Motorcycle trailer

Prices for all these kind of things in Thailand are based on the buying power of the buyer and that is based on the the fact that people here, ex-pat and Thai spend completely outrageous sums for a particular make of of motorcycle that come from the states.

That's to say a piece of two wheeled crap based on a 50 year old design.

Think I've said enough.

I spent an outrageous sum on a motorcycle that came from Japan- it's cutting-edge and offers a full electronics package- if I'm going to trailer it anywhere, I want to do it on the best equipment possible.;)

Kendon sells a similar trailer in the States for a similar price- would you really expect it to cost less in LOS?

Edited by RubberSideDown

I see plenty cheaper salaries, insurane, social security, taxes, permits, utilities. Honestly not here or there and no question upbeat makes a nice trailer. A trailer is just that two wheels carrying some steel and less then 1000lbs its nothing. If i was hauling 80,000lbs pulling 40' doubles i would buy differently..

Most of that has nothing to do with the cost of the trailer (insurance and permits are separate).

A bike is just two wheels carrying a rider...;)

I'm interested to hear your results- if you're just going to be doing short trips to the track you'll be fine- I'm going to be doing some really long hauls- that's a factor as well.

The one I built had full sized auto tires off I forget what car/truck

Here's the tire from the Upbeat trailer- it's a Maxxis car tire- 15"' I believe- at least they're safe up to highway speeds:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hard to see but that pic looks like a 13" to me.

Kendon uses a 13" maybe they are learning from the chinese lol (not even a radial guess theyre cutting corners)

Edited by yankee99

Prices for all these kind of things in Thailand are based on the buying power of the buyer and that is based on the the fact that people here, ex-pat and Thai spend completely outrageous sums for a particular make of of motorcycle that come from the states.

Think I've said enough.

I spent an outrageous sum on a motorcycle that came from Japan- it's cutting-edge and offers a full electronics package- if I'm going to trailer it anywhere, I want to do it on the best equipment possible.;)

Kendon sells a similar trailer in the States for a similar price- would you really expect it to cost less in LOS?

No but we are not comparing a Kendon are we?

Think I've said enough.

No but we are not comparing a Kendon are we?
It's basically the same trailer made of the same materials, so except for the brand name we are. Edited by RubberSideDown

The one I built had full sized auto tires off I forget what car/truck

Here's the tire from the Upbeat trailer- it's a Maxxis car tire- 15"' I believe- at least they're safe up to highway speeds:attachicon.gifimage.jpg
Hard to see but that pic looks like a 13" to me.

Kendon uses a 13" maybe they are learning from the chinese lol (not even a radial guess theyre cutting corners)

Can you even get a 13" car tire?

I agree with most of your points, but not with your reasoning- if they were making a huge profit, they could lower the price a bit and own the market, or a competitor would offer a similar, less-expensive version- Upbeat is the only one that makes this style, though- stainless-steel of the strength to build a trailer from is pricey.

Here's the full pic for a better comparison for tire scale- maybe they are 13":

post-176811-0-68221500-1373087945_thumb.

I just think you're buying yourself a headache with the trailer in the OP- you'll need to spend closer to 50K to get something you're satisfied with and will be able to plate (and the registration is important- from what I've been reading trailers get a lot of unwanted scrutiny)- I base this on having looked into the manufacturers here.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Here's one for 56K- non-folding and galvanized, but not bad- it's for dirt bikes, but they probably make a bigger version (I believe it's also made by Upbeat):

http://www.speedshopthailand.com/dirt-bike-trailer/

I don't know the price of this one- I tried calling a couple times, but they never answered the phone- I would guess 50K:

http://www.carrymoretrailers.com/images/catalogue-750-atv-bike-rev2.jpg

Edited by RubberSideDown

Here's one for 56K- non-folding and galvanized, but not bad- it's for dirt bikes, but they probably make a bigger version (I believe it's also made by Upbeat):

http://www.speedshopthailand.com/dirt-bike-trailer/

I don't know the price of this one- I tried called a couple times, but they never answered the phone- I would guess 50K:

http://www.carrymoretrailers.com/images/catalogue-750-atv-bike-rev2.jpg

That 2nd one is pretty clean looking build & appears to have fuel-can storage on the side behind the wheel.

Here's one for 56K- non-folding and galvanized, but not bad- it's for dirt bikes, but they probably make a bigger version (I believe it's also made by Upbeat):http://www.speedshopthailand.com/dirt-bike-trailer/I don't know the price of this one- I tried called a couple times, but they never answered the phone- I would guess 50K:http://www.carrymoretrailers.com/images/catalogue-750-atv-bike-rev2.jpg

That 2nd one is pretty clean looking build & appears to have fuel-can storage on the side behind the wheel.

When I look at that I wonder where I'm gonna store it- I've got a bit of room, but that will take up an entire parking spot.

When I look at that I wonder where I'm gonna store it- I've got a bit of room, but that will take up an entire parking spot.

Try living in a condo smile.png

When I see you guys with garages & driveways I am

jealous smile.png

Make the draw bar with a hinge and have a clevis pin or bent arm pin to hold it rigid when in use. That can knock a metre off.

Or design it so you can stand it up on it's end. Have some wheels on the end so you can move it around.

Yeah they had an article in Thailand Superbike about Beat a few issues back.

I did not know the owner was not a Thai

Are their prices good?

When I was in high school I built a 3 bike trailer in metal shop with a front axle I got

from auto shop. If all else fails I bet you could draw one & have it built here as you said.

No idea how hard to register though. US was surprisingly easy back then when i made one. smile.png

I would build it myself if i could get the axles. Upbeat supposedly makes a good trailer but i think around 100000 baht and call me stubborn but thats rediculous! I dont care we are in thailand smile.png

Think I've said enough.

So, would it be better to waste 1.5 million baht on a Honda Gold Wing which is based on a 30 year old design?

To be honest if I was spending 1.5 mil it wouldn't be on a bike, maybe a few years ago, but not at my advanced state. smile.png

The bikes people buy are the bikes they want. If they want to spend 2 mil on a bike and trailer it's their choice, it's just not mine.

The only Goldie I would be interested in would be an original bare bones goldie or on the HD side probably one from the 50's/60's to ride for an hour or two at the weekend with her indoors in the pick-up with the trailer to get my weary old bones home in comfort.

• Like 1

"To be honest if I was spending 1.5 mil it wouldn't be on a bike, maybe a few years ago, but not at my advanced state."

Well after hearing that I am not sure what to make of it. If your over 90 I certainly would be happy to cut you some slack.

But if your under 90, all I can say is "Toughen the <deleted>#k up!" biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update

I ended up buying a kit trailer from harbor freight. Still have to add the deck and lights but its hot out now. Also not sure how complicated it is to get a book?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am also considering buying something to carry bikes.

But thinking to buy a toyota van possibly old model. Easiest way for me.

Where did you get the kit?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I got it from this company. http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html. with a 25% off coupon so $225.00.... Had it sent in a sea container...

great price yankee.

they sell these for 30 - 40 k in Thailand.

I am thinking something like that: http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1306634

There are better examples and you can get a good one for 225 k - 250 k.

Remove the seats and you can carry two bikes easily also you have a lounge with ac if needed for a track day etc.! also sometime family and friends comes here so can carry them all as well.

just thinking though.

^^^ That will work nicely if you have the $$ and the parking space.....ill bet you can customize it cheaply here.

Also no hassle yankee. Bikes will be closed and locked. Out of the looks.

Easy to load bikes as well as these vans are low not like a truck. Besides no problems with the police for the trailer.

Of course the best is it is easier to drive it around than a car with a trailer. Lets see.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you have to speak with Joe 081 645 2201 from Upbeat

I bring my Trailer with Container and had a lot of Trouble and it use 3 years to get this licens plate

I went to the DLT and they weren't very helpful in helping with a license plate today....think i will just go without a plate....