Thai Airways: How long do you have to wait on hold when phoning them?

The hold times before reaching an agent at the "Thai Contact Centre" are becoming a complete joke, at least for me. I phoned them last week and had to wait 28 minutes before an agent answered. Of course I was not angry with the agent as lack of resources is not their problem. In fact, when I gently mentioned my 28 minute waiting time on hold, she apologised and told me they only had four agents taking calls (!). Oh, but after about ten minutes of waiting, a recorded voice apologises for the wait and suggests that you fax them with your query and they will reply as soon as possible. Seriously…are they joking?

I am at 32 minutes on hold waiting for an agent to answer as I write this, have other things to do, and I am afraid I cannot tolerate the cheesy hold music. I give up.

So what is your experience trying to speak with an agent by phone at Thai Airways? Is this just my bad luck?

I am ROP Gold and we lowly proletariate do not get a special number, nor do they seem to recognise my registered number by caller ID and route accordingly, as they once did. Still better was up until about three years ago, Gold members (there was no Platinum then) had a special desk to call, and a personal agent with whom we could consult. I worked with my agent for around ten years like that, but alas, those were the days that are long gone now with Thai Airways. The Gold desk was closed and my agent took early retirement.

So, if their queuing priority is based on status and ROP Gold members wait in excess of 30 minutes for an agent to answer, I pity anyone who bears a lower ROP status.

I am ROP Gold and we lowly proletariate do not get a special number, nor do they seem to recognise my registered number by caller ID and route accordingly, as they once did. Still better was up until about three years ago, Gold members (there was no Platinum then) had a special desk to call, and a personal agent with whom we could consult. I worked with my agent for around ten years like that, but alas, those were the days that are long gone now with Thai Airways. The Gold desk was closed and my agent took early retirement.

So, if their queuing priority is based on status and ROP Gold members wait in excess of 30 minutes for an agent to answer, I pity anyone who bears a lower ROP status.

Gold has had no real status for years, and there's a simple reason, Thai has issued more gold cards than you can count, most of them not to people who have qualified through mileage etc.

Years back I flew at least twice a week out of Bkk and return, I gave up on the gold card check-in line, no value whatever.

Bottom line for me - for multiple reasons (including severe rudeness to my 18 yr old Thai son flying with me in business class on a fully paid ticket) I will never fly Thai again, and there's plenty of other choices, often much cheaper.

I have fallen out of Gold but still manage to get connected with maybe a 2-3 minute hold, worst case. The only time I had a problem with their phone service was about a month ago when their online booking system crapped out and when I tried their number, it wasn't even going to the voice prompts! I guess their 4 phone agents were well and truly snowed under!

But back to the OP who doesn't really like THAI anyway...

I have the same issues... The last time I couldn't get through all weekend, finally on a Monday morning my Wife called up her friend at TG and has my return flight was rebooked via the 'friend route' rather than the call centre.

I find their service an embarrassment for the nation. I compare this directly to an airline such as Garuda whose call centres are much more responsive...

I have fallen out of Gold but still manage to get connected with maybe a 2-3 minute hold, worst case. The only time I had a problem with their phone service was about a month ago when their online booking system crapped out and when I tried their number, it wasn't even going to the voice prompts! I guess their 4 phone agents were well and truly snowed under!

You're a mindreader. I don't like Thai much at all, after having had a Gold card for around 15 years, but if you live in Bangkok and travel a lot on business as I do, we often don't have much of a choice when it comes to selecting an airline.

I never was able to get through to the Thai contact centre by phone. But I did end up taking the flight today. Here is what was on offer this morning for the western breakfast selection in the Royal Silk business class lounge next to the E gates.

post-665-0-34783400-1373441289_thumb.jpg

It's a hard-boiled egg with what appeared to be some sort of processed ham food product, floating in grease and water. Not sure though…I passed on it.

For the past 2 weeks, there are even worse regarding hold times on call caontact center because they have several promotions on offer in the same time such as 50% ROP miles on award tickets, Summer Hot Sales and Domestic Hot Sales.

You're a mindreader. I don't like Thai much at all, after having had a Gold card for around 15 years, but if you live in Bangkok and travel a lot on business as I do, we often don't have much of a choice when it comes to selecting an airline.

I never was able to get through to the Thai contact centre by phone. But I did end up taking the flight today. Here is what was on offer this morning for the western breakfast selection in the Royal Silk business class lounge next to the E gates.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

It's a hard-boiled egg with what appeared to be some sort of processed ham food product, floating in grease and water. Not sure though…I passed on it.

Gross. Another advantage of being ROP Plat: you get to use the 1st class lounge no matter what kind of class you travel in, and they do some great food there.

For the past 2 weeks, there are even worse regarding hold times on call contact center because they have several promotions on offer in the same time such as 50% ROP miles on award tickets, Summer Hot Sales and Domestic Hot Sales.

I experienced the same. So in desperation I called their Chiang Mai phone number instead (although I'm Bangkok based), and they answered the phone quickly and didn't seem to mind that I was calling from Bangkok.

I purchased a J class ticket via the website. HKG-BKK-HKT-HKG. Needed to make a change as I had to fly back to HKG on a Sunday and not Monday as was planned, so I called the call center in BKK on Saturday morning, I was told to call the HKG ticket office as BKK couldn't change my flight because the only availability was via BKK and not on the direct HKT-BKK flight.

Guess what? The HKG ticket office is closed on the weekend. I spent hours on hold with BKK and when I finally got though I had to explain routings to the agent. I was told someone would call me back. Never happened. I finally said, cancel the ticket, sell me a 1 way fare if you are incapable of making the change because the HKG office locked the ticket.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. The lightbulb went on over the agent's head.

I sympathize and admire the restraint of some people when describing their frustrations.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Gross. Another advantage of being ROP Plat: you get to use the 1st class lounge no matter what kind of class you travel in, and they do some great food there.

Cool, except for one thing. After that great food in the FC lounge, because Platinum, you have to spent the next several hours in last generation seats and food service that is not quite economy in airlines such as Emirates and Singapore. But then, you do still have the distinct ego enhancement with that only comes with that Platinum card.

For the past 2 weeks, there are even worse regarding hold times on call contact center because they have several promotions on offer in the same time such as 50% ROP miles on award tickets, Summer Hot Sales and Domestic Hot Sales.

I experienced the same. So in desperation I called their Chiang Mai phone number instead (although I'm Bangkok based), and they answered the phone quickly and didn't seem to mind that I was calling from Bangkok.

Actually here in CM it's worth a quick drive to their main offices or even the office at the airport, rather than call or try to use their website, the service is excellent, good listeners, lots of effort to achieve what your looking for (if you really have to fly Thai).

And often if you go to the office at CM airport and book/ buy a ticket for the next flight it's cheaper than the main AirAsia & Nok fares, and with very pleasant service.

But I don't fly Thai unless no other choice. I flew out of Bkk to several Asian destinations several times every week for many years, because of company policy had to fly Thai. I could write a very big book of personal and observed negative incidents etc.

One of the worst; flying in business class accompanied by my 18 yr old Thai son. Son flying on a full fare ticket, son had flown many times before. After dinner service and everything very quiet my son politely asked a business class hostess for a glass of Coca-Cola. Her response, 'go to economy class and ask there'.

Edited by scorecard

• 4 weeks later...

Actually here in CM it's worth a quick drive to their main offices or even the office at the airport, rather than call or try to use their website, the service is excellent, good listeners, lots of effort to achieve what your looking for (if you really have to fly Thai).

And often if you go to the office at CM airport and book/ buy a ticket for the next flight it's cheaper than the main AirAsia & Nok fares, and with very pleasant service.

But I don't fly Thai unless no other choice. I flew out of Bkk to several Asian destinations several times every week for many years, because of company policy had to fly Thai. I could write a very big book of personal and observed negative incidents etc.

One of the worst; flying in business class accompanied by my 18 yr old Thai son. Son flying on a full fare ticket, son had flown many times before. After dinner service and everything very quiet my son politely asked a business class hostess for a glass of Coca-Cola. Her response, 'go to economy class and ask there'.

Holy cow. That is unbelievable they said that to your son. You should report to the flight manager! I reported my broken entertainment unit once and the cabin crew asked for my address. They then sent me $200 worth of compensation to be used with any TG flight.

I remember when I was 18-20 (because I cared to dress unlike a tourist) and flying on my own teen savings (economy class) I was treated badly once. But that was probably because I was flying economy and dressed badly or perhaps that granny-looking staff had a really bad day.

Oh well. I don't hold grudges whatsoever. I simply choose to fly a different airline! I see airlines loyalty programs to be very useless if you are always flying business class (where you will have lounge access anyway) or first class all the time. I fly Thai Airways exclusively only on domestic flights now (and their domestic business class food is still crappy. Congee all the time on morning flights <deleted>).

And yes, Thai Airways seems to do so many deals with local credit cards. Everyone seems to be in the lounges. But one good perk is that Krungsri Exclusive bank card does give you twice a year free-entry to TG first class.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think choosing different airlines every time you fly is actually quite fun. You keep discovering your new favorites (for me, most recently it's Qatar)

Edited by infernalman7

• 2 weeks later...

What are the main reasons people are calling THAI's CC?

Is it mainly for changes? Re-issues? New tickets?

Which numbers are you calling? 02 132 1888? 02 288 7000? 02 356 1111? 02 545 3691?

I'd write a 'letter to the editor' to one/both of the English newspapers, as this typically helps to draw attention to issues. You could also write letters to the President of TG, and select (opposition party) Board members. Kvetching here helps reduce one's tension, but may not help to ultimately identify and resolve the problem(s)?

Activity in call centers is actively/microscopically monitored, and supervisors should pitch in, when volume/handling time exceeds certain parameters. Is there an English language opt out? Maybe they have a limited number of English-capable CSR's?

Are there alternatives? Can you use the web-site to "Check Booking" (with the PNR and name), and then move through to a change screen?

For people who travel a lot you really should off-load dealing with travel issues to an assistant or travel agent, assuming your time is better spent doing whatever it is that you do.

My most recent reason for trying to call the Thai Contact Center (on 02 356 1111) was because when I checked my booking, my outbound seat was not ticked green to indicate that it was confirmed, although the return seat was. Unlike every other airline that I use, Thai's primitive web site system for checking bookings does not allow to change seating between the time of booking and online checkin (24 hours before flight time). So if you want to do anything with seats, you must use the phone. I do not leave seat selection to my assistant, so that is why I call myself.

Maybe they have a limited number of English-capable CSR's?

I would say so. The agent I spoke with during my last experience of waiting 28 minutes to get through told me there was a total of four agents working the phones at the time. Presumably that is the English section. Yet another example of Thai's underfunded and cut-rate approach to quality service.

I'd write a 'letter to the editor' to one/both of the English newspapers, as this typically helps to draw attention to issues. You could also write letters to the President of TG, and select (opposition party) Board members. Kvetching here helps reduce one's tension, but may not help to ultimately identify and resolve the problem(s)?

I am sure that would be very time consuming and I agree there would likely be no resolution. It is easier just to simply avoid the frustration and take one's business elsewhere, and that is exactly what I am doing when I can find an alternative to flying Thai. A reasonable alternative, that is. For example, I think I would still choose Thai over Cebu Pacific or Philippine Airlines to Manila. It's a short flight as well, so it would be easy enough to buy something at Subway and not be subjected to some sort of oily mess called "dinner" from the business class galley.

• 2 months later...

I have tried to call them twice during the last week. I was on hold the first time (four days ago) for 25 - 30 minutes before an agent answered. I waited for 20 minutes yesterday and then gave up as I had a meeting coming up. Pathetic service from a major international carrier at their home base support centre. I remember when Royal Orchid Gold member used to have a priority call centre phone number, as do most airlines, but that has since gone away years ago.

Interestingly, Thai now have a new excuse recording running when you phone in which says that due to Thai installing new phone equipment, waits will be longer than usual. That has been running for at least five days now.

Thanks for the tip, Aussieroaming - maybe next time I will call TG at Phuket or Chiang Mai and try my luck. That is, when I have no choice other than to fly Thai Airways!

we just booked with them again as they were the cheapest but I swore in 2006 never to use them again. I bought a one way to Thailand then they emailed me saying I could not use it as would not be able to get entry on that. I tried to call them and was at work so time was not an issue, up to an hour with no answer, often it could just cut off, this was in the UK. In the end I had a day off work and went all the way to London, oh they never replied to many emails either When I got to the office I was the only person there so they were hardly swamped with work. They did not have a clue if I could use the one way ticket or not and had to call TG check in at Heathrow! They said is was OK. When I asked why they did not answer the phone or emails the office said they had been busy, with what I could not see.

Last Thursday from 11.00-14.00 the main TG contact number just gave the engaged tone - I called it 10+ times over 3 hours. Eventually I went to Silom Office where there was the biggest queue I have ever been stuck in. 1.5 hours later I saw an agent who then took literally an hour to sort two international bookings - one a mileage ticket (I twice left the counter to sit whilst we both waited for....whatever). She said they had a new (hopeless) reservation system had just been installed & she could not get through to the central TG booking centre to confirm one leg of my ticket. Truly dismal.

I am another Gold member who remembers the days of a dedicated phone line. Given the still low cost of labour here it is staggering this cant be organised. An awful awful lot of TG revenue must be going walky walkies.

Edited by GeorgeKi