Overeating? Try Fasting

nokia

Religious Significance of Fasting

Many people in the world face untimely death owing to over-eating.

In Buddhism, fasting is recognized as one of the methods for practising self-control. The Buddha advised monks not to take solid food after noon. Lay people who observe the eight Precepts on full moon days also abstain from taking any solid food after noon.

Critics sometimes regard these practices as religious fads. They are not religious fads but practices based on a moral and psychological insight.

In Buddhism, fasting is an initial stage of self-discipline to acquire self-control. In every religion, there is a system of fasting. By fasting and sacrificing a meal once a day or for any period, we can contribute our food to those who are starving or who do not have even a proper meal each day.

'A man who eats too much', writes Leo Tolstoy, 'cannot strive against laziness, while a gluttonous and idle man will never be able to contend with sexual lust. Therefore, according to all moral teachings, the effort towards self-control commences with a struggle against the lust of gluttony?commences with fasting just as the first condition of a good life is self-control, so the first condition of a life of self-control is fasting.'

Sages in various countries who practised self-control began with a system of regulated fasting and succeeded in attaining unbelievable heights of spirituality. An ascetic was kicked and tortured, and then his hands and feet were severed on the orders of a rakish king. But the ascetic, according to the Buddhist story, endured the torture with equanimity and without the slightest anger or hatred. Such religious people have developed their mental power through restraining from sensual indulgence.

Fasting in the monastic community is considered an ascetic practice, a "dhutanga" practice. (Dhutanga means "to shake up" or "invigoration.") Dhutangas are a specific list of thirteen practices, four of which pertain to food: eating once a day, eating at one sitting, reducing the amount you eat, on alms-round, eating only the food that you receive at the first seven houses. These practices are adopted by individuals voluntarily, they are not required in the normal course of a Buddhist monastic's life of practice. The Buddha, as is well known, emphasized moderation, the Middle Way that avoids extremes, in all things. Fasting is an additional method that one can take up, with supervision, for a time.

The Buddha's spiritual awakening is directly related to fasting, but from the reverse. That is to say, only after the Buddha stopped fasting did he realize his mahabodhi, or great awakening. The founding story of the Buddhist faith relates how the Buddha was cultivating the Way in the Himalayas, having left his affluent life as a Prince of India. He sought teachers and investigated a variety of practices in his search for liberation from the suffering of old age, death and rebirth. In the course of his practices he realized that desire was the root of mortality. He determined, incorrectly, that if he stopped eating he could end desire and gain liberation from suffering. As the story goes, he ate only a grain of rice and a sesame seed per day. Over time he got so thin that he could touch his spine by pressing on his stomach. He no longer had the strength to meditate. He realized that he would die before he understood his mind; further, that desire does not end by force. At that point a young herds maid offered him a meal of milk porridge which he accepted. He regained his strength, renewed his meditation, and realized Buddhahood. So by quitting fasting, and eating in moderation, he realized the central tenet of Buddhist practice, moderation.

I agree, there is no doubt that fasting helps you focus on Spiritual things. I have fasted for 3 periods of 7 days, eating nothing at all - just drinking water and a couple of coconut waters a day. You become much more 'centered' and able to focus, also, meditation takes on new meaning.

I agree, there is no doubt that fasting helps you focus on Spiritual things. I have fasted for 3 periods of 7 days, eating nothing at all - just drinking water and a couple of coconut waters a day. You become much more 'centered' and able to focus, also, meditation takes on new meaning.

Fasting definitely helps a person to focus more on spiritual things, than on worldly pleasures. Over-indulgence in worldly pleasures will lead to Mara.

Did you lose weight or get physically weak during your 7 day fasts? I assume most people here eat moderately, and do not binge.

Fasting definitely helps a person to focus more on spiritual things, than on worldly pleasures. Over-indulgence in worldly pleasures will lead to Mara.

Did you lose weight or get physically weak during your 7 day fasts? I assume most people here eat moderately, and do not binge.

Although I did drop about 7 pounds, it didn't stay off! My 3 fasts were all different. The first, I felt great, physically, mentally and spiritually. The second, I felt a bit down emotionally but not physically. The third, I just felt a bit bored with it and was glad to eat at the end of it. Never had any physical weakness. This must mean that we have more in reserve than we think.

Although I did drop about 7 pounds, it didn't stay off! My 3 fasts were all different. The first, I felt great, physically, mentally and spiritually. The second, I felt a bit down emotionally but not physically. The third, I just felt a bit bored with it and was glad to eat at the end of it. Never had any physical weakness. This must mean that we have more in reserve than we think.

Amazing! For many people, skipping a meal or two would be terrible enough, let alone 7 whole days. May i ask why did you choose to fast and what kept you going thru the 7 days? Some people begin with a long fast, but give up halfway when the hunger pangs overwhelmed them.

--

"the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"

Amazing! For many people, skipping a meal or two would be terrible enough, let alone 7 whole days. May i ask why did you choose to fast and what kept you going thru the 7 days? Some people begin with a long fast, but give up halfway when the hunger pangs overwhelmed them.

--

"the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"

It was in a health spa on Samui. Both my wife and I wanted to 'detox' and we had read a considerable amount about it. At first I didn't want to do it - being on holiday and all that - however, once I had made my mind up nothing would change my mind, ended up doing 3 in a row over a 2 year period. My wife is actually doing another when in Samui in 10 days time. I feel detoxed enough! (for now...)

After a day or two of not eating solids, one loses one's hunger and a fast is easy.

Juice fasting on fresh fruit and vegetable juices is the way to go. You detox slower than with water, so feel much better and you fill your body with nutrients while still resting your digestive system and getting all the benifits of a water fast without the illness that can accompany one. :o

It's good that more people understand the beneficial effects of eating less as the body ages, rather than eating more and pumping in more multi-vitamins into a over-clogged digestive system. Isnt moderation the better way?

---

7 Day Juice Fast

The 7 day juice fast was designed to support, detoxify, and strengthen the major organs of elimination in the body, including the liver, colon, kidneys, skin, and lungs.

Juice provides concentrated vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients in an easily absorbed form.

---

Low-Calorie Diet May Lead to Longer Life

Published: April 5, 2006

A low-calorie diet, even in people who are not obese, can lead to changes in metabolism and body chemistry that have been linked to better health and longer life, researchers are reporting.

The findings lend support to the theory that eating less, long known to prolong life in rats and mice, may do the same for people, by preventing heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other diseases, and by slowing aging.

It's good that more people understand the beneficial effects of eating less as the body ages, rather than eating more and pumping in more multi-vitamins into a over-clogged digestive system. Isnt moderation the better way?

---

7 Day Juice Fast

The 7 day juice fast was designed to support, detoxify, and strengthen the major organs of elimination in the body, including the liver, colon, kidneys, skin, and lungs.

Juice provides concentrated vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients in an easily absorbed form.

---

Low-Calorie Diet May Lead to Longer Life

Published: April 5, 2006

A low-calorie diet, even in people who are not obese, can lead to changes in metabolism and body chemistry that have been linked to better health and longer life, researchers are reporting.

The findings lend support to the theory that eating less, long known to prolong life in rats and mice, may do the same for people, by preventing heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other diseases, and by slowing aging.

May lead to a longer life? Surely that's common knowledge?

How did it affect you in the long run? I used to diet all the time for boxing but then when I didn't have to watch what I was eating, I'd stuff myself with rubbish food. Did you watch your food carefully afterwards or did you become a bit of a glutton?

How did it affect you in the long run? I used to diet all the time for boxing but then when I didn't have to watch what I was eating, I'd stuff myself with rubbish food. Did you watch your food carefully afterwards or did you become a bit of a glutton?

I do eat healthy food and the fasting made me more aware of how we can very easily fill ourselves with rubbish food.

If I have something that's not so healthy and I don't mean fast food or cr@p like that, I don't feel well, I won't sleep well and will usually end up with the 'sweats'.

I have the theory - it works for me - that if you eat healthy food, little or no meat, no additives etc, that you can actually eat more without feeling stuffed and lethargic afterwards.

I hope this makes sense.