Aus Visa Advice - Tourist or Partner Visa (with newborn child)?

A quick question about the dependant child aspect of a Partner migration visa. (It would seem like a ridiculous question, but I can't count on common sense applying when it comes to the Australian Government & $$$).

I've had a quick look at the various Visa forms that need to be filled out for my partner to come to Australia. Before this visa application is lodged, I will arrange for our newborn baby to receive citizenship by descent & an Australian passport.

When I looked at the visa forms, it asks for details of any dependant children of the applicant, and whether those children will be migrating to Australia with the applicant. However, on the main visa application form, it does not ask whether the child is an Australian citizen or not.

My question is this - Will the Australian government ignore the citizenship of the baby & incur an "additional applicant charge under 18"?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I have to wonder...

In a short answer no.

The application is for those requiring a visa.

As your child will be an Australian citizen, he/she will not require

a visa so will not be migrating.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

QUICK UPDATE...

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I'm now in Thailand & about to depart for Australia. Ended up going down the following path -

* Tourist Visa for wife (was arranged prior to birth of child) for this upcoming trip. Will apply for Partner Visa in a few months time.

* Child received her Citizenship by Descent in Bangkok (Seemed rather simple process, took about 1 week to process)

* Used to Citizenship certificate to receive an Emergency Passport (Standard passport takes approximately 10 days I was told, & I wanted to be safe as I didn't have 10 business days to wait from time of application). The emergency passport is current for 7 months & took 2 days to process.

* Child also has a Thai passport (took 2 days to process as well)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I`m in the same boat... Baby was born Oct 4 in Thailand to Thai mother and Australian father . that`s me . I tried to apply for Citizenship by descent for Baby got the Doctor to sign the Identity declaration and photographs of baby..but as I had to fly back home due to bushfire situation I left everything in Thailand for gf to sort out in Bangkok. I have just learned the baby will also need a Thai passport to leave Thailand??? So I`m thinking might as well sort that out same day gf does citizenship for bub and is in Bangkok anyway.. Just confirm for me please we need Thai passport for baby yes? Actually as I write this post it seems logical baby will need Thai passport.

Edited by BudfahRuksa

I`m in the same boat... Baby was born Oct 4 in Thailand to Thai mother and Australian father . that`s me . I tried to apply for Citizenship by descent for Baby got the Doctor to sign the Identity declaration and photographs of baby..but as I had to fly back home due to bushfire situation I left everything in Thailand for gf to sort out in Bangkok. I have just learned the baby will also need a Thai passport to leave Thailand??? So I`m thinking might as well sort that out same day gf does citizenship for bub and is in Bangkok anyway.. Just confirm for me please we need Thai passport for baby yes? Actually as I write this post it seems logical baby will need Thai passport.

If your bubs wants to leave the country, they need a passport.

Simples.