard an opening date.

does this job offer sign tell us anything about it ?

dave2

They are looking for waitresses and cook, so that's predictable I guess. Well at least we know its not another massage place.

A massage place with a difference? wink.png

re

Well at least we know its not another massage place.

it could have been worse sad.png

re

I understand it would have been gone already but the owner signed another 6 months lease unbeknownst to the buyer.

typical thai ! ... bend over farang sad.png

dave2

ps ... arnt we lucky that we have nancyl and cmsally to help us out with our problems and read thai signs for us smile.png

post-42592-0-92593500-1389755902_thumb.j

They had a soft opening last Sunday night ...with free beer...

Looking at the previous post by WInnietheKwai it seems soft is not what is looked for.

I now see the date of the picture by WInnie and see it is not this place.

Edited by harrry

It might be a good idea to open a new topic speculating the possible new venture going on.

After many years at the olde bell I doubt Pedr would want his final thread of best wishes being reduced to massage and prostitution.

He will no doubt still be reading and feeling some pain about that place.

• Like 1

It might be a good idea to open a new topic speculating the possible new venture going on.

After many years at the olde bell I doubt Pedr would want his final thread of best wishes being reduced to massage and prostitution.

Or bloody relief at being out of it.

I hear the Olde Bell, building and all, has been bought by a Scot who has spent hundreds of thousands of baht completely gutting it, installing a new kitchen and bar. Upstairs accommodation is also to be refurbished. I have not heard an opening date.

That's interesting, because I believe it was a Scot who supposedly was going to buy it from Pedr but walked away because of the rent or key money.

Perhaps a little private negotiation took place?

I agree, the last day of TOB has long gone and it can't feel good seeing the name of your ex business cropping up, with completely different topics being talked about.

It would be a good idea IMO to close this thread and put The Olde Bell to rest.

Someone can start a new thread about whatever is happening on that spot.

• Like 1

That's interesting, because I believe it was a Scot who supposedly was going to buy it from Pedr but walked away because of the rent or key money.

In all fairness though, if you're taking over a place and have no interest in the current business name, fittings and furniture and plan to completely remodel the place, change the business, add guest rooms upstairs and so on then it's hard to see what exactly you'd be buying when taking over a place.

In all fairness though, if you're taking over a place and have no interest in the current business name, fittings and furniture and plan to completely remodel the place, change the business, add guest rooms upstairs and so on then it's hard to see what exactly you'd be buying when taking over a place.

If being the operative word.

If being the operative word.

From what Saan is saying that does seem to be the case. There aren't many businesses in Chieng Mai that would justify paying for goodwill or the quality of the fittings. Always best to start from scratch I'd say.

If you compared how much an owner would get if he tried to sell seconhand tables, chairs air-cons etc to what he wants to sell it for as part of a going concern there'd be quite a difference I'm sure. If you're changing the name, theme or decor you wouldn't want to pay for goodwill either.