How hard is it for a Thai to get a Paypal account to sell with a SCB debit card ?

Hi

I would like my friend to get a Paypal account and then hopefully get a selling eBay account ,

She has a SCB debit card , but no work history ,

or is it better to have her Mother who has a job at Tesco (low paying) apply for the Paypal account ?

Once they have the Paypal account then they can try and get an Ebay account and try to sell some of the crafts they make.

Thanks for your advise

Anybody can have a Paypal account, no conditions required.

Never linked Paypal to SCB but easily done with Kasikorn.

Tell them that Paypal will freeze or close their at account at the first mistake and it will be impossible to open a new one with the same name, so they shouldn't sell fake, cheap customers or even do something wrong without knowing (Paypal are suxxers but we have no choice until the conspiracy stops and someone else is allowed by US government to open a competitor...)

Thanks for your reply ,

I know about Paypals evil ways , I have an account in the USA

but they are really the only international game in town !

And I am sure they will empty out the account more than they should anyway !

I am just looking for tips and what to do or not do to get the account going , and to recieve payments , most items will be $20-$30 ,

I just do not want them to answer the application questions wrong and get blackballed before they even get going !

Its so much simpler to take 20 minutes to open a Kasikorn account and apply for their K-web shopping card, which is a virtual visa card. Then use the card details to validate the paypal account.

Also, Paypal won't wait till your friend does something wrong before limiting access to the account, they will do that as a matter of course if you are using the account to sell things, then you will get limited while they do secondary security screening. This involves sending them proof of address, usually utility bill, and also photo ID, and they will also want a copy of your merchandise bills of sale for what you are selling. So they must make sure they keep the receipts for the goods.

Once they have all this, they will unblock the account and you are safe till you expand and there is a spike in trading and the filters will once again put you back through the verification process. Its a real pain in the arse. To speed up these procedures have everything scanned and ready and as soon as it happens, you can upload the docs straight away, and then phone paypal in Singapore and tell them you have uploaded and how long till the account is unlocked, the person will send a communique to the verifications office and it will be done within a few hours.

Already been through this crap 3 times here. When I was in the UK, I had mine blocked with around $20,000 in it for about 2 weeks till I learned the procedures. I also lost thousands in lost trading.

Edited to add... They won't accept proof of address in Thai language, it must be in English... I found photoshop and some creative editing overcome this problem without any hassle.

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 2

I shudder when I imagine paypal personnel breeding with US border personnel...

Avoid paypal. Seriously.

I had much better experience with 2checkout.

Edited by manarak

did it with Bangkok Bank the other week, pretty easy really,all paypal need are the actual account details, they make 2 small deposits to the account and you just tell them what they were and your in, they do not check your finances at all. Make sure they apply for a business account with paypal and the rest is easy.Because I had a debit card they needed to issue me with an id number and a new pin to be able to use it online with the account as well but it only took a few days.

Edited by seajae

did it with Bangkok Bank the other week, pretty easy really,all paypal need are the actual account details, they make 2 small deposits to the account and you just tell them what they were and your in, they do not check your finances at all. Make sure they apply for a business account with paypal and the rest is easy.Because I had a debit card they needed to issue me with an id number and a new pin to be able to use it online with the account as well but it only took a few days.

thanks for that info but were you planning on selling with that account too ?

I see that as the problem , if you just put your money into Paypal and then spend it everything is propably fine, its when you want others to put money in your Paypal account that it gets tricky,

so is the trick to apply for a business account first ?

and is Ebay and Paypal connected as far as sharing this data ?

I know that Paypal is owned by Ebay , so I assume whatever you tell one of them the other knows ,

I just do not want to have her make a mistake, which will delay getting the account.

I know Ebay restricts the number of items you can sell when you first start , so it will be a slow start-up anyway ,

But there are some other websites / forums for her to post her crafts on , and I would hate for her to have sales but not be able to accept payment , it looks bad to the buyers who may never order again.

Not sure on a business account, but on a Premier Paypal, for the first several sales they will block incoming funds for 21 days.

So it will take a while to get money incoming.

This restriction only gets lifted after a certain amount of succesful sales.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am looking at the Paypal "Business" sign up , I put in sole trader and category as arts , crafts, and collectables, and business name as the ebay sellers name,

it asks for "date of registration" for the business , but there really is no "business" it will just be ebay sales, so what do I put in ?

and I am not on the 2nd page yet so I do not know what it will ask for there !

any other advise ?

do you also sign up for a Ebay business account or regular ?

your friend will need a Credit card to register with e-bay.

First I ever hear of that.

I have an ebay account on which I have sold a fair few items.

Ebay never saw a credit card from me, only a verified paypal account, and I got that one just fine with a Thai debit card.

Tried to sign up for the Ebay account tonight with the SCB debit card and it would not go thru,

Plus ebays sign - up page will not let you use an email the same as your account name , so now I have to get another gmail account ,

Ebay has never made it easy !

Since it is the same company I am thinking Paypal may also be a problem,

a little update , went with the K bank card , and Paypal accepted it at first ,

then signed up for an ebay selling account,everything seemed OK,

tried to post one item , got thru it OK, then it sent us to Paypal as who would pay the fees , Paypal said the Debit card was not accepted ,

All this in 30 minutes or less !

tried to post one item , got thru it OK, then it sent us to Paypal as who would pay the fees , Paypal said the Debit card was not accepted ,

Which card did you use?

The physical ATM card or the virtual card (K-web shopping card) you need to register through online k-banking?

If the physical card, did you activate it for on-line usage? Out of the box they will block any actual charge done on-line, until you activate this feature. You can do this at an ATM.

When you say Paypal initially accepted the card, did they put the 75 Baht verification charge on it?

• Like 1

Open Kasikorn bank, use the virtual creditcard to open a Paypal account.

When the first money comes in and we put a part of it on the bank account Paypal blocked the account. On the phone they told because we took the money off it.

They need many documents and blabla on the phone to unblock it.

Which card did you use?

The physical ATM card or the virtual card (K-web shopping card) you need to register through online k-banking?

If the physical card, did you activate it for on-line usage? Out of the box they will block any actual charge done on-line, until you activate this feature. You can do this at an ATM.

When you say Paypal initially accepted the card, did they put the 75 Baht verification charge on it?

used the actual ATM card and numbers , but it was activated for on-line use.

I did not check if the 75 baht verification charge was put on it , I will check

I did ask my friend in the USA to sent $2 from his USA based account to see if that worked.

here is the email sent by Paypal

Get payments instantly in your PayPal account

Dear ------------,

Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Payments you receive from your buyers – anywhere in the world – can be instantly available in your PayPal account, once you're an established seller with PayPal.

To qualify as an established seller, here are 3 things you'll need to do:
  • Complete 5 successful transactions.
  • Receive a minimum of 100.00 USD in payments for goods or services, and
  • Be a seller, with PayPal, for at least 60 days.
Until then, payments you receive will be placed in your PayPal account's pending balance for up to 21 days from the transaction date, before they're available for you to withdraw or use to make payments. This practice is part of PayPal's security measure to ensure safer online transactions.

We'll help you keep track of your success in completing the 3 requirements and qualifying for instant availability to funds. To get an easy overview of your progress, go to the "Funds availability" section in the Resolution Centre

Tips for building your seller reputation

To further build trust in your buyers, we recommend that you process or send your order quickly. If you're sending an order, be sure to use a service that provides a tracking number. You can then let your buyers know via the "Transaction Details" page in your PayPal account, so they can keep track of their purchase.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

here is the email sent by Paypal

Get payments instantly in your PayPal account

Dear ------------,

Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Payments you receive from your buyers – anywhere in the world – can be instantly available in your PayPal account, once you're an established seller with PayPal.

To qualify as an established seller, here are 3 things you'll need to do:

• Complete 5 successful transactions.
  • Receive a minimum of 100.00 USD in payments for goods or services, and
  • Be a seller, with PayPal, for at least 60 days.
Until then, payments you receive will be placed in your PayPal account's pending balance for up to 21 days from the transaction date, before they're available for you to withdraw or use to make payments. This practice is part of PayPal's security measure to ensure safer online transactions.

We'll help you keep track of your success in completing the 3 requirements and qualifying for instant availability to funds. To get an easy overview of your progress, go to the "Funds availability" section in the Resolution Centre

Tips for building your seller reputation

To further build trust in your buyers, we recommend that you process or send your order quickly. If you're sending an order, be sure to use a service that provides a tracking number. You can then let your buyers know via the "Transaction Details" page in your PayPal account, so they can keep track of their purchase.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Exactly what I said in post number 10 in this thread. They will block your first incoming payments for 21 days, until you have met the requirements they mention in their e-mail. From then on, if there are no issues with buyers complaining, you will be able to use incoming funds immediately.

i tried to get my girlfriend an account with ebay but it would not accept her k band debit card ,they wanted a credit card.

OK , well we got the Paypal thing figured out and she was accepted :)

First thing was she had the K bank card but had to apply for the K-web shopping card , but you also need some money in the account DUHHH,

So she put some money in the account so that Paypal could take 75 baht to prove it was a real account , then they send you another code number to input on your account page......and give you back the 75 baht ,

So that was done and the account was activated , I am sure there is going to be more problems once money starts coming into the account but we will deal with that later,

Not sure about the Ebay account yet , we got stuck when ebay wanted a credit / debit card or a Paypal account so they had somewhere to get the Ebay fees :)

We will try that later today,

Not easy , but doable .......

post any bumps in the road so that the rest of us will be ready for them ......5555

i tried to get my girlfriend an account with ebay but it would not accept her k band debit card ,they wanted a credit card.

OK , well we got the Paypal thing figured out and she was accepted  :)

First thing was she had the K bank card but had to apply for the K-web shopping card , but you also need some money in the account  DUHHH,

So she put some money in the account so that Paypal could take 75 baht to prove it was a real account , then they send you another code number to input on your account page......and give you back the 75 baht , 

So that was done and the account was activated ,  I am sure there is going to be more problems once money starts coming into the account but we will deal with that later, 

Not sure about the Ebay account yet , we got stuck when ebay wanted a credit / debit card or a Paypal account so they had somewhere to get the Ebay fees :)

We will try that later today, 

Not easy , but doable .......

post any bumps in the road so that the rest of us will be ready for them ......5555

Ebay will walk ypu through an "automatic" debet setup for you paypal, need to click a few accepts and you're good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update , It seems to be working , she is limited on Ebay to 10 items the first month , $500 total , you can re-list the items if they do not sell as long as there are no more than 10 , when you sell something you take one item off , She is still in the first month.

Paypal holds your funds 21 or so days , she has already got some of the funds released,

She has put some items on other sites and sold there too ,

If you are planning on doing this START NOW , hopefully in a few months the limit will be raised to 50-100 items which is more than enough smile.png

I had an old Ebay account I started 10 years ago for buying only and barely used , did not buy anything on it for 8 years !

But I went in and set it up as a new selling account , at first I had a 50 item limit / $5000 which was raised in 2 weeks to 150 item / $15,000 a month, this was a USA account

you get 50 free listings a month,

just remember its 10% selling commision and 3-4% paypal fee on the item plus the shipping cost combined ,

good luck

Edited by BKKdreaming

Ebay are big cheaters... make you own website and sell what you want how you want !

I wish that I could do a website that got as much traffic like ebay.....

Yeah you have to figure 15% since they charge you full commision for shipping and so does Paypal....

but 85% is better than ZERO percent if you do not sell the item.......

Hopefully you found an item that you are selling for 3-4 times what you paid for it , so you still have good profit ,

It works , if you only need to make 10k-20k baht profit a month , if you need to make $1000-$2000 a month to live in the west its very hard to get there ,

I have heard of Esty but do not know anyone selling there , plus Paypal is what Westerners are comfortable paying with and I do not think Esty takes Paypal.

Tried to sign up for the Ebay account tonight with the SCB debit card and it would not go thru,

Plus ebays sign - up page will not let you use an email the same as your account name , so now I have to get another gmail account

I've never been able to link my SCB debit card, I think because of Thai script in the name (and SCB wouldn't give me it in westernised form)

In terms of the email though, if you use gmail there is a hidden feature that means you can have multiple accounts with the same email address. If your email address is dave@gmail, you can also use dave+ebay1@, dave+ebay2@, dave+ebay3@ with gmail, all of these will come to your inbox, and you can set up filters to label them if you want. Basically realemail+anythingyouwant@ works

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update, Paypal is releasing funds after 3 weeks , one sale at a time !

so she gets 2-3 emails a day

When will Paypal decide that its a legit account and release funds after a day or 2 ?

most of the sales have NOT been on ebay , the ebay account has a limit of 10 listings / sales a month, and there are too many people selling the same items :(

once the ebay account is clear we can put on our own designs , which hopefully will sell 10 items every few days !

more updates when something changes !