CRF L VS D-tracker

eek

Well firstly ones a motard and the other a dirt bike. You really need it to be the KLX250 vs. CRF250L or the D-Tracker vs. Honda CRF250M.

EDIT: For no other reason that I like the way it rides, I prefer the Honda.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

You are right about the dtracker photo...but would like to know more why you all so far would choose the Honda over it.
What kind of riding do you prefer?
Which one handles the twisties better?
What about suspension?

For example..on the Pai road, which one do you think would offer a more enjoyable ride (in your opinion)?

A supermoto with bubblegum tires is a load of fun- I recently sold my XR250 factory SM and I already regret it- that said, it wasn't great in the dirt (though it wasn't terrible either)- it's all about the road surface on which you'll be spending the most time- once you figure that out, it's an easy choice.

I've thought about buying one of these bikes and from what I've read it's all swings and roundabouts. What one has the other might not and visa versa.

If I was to be more serious about buying one I would rent them and then decide. Although without having ridden either, I would expect the choice to come down to what colour and price of the bikes. Also resale might be better for the Honda because its a Honda....

I think there was a comparison thread on here and it seemed that those who had the Kawasaki said it was better and those that had the Honda said that was better. This leads me to think the differences are quie small and probably not that significant.

Looking at these 2 bikes though, the most obvious difference is the tires (which can be changed to suit the terrain), CRF probably has a tad better suspension and Kawa a little more power.

If I was making this choice I would go for more power as tires and suspension are easy to change to whatever you want it, harder to add more power to the engine.

Another thing is does the CRF have the ignition key or is it just a START button (like on my WR450 dirtbike)? If there's no ignition key, it will be easy to steal it so the D-Tracker has an advantage here???

Thanks for the replies so far.

As pointed out, tires can of course be changed, so not too concerned about that.

I have a little scooter for around town (which ive actually done most of the north of Thailand on...lol..and downhill twisties ive even beaten big bikes whilst on the fino..which is kinda funny really).

I had a terrible accident last year at a back road near Khun Yuam (whilst wearing a helmet..still broke my nose and hand ..scars..etc..pretty bad stuff, but anyway moving on!).
Since then ive rented dtrackers (road riding) and KLX (for dirt biking). I havent tried the CRF yet.

Like the drz400sm, but out of my budget, plus if i drop it, the parts would be hard to come by.

Most of my riding is twisties on regular (THAI..ie. potholes!) roads. Northern trips such as Phu Chi Fa, Mae Salong, Mae Hong Son, and short trips around Samoeng loop in CM etc.
Happy with my automatic scooter for town, but i need to set my sites on my own bigger bike..one with some damn suspension!
Rental bikes feel like a waste of money, plus often they are in poor condition.
So..weighing up the dtracker and CRF is what i see as my most suitable options, both in terms of budget and how i ride (i will also be looking for 2nd hand bikes, rather than new).
..unless anyone has any other suggestions of what to look at?

Edited by eek

Go out to the x-center and talk to Ian he rode his CRF to Burma on a 7 or 10 day trip a few months back. I think he can give you all the feed back you need or at least lots of info

Eek did you have on a full face helmet when you crashed, as I was sliding across the rode recently I got a bit freaked out when I saw the pavement so close but then relaxed when I realized the helmet was doing its job of protecting my face

Edited by moe666
  • Like 1

Go out to the x-center and talk to Ian he rode his CRF to Burma on a 7 or 10 day trip a few months back. I think he can give you all the feed back you need or at least lots of info

Eek did you have on a full face helmet when you crashed, as I was sliding across the rode recently I got a bit freaked out when I saw the pavement so close but then relaxed when I realized the helmet was doing its job of protecting my face

Thanks Moe. I will have a chat with Ian.

I was wearing a REAL brand half-face helmet. I was naive.

The helmet was ever so slightly large (i take an xs helmet and i couldnt find any here).

I had the visor down, but when i fell (i dont recall the actual accident as i sustained concussion), my helmet apparently slipped back and gravel and stones got into the helmet, basically tearing up parts of my face (which were ripped and hanging away). I have been EXTREMELY lucky, not just injury wise, but the fact that my face shows very little damage considering. I still need to have my nose straightened, but i want to find the right person, at the right time, because i just dont want to put myself through any more surgery.

Of course, Khun Yuam hospital xrayed me and found ZERO breakages. Wasnt until i got to Chiang Mai that my torn finger ligaments, smashed up right side of hand, and smushed up deviated septum and broken nose were discovered..mainly because i KNEW there was something wrong, and felt i couldnt trust the results of that xray.

I now have an imported Shoei helmet (full face) and a Nolan motocross helmet.

I learned...the hard way.. but at least the helmet did its job in keeping my skull protected. Im alive.

The REAL brand helmet after the accident:

426916_390271034334810_1501249688_n.jpg

Thanks Moe. I will have a chat with Ian.

I was wearing a REAL brand half-face helmet. I was naive.

The helmet was ever so slightly large (i take an xs helmet and i couldnt find any here).

I had the visor down, but when i fell (i dont recall the actual accident as i sustained concussion), my helmet apparently slipped back and gravel and stones got into the helmet, basically tearing up parts of my face (which were ripped and hanging away). I have been EXTREMELY lucky, not just injury wise, but the fact that my face shows very little damage considering. I still need to have my nose straightened, but i want to find the right person, at the right time, because i just dont want to put myself through any more surgery.

Of course, Khun Yuam hospital xrayed me and found ZERO breakages. Wasnt until i got to Chiang Mai that my torn finger ligaments, smashed up right side of hand, and smushed up deviated septum and broken nose were discovered..mainly because i KNEW there was something wrong, and felt i couldnt trust the results of that xray.

I now have an imported Shoei helmet (full face) and a Nolan motocross helmet.

I learned...the hard way.. but at least the helmet did its job in keeping my skull protected. Im alive.

The REAL brand helmet after the accident:

Posted Image

post-118612-13732865638618_thumb.jpg

post-118612-13732865818197_thumb.jpg

Yes if your gonna do it please do it with safety in mind,above my Motor cross helmet and Oakley goggles,saved me once already two weeks ago,happy trails.

Looking at these 2 bikes though, the most obvious difference is the tires (which can be changed to suit the terrain), CRF probably has a tad better suspension and Kawa a little more power.

If I was making this choice I would go for more power as tires and suspension are easy to change to whatever you want it, harder to add more power to the engine.

Another thing is does the CRF have the ignition key or is it just a START button (like on my WR450 dirtbike)? If there's no ignition key, it will be easy to steal it so the D-Tracker has an advantage here???

IF the D-Tracker has the same engine as the KLX than it is same or slightly less power than the CRF.

Also, I think the pic shows a dtracker 150.

Actually, it says 125 on the side, does it not?

Yep, guess I need some glasses.

Is there a valid reason why the 250 version doesn't have the ninja/z 250 engine? More power and more fun, no?

Ive ridden the CRF250L to Mae Sai and it was good power wise and fun on the twisties. Havent done the same on a KLX/DTracker yet. Besides what has already been said (Which I agree with), the most advice Id give is to get the seat modified.

Off road it is probably fine but anything over an hour long on normal tarmac and your butt is going to let you know about it. Ive seen quite a few expats that have modified the seat, made it a bit wider with softer foam added. They say it makes the riding a lot more enjoyable long distance.

The only other advise Ive been given is that the Honda has a smoother power application whereas the Kawasaki is better off road (In the KLX guise).

I intend to buy a Honda within the next year, mainly because most of my riding will be on road and better resale value, coupled with more after market accessories.

Whatever way you decide to go....happy trails!

Is there a valid reason why the 250 version doesn't have the ninja/z 250 engine? More power and more fun, no?

More weight, increased complexity, higher demand on cooling system (yet more weight), wider engine, less suitable characteristics for off road riding, etc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've thought about buying one of these bikes and from what I've read it's all swings and roundabouts. What one has the other might not and visa versa.

If I was to be more serious about buying one I would rent them and then decide. Although without having ridden either, I would expect the choice to come down to what colour and price of the bikes. Also resale might be better for the Honda because its a Honda....

I think there was a comparison thread on here and it seemed that those who had the Kawasaki said it was better and those that had the Honda said that was better. This leads me to think the differences are quie small and probably not that significant.

People will always support their own bike that is for sure.

More weight, increased complexity, higher demand on cooling system (yet more weight), wider engine, less suitable characteristics for off road riding, etc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good to see your still posting and are full of knowledge.