Full proof, guaranteed way to make Thai friends overnight.

up2you2

Learning the language is the least of your problems.

If you really want to break through and be truly accepted into your local community, learn and adopt these skills and knowledge, and as the saying goes you'll never walk alone:

post-28278-0-79174900-1373262132_thumb.j post-28278-0-20646300-1373262158_thumb.j post-28278-0-98688100-1373262179_thumb.j post-28278-0-48772400-1373262192_thumb.j

If you really want to break through and be truly accepted into your local community

what makes you think that others "want a breakthrough and be truly accepted"? and what skills can i adopt concerning a football club located on a far away remote island? whistling.gif

Bob ... what does that stuff actually taste like ... I've never and while I like to try new things ... it's way down there with fried scorpions.

It's horrible, I only smelled it once and that was enough. Smells like a cheap tequila and I think it's only 25% strong???

Bob ... what does that stuff actually taste like ... I've never and while I like to try new things ... it's way down there with fried scorpions.

I have tried it, I think furniture polish comes to mind although I haven't tasted that. When I first came to Thailand eons ago my local shopkeeper mixed it with a chinese powder called 11 Tigers. It came out red and you could buy a spoonful for 1 baht. Very strong and ok for a couple but a glassful would leave you senseless. Edited by Bluetongue
  • Like 1

If you really want to break through and be truly accepted into your local community

what makes you think that others "want a breakthrough and be truly accepted"? and what skills can i adopt concerning a football club located on a far away remote island? whistling.gif

Yes Nam you are right again, I think there are very few Farangs who do wish to break through and be truly accepted in their local communities.

But for those that do, which I take it you are not one of them, I wonder what other alternatives you could suggest.

Not so much adopting a skill regarding Manchester United, rather a knowledge base, of the teams history and also the current details of the team.

In the event you were marooned on a desert island with a Thai male, or perhaps just living up country devoid of Farangs, I feel that this would serve you in good stead.

The replies to date for some reason are predominantly suggesting financial inducements, and also alcohol.

I have tried it, I think furniture polish comes to mind although I haven't tasted that. When I first came to Thailand eons ago my local shopkeeper mixed it with a chinese powder called 11 Tigers. It came out red and you could buy a spoonful for 1 baht. Very strong and ok for a couple but a glassful would leave you senseless.
Actually just found a website promoting it, now thinking of getting some. Here is a picture and apparently its a Thai herbal product with all sorts of priapic potential. No wonder at the time I was laying plenty of pipe.

post-87221-0-24710100-1373339250_thumb.j

In the event you were marooned on a desert island with a Thai male ... As long as we've now entered the realm of the hypothetical, I would much prefer to conjecture regarding "Thai friends" being marooned on a desert island with one or more "highly stimulating" Thai females as per the end of the movie Dr. Strangelove.

Edited by JLCrab

Because there will always be an England. In case you didn't get it, the Thais love their English footie teams.

Would you like me to give you a link to Dame Vera Lynn to help you out?

Its a Thai brandy. It is very rough on the throat, it tastes like brandy to me but a very poor quality brandy. I mixed it with milk in the end to see how it was as a brandy Alexander. Its was quite palatable (only then).

Yes Nam you are right again, I think there are very few Farangs who do wish to break through and be truly accepted in their local communities.

But for those that do, which I take it you are not one of them, I wonder what other alternatives you could suggest.

Not so much adopting a skill regarding Manchester United, rather a knowledge base, of the teams history and also the current details of the team.

In the event you were marooned on a desert island with a Thai male, or perhaps just living up country devoid of Farangs, I feel that this would serve you in good stead.

The replies to date for some reason are predominantly suggesting financial inducements, and also alcohol.

so you think a Thai male and me on a deserted island could devote our time discussing Manchester United and me learning Thai? wink.png

p.s. i'd rather think of the possibility being marooned with an attractive Thai lady laugh.png

Because there will always be an England. In case you didn't get it, the Thais love their English footie teams.

i couldn't care less what kind of English football teams Thais like and neither do i need help from a Dame Vera Lynn.

i couldn't care less what kind of English football teams Thais like and neither do i need help from a Dame Vera Lynn.

By your responses on this thread to date, and I could be completely wrong here, but I am beginning to wonder if you do have any male Thai friends.

If you do, what do you find you have in common with them?

If you don't, do you regret living in another part of the world without having made any friends with the locals.

In fact on reflection looking back, do you think that this is a prerequiste for Farangs trying to settle in Thailand, that they should not expect that they will in fact make some bona fide Thai friends.