Tourist Radio In Pattaya,

davethailand

There is a radio station on air in Pattaya called Tourist Radio Station "TRS 103fm", its been up for a couple of years now but a guy who comes to my bar has bought it and is trying to make it bigger and better, It has (i believe) a swedish hour, a little bit of thai and of course english shows and it also has news which is provided by Pattaya Mail and immigration bulletins via a deal thay have with the immigration office.

Its on air from about 8am till around midnight and is certainly better than other previous efforts, Its early days yet but a few guys i know are going to do a few shows on there as well as my band doing some stuff in the club for them to play on air as well as Snowman doing some "blues hour" shows for them to play on air.

Obviously a problem is of course is that not too many tourists listen to the radio

Hope admin don't mind me plugging this and i honestly have no connection financially with this project just a mutual agreement where i will plug the station in the bar and they plug my bar on the radio.

:o

I 've been listening to it in the car for the past few weeks. It's the only English radio station I can get out at Mabprachan. It's not bad at all - in fact I think the music is improving.

There was a Thai lady on one afternoon who had me in hysterics explaining all about prostate problems and how the doctor sticks his finger up the rectum to feel if anything's got enlarged . Her English was very Thaiglish, and she seemed to be doing a live but loose translation from Thai, but it added to the charm - not sure but she might have been sponsored by Bangkok Pattaya.

Sometimes there's very long tourist news , but I guess that's fair enough if you want tourists to listen.

I 've heard your ads Dave, and it has actually persauded me to give you avisit - I'll bring my daughter and her husband along when they come to visit from the Uk next week.

As an odd aside, I was involved in the running the very first English radio station in Thailand , back in the late seventies, so I have a proprietry interest. That was before I got a proper job.

Pass on my best wishes to the owner - and tell him its coming along fine. :o

Mobi,

I can also receive 107fm just fine around the lake...

English as well...

I know 107 Monty, that was the frequency I started 30 odd years ago. I actually bought the FM 107 transmitter in from America (that was the sweetner with the then MCOT to get the contract). I think they're still using the same one, as it was very powerful then and still is today. For some bloody stupid reason, I can't get FM 107 in my car until I get half way to Pattaya, and then its patchy. I guess my car radio aerial is a bit iffy.

BY the way, our 70's shows were much better than the stuff they churn out today - but I would say that, wouldn't I? :o

I never knew theyhad a radio station in Pattaya, I thought the only English speaking one was Bangkok radio, and that was terrible for music, fine if you want to chat though

I was using my laptop to get music from the UK while I was there

How about advertising it a bit more, if its worthwhile I'd listen to it :D

I prefer the radio to the TV (seems to be a lot of stuff I'm not really into (I think the Pattaya people on channel 6 is pretty good for keeping up to date with what's happening around Pattaya)

But thats just my opinion :o

I never knew theyhad a radio station in Pattaya, I thought the only English speaking one was Bangkok radio, and that was terrible for music, fine if you want to chat though

I was using my laptop to get music from the UK while I was thereHow about advertising it a bit more, if its worthwhile I'd listen to it :D

I prefer the radio to the TV (seems to be a lot of stuff I'm not really into (I think the Pattaya people on channel 6 is pretty good for keeping up to date with what's happening around Pattaya)

But thats just my opinion :o

Me too, listen every day to radios 4, 5 and 2 in that order. Pipe it out to the pool, its just like being in England!! (No it's not, but it does keep me in touch.) I even occasionally listen to FM107 on the internet, but those Dj's are a bit hard to take, especially the Thai ladies with the smarmy American accents.

Incidentally, for anyone who has UBC, they have a very good slection of digital music staions, - every genre you can dream of - from classical to blues to jazz to classic pop, to swing and a whole load more. Pretty good stuff.

If Fm 103 could get on the internet, that would be great. :D

have they got a website and do they broadcast on the internet ?

A lot of stations are doing that now, its a lot clearer and gives a larger audience (and its easier to book mark) rather than trawling around on a radio

Is there any digital radio stations in Thailand ?

radio.mcot.net/107.htm

Is this the same radio station as this .....Tourist Radio Station "TRS 103fm",

I have got the BBC news on it at the moment :o

No, this is Thailands only 24 hour english language station which broadcasts from Bangkok - Metropolis 107FM. They carry the news from the BBC, CNN and ABC and they play classic music, from the 60's to the mid 90's (which is soon to change to become more up to date). Oh, and by the way, I just happen to DJ on there at the weekends!!!! This differs to the TRS station, as it runs on a community radio station license. Metropolis is a fully commercial radio station run by the MCOT Public Company Ltd which operates Channel 9 on the TV and a couple of national radio stations such as Seed 97.5FM and Modern Radio 95FM which are Thai language radio stations also running from the same building.

It is a shame that TRS don't broadcast on the internet, it is very easy and free to set yourself up with internet streaming software. Maybe Dave, you could suggest it to the owner.

Edited by hm1973

There is a radio station on air in Pattaya called Tourist Radio Station "TRS 103fm", its been up for a couple of years now but a guy who comes to my bar has bought it and is trying to make it bigger and better, It has (i believe) a swedish hour, a little bit of thai and of course english shows and it also has news which is provided by Pattaya Mail and immigration bulletins via a deal thay have with the immigration office.

Its on air from about 8am till around midnight and is certainly better than other previous efforts, Its early days yet but a few guys i know are going to do a few shows on there as well as my band doing some stuff in the club for them to play on air as well as Snowman doing some "blues hour" shows for them to play on air.

Obviously a problem is of course is that not too many tourists listen to the radio

Hope admin don't mind me plugging this and i honestly have no connection financially with this project just a mutual agreement where i will plug the station in the bar and they plug my bar on the radio.

:o

Maybe they should do some advertising on the baht busses, bars, or on the back of the Ekamai/Pattaya bus receipt. I don't recall seeing anything in print mentioning that they even have a tourist radio station in Pattaya.

Its on air from about 8am till around midnight and :D

Dave, the owner is a Thai lady called Anna. She has recently taken on a business partner who is obviously your friend. I and another person looked at buying into this station a few months ago as hm1973 will confirm, but we decided against it.

They have recently upgraded thier transmitter which now covers a much bigger area. They are actually on from 06.00 - 00.00 each day and promote themselves as Pattaya's only English radio station. In fact they are only partly English as they have Thai, Japanese and Scandanavian as well as English speaking DJ's

They have a good news programme from the Nation on at around 19.00 each day. And a really excellent property programme on saturday mornings between 10.00 - midday. :o:D