Low disk space on DATA D

samtam

My Windows 7's Data D file is full and it keeps asking me to clear it. I have removed all that I think I can, but it seems not to make a jot of difference. Can someone help with suggestions. The biggest users of space a VHD files, but I don't know what they are or whether I can delete them.

Sounds like your Win7 program is automatically creating a backup image every week or so? Maybe someone using 'doze can post simple instructions to turn the program off. AA

Thanks guys. Yes, I think aarn maybe right. Any suggestions?

If it is only an automatic back up then click on the windows icon, go to Control panel, click on Backup and Restore and then click on Turn off schedule in the top left hand of the page. Check the other settings and set as you want.

Well, I went my HP support office and asked them to fix. They said they needed to re-install Windows as the Back up file should normally go into DATA D file, but it had been "lost". Anyway, they have now cleared the DATA D file, but informed me that because I didn't want to re-install Windows, I now have no Back up and Restore. The reason for not wanting to reinstall is that I would lose all the programmes that came when I bought the laptop 13 months ago etc etc.. They said I shouldn't have been backing up to DATA D, except, I haven't consciously, but it was presumably how the computer was set up. All a rather large pain in the posterior, as I have limited knowledge in these matters...obviously!

Sounds like you are confusing "Backup" with "Recovery partition".

Most laptops come with a hard drive that has a certain portion "roped off" with a complete reinstallation of Windows on it, so in a worst case scenario you can boot up and restore the machine to factory condition.

If they are saying this partition has been overwritten, and someone set up Windows Backup to create a backup on it, then they're right (although I wasn't aware Windows Backup created VHD files).

Have you had this machine since new or has someone else been at it?

Most laptops come with a hard drive that has a certain portion "roped off" with a complete reinstallation of Windows on it, so in a worst case scenario you can boot up and restore the machine to factory condition.

If they are saying this partition has been overwritten, and someone set up Windows Backup to create a backup on it, then they're right (although I wasn't aware Windows Backup created VHD files).

yes, windows backup (changed from ntbackup) creates vhd files, and a bunch of other support files, which can be mounted on a Hyper-V (or converted to a different virtualization server) to extract files from the full backup. WBS does create a lot of data and deleting them isn't straight forward. MS needs to make a better interface.

Only me since new 13 months ago.