International School in Luang Prabang, Laos

simon43

Although my home and businesses are in north Phuket, I've been spending my time away for the past few years, working either as a teacher or school administrator. In May, I returned from such a role in Yangon and now I find myself working as the Headmaster of the new, international school in the UNESCO-protected town of Luang Prabang, northern Laos.

This town is a very scenic and idyllic place! I first visited Luang Prabang some 30 years ago, and not much has changed, apart from the large number of guesthouses and hotels. Live still seems to involve chilling out by the river, chatting with locals, and cycling or motorbiking around the nearby villages.

This new school is an interesting place. They are opening a new campus in a few months, so with building work well underway, my experience of building my own hotels/guesthouses is proving useful when it comes to checking on cabling etc in the new buildings. My Headmaster role is probably a little different from the typical responsibilities of a school head - I need to manage the build project, write software to improve the school administration system, market the school on-line to both Lao and foreign families etc.

So far, after a few weeks in Laos, I'm very happy with both my new job and new location :)

Simon