REAL Thai food in London?

eek

Im flying to London for a couple of weeks to visit family.
Last time i visited, after only two days i was craving some Thai food.

My cousin kindly took me to a posh Thai restaurant affair..and the food was ..utterly tasteless.

The menu was weird and the flavours were bland.
I dont need (nor want) a posh "fusion" Thai swanky place..would love to know where, if any, REAL Thai restaurants are.
Preferably with Thai chef/staff..as the posh one had ZERO Thai!
..anyone have any gems they care to share?

Im seriously considering resorting to packing some mama noodles...lol....

Borough High St opposite the market....next to the post office.

Thai food from the back of a van...£5 a pop....usually only three dishes to choose from.

Decent food cooked and served by a Thai. Probably as close as you will get. Lunch only.

• Like 1

I've heard excellent things about this pls

http://theskinnybib.com/2011/04/17/the-heron-unpretentiously-thai/

also Adies is a winner. http://www.addiesthai.co.uk/

where most of the ULU Thai students go to eat.

been to both of these and can confirm they are the genuine article, always busy with Thais (students mainly i would guess) which has to be a good sign. Last time we were in London i went to the Heron with my wife we were the only non Thais in the place and it was packed. Maybe not as authentic but also good (IMO) is Thai Rice on Crawford St and also monkey and me same street further along (good noodles).

Avoid the Thai square chain, bland rubbish.

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

Jim Thompson, on King's Road; and the Thai restaurant at the back of the Churchill's Arms, in Kensington, were my favorites in the 90's

I've heard that both of them are still open...

Just wondering what they worth nowadays ?!?

" Thai food in Britain has become so homogenised that it often seems a south-east Asian McDonald's, the same ersatz dishes tasting identical wherever you order them. This place, however, is so authentic and popular with compatriots that it prints the prices in Thai currency as well as in sterling. The specific cuisine is from the north-east (Esarn, or Issan, being a province), where they like their food devilishly hot."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/17/esarn-kheaw-restaurant-review

The above review is by Matthew Norman and I 100% agree. Hardly surprising when so many of them all use the same ready made sauces and pastes

I'm an Esarn Kheaw fan. There is another more mainstream Thai place, The Little Thai in Fleet Road Hampstead, newly opened that I found quite impressive. Waiting staff not all Thai, (Visa restrictions starting to hit hard apparently) but the kitchen staff certainly are and know what their doing.

Edited by roamer

Thai square restaurant chain. Very good and will cook the food how you like it.

I live just outside London and visit once a month with wife and family.

She says what she wants and they serve it, no complaint from her which makes a change!!!