What is your monthy budget ?

Billy The Kid

Never mind talking about a two week millionaires or over the top budget. I like to know/hear from Expat who can manage on regular budget. Would 50,000 bt a month (Rent excluded) be enough to live in Pattaya. bearing in mind that i am not a womaniser or a drinker. I likes to eat out at night as often as i can. Patrick The Belgian at Soi Diana, Pattaya, is my favourite spot.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll get a ton of people coming on and telling you that it's impossible to live in Thailand on 50,000B p/m and a load more saying they couldn't spend that much if they tried.

Yes it is possible. Very possible. Especially if you don't drink or pick up bar girls....but if you don't then why the dump that is Pattaya? It can't be for the beaches or culture.

I am a full time pool player, six times a week in fact except on Saturday. Bought two condos in 2005 cos the Pool scene in Pattaya is fantastic, probably the best in the world. Preparing myself for retirement in either next year or 2015. I just want a feelers of Expat experience. Swimming everyday is also my other hobby. Of course the Bargirls is another choice but they are not far away from my two main hobbies. Maybe one a week will be sufficient for me.

I spend 35000 THB per month with internet, power and water included. I pay no rent as I own a condo. So yeah 50k /month - no problemo for me.

Thanks mate, Fantastic, Do you live alone, what is your normal bill for electricity and water every month if you dont mind me asking , Thanks again.

You'll get a ton of people coming on and telling you that it's impossible to live in Thailand on 50,000B p/m and a load more saying they couldn't spend that much if they tried.

Yes it is possible. Very possible. Especially if you don't drink or pick up bar girls....but if you don't then why the dump that is Pattaya? It can't be for the beaches or culture.

50k/month is easy to survive on including rent if you are renting a modest digs and aren't out eating, drinking, dancing (and the other) every night.

What I like about the dump is there are not a lot of punters posing with bottles of Johnny red on their tables in the bars and restaurants.

Edited by NanLaew

Without kids , school fees, rent it's very easy as long as you're not eating at tourist prices every night.

The other biggy is medical emergencies, but I imagine you have insurance.

Remember though soft drinks are often as expensive or nearly as expensive or more expensive when happy hour is on than beer. If you are spending most nights in bars playing pool.

• Like 1

No kids? Easy as.

I have three , they are now adult, time for me to retire and go out and enjoy rather than sitting in a armchair watching TV with pouring rain outside in Ireland.

Good for you. You might still find yourself sitting in an armchair with pouring rain, but it'll be warm rain and the beer will be cold. 50k a month is a dream for many people. Enjoy.

Come over and buy some things with a lump sum.

Scooter/Motorbike, furnishings, etc.

50k p/m when single with no dependants, and old enough to not be partying every night, if at all, no bother. But I wouldn't choose Pattaya.

Though if the 50k is a set amount from an overseas pension, try to save a little, guys retired 7 or 8 years while getting 70b to the pound, if they were feeling a bit tight then they're feeling tightly squeezed now. :whistling: Consider the same might or will happen to you.

Edited by Salapoo

50k p/m when single with no dependants, and old enough to not be partying every night, if at all, no bother. But I wouldn't choose Pattaya.

But you don't play pool do you?

Though if the 50k is a set amount from an overseas pension, try to save a little, guys retired 7 or 8 years while getting 70b to the pound, if they were feeling a bit tight then they're feeling tightly squeezed now. whistling.gif Consider the same might or will happen to you.

I target the rate for thai baht to 40 bt for an Euro equals 50,000 bt a month . Anything more will be a bonus. I already have furnishings years ago, top notch furnitures. I dont ride scooters, use Bahtbus many times, average i spend on bahtbus is 30 bt daily (three trips). Too many Scooters accidents recorded in Thailand had put me off.

Also "Don't forget the 800K in the bank for the visa and the 90 day trip" Brigade

CCC

I know the 800 k balance or 65,000 a month income is a must for retirement visa in Thailand. That is my aim cos i am 53 yrs old. Why the 90 day trip brigade ? Do i have to do that with retirement visa !!! Thanks in advance.

Under 50K including rent and the woman who lives with me.

We drink and go out too.

As ever, it all depends on your lifestyle. Do you want to live like a millionaire or a normal everyday person?

Today - for example - We went to the Big Buddah Temple. 20 Baht for flowers, joss sticks and gold leaf and we made merit to Buddah 20 Baht each to the monk to get his blessing. Rode around town a bit and down to Beach Road on the m/c before going for a coffee each at a whopping 66 Baht for 2 coffees. Then back home.

Thursday we will be out listening to music and drinking beer. Nothing flash. A few large leo's at 65 Baht each, some chat with friends and off home.

Friday off shopping to BigC and Makro.

Nothing expensive at all. But you do not need money to be happy IMHO. Good company, a few beers when needed or simply at home watching good English television. The internet, reasonable home cooked food and such like.

Sometimes off to Bang Saray for a visit to a sea food restaurant or nipping down to Jomtien for a stroll along the beach.

Life as one long holiday, throwing money about? No thanks. I'm happy as i am.

Sound a good life you are having, Well done and thanks for your share of your experience.

Under 50K including rent and the woman who lives with me.

We drink and go out too.

As ever, it all depends on your lifestyle. Do you want to live like a millionaire or a normal everyday person?

Today - for example - We went to the Big Buddah Temple. 20 Baht for flowers, joss sticks and gold leaf and we made merit to Buddah 20 Baht each to the monk to get his blessing. Rode around town a bit and down to Beach Road on the m/c before going for a coffee each at a whopping 66 Baht for 2 coffees. Then back home.

Thursday we will be out listening to music and drinking beer. Nothing flash. A few large leo's at 65 Baht each, some chat with friends and off home.

Friday off shopping to BigC and Makro.

Nothing expensive at all. But you do not need money to be happy IMHO. Good company, a few beers when needed or simply at home watching good English television. The internet, reasonable home cooked food and such like.

Sometimes off to Bang Saray for a visit to a sea food restaurant or nipping down to Jomtien for a stroll along the beach.

Life as one long holiday, throwing money about? No thanks. I'm happy as i am.

Also around 40k with a car a big bike and small bike and woman but she is paying her way. So the actual budget is higher.

I am a full time pool player, six times a week in fact except on Saturday. Bought two condos in 2005 cos the Pool scene in Pattaya is fantastic, probably the best in the world. Preparing myself for retirement in either next year or 2015. I just want a feelers of Expat experience. Swimming everyday is also my other hobby. Of course the Bargirls is another choice but they are not far away from my two main hobbies. Maybe one a week will be sufficient for me.

Swimming in the sea Pattaya is not recommended, as the sea is very polluted.

You can swim in the pool of course.

• Like 1

Swimming in the sea Pattaya is not recommended, as the sea is very polluted.

You can swim in the pool of course.

Of course , it is swimming pool at my condo area. Agreed that The water is filthy out there is the sea. Phi Phi Island sea is beautiful, you could see anything in the water.

why are you asking these things in a pattaya forum,The belgian fella with his restaurant does not know what hes talking about himself and he was a parracommando that came to thailand as an instructor to the thai special forces bla bla ...

If you wanna find hardcore poolplayers just go to most local bars with a pool table ,most bargirls will give you the pool experience of a lifetime wich most world champion snooker players do not know how to do.and at one point every and other every farang owning a bussiness in pattaya has some fony royal recomondation plak hanging on the wall.

If you wanna play pool for real or snooker six times a week beter u move to the uk or usa fella .

Edited by Kudel
  • Like 1

why are you asking these things in a pattaya forum,The belgian fella with his restaurant does not know what hes talking about himself and he was a parracommando that came to thailand as an instructor to the thai special forces bla bla ...

If you wanna find hardcore poolplayers just go to most local bars with a pool table ,most bargirls will give you the pool experience of a lifetime wich most world champion snooker players do not know how to do.and at one point every and other every farang owning a bussiness in pattaya has some fony royal recomondation plak hanging on the wall.

If you wanna play pool for real or snooker six times a week beter u move to the uk or usa fella .

I already experienced Pool scene since 2004, i dont play in most bars , Top quality tables with great players is what i always like to compete with clubs like Mega Break Soi Diana. I do play the bargirls sometimes with lots of fun. Why am i asking things in Pattaya forum ? Am i entitlled to ? Of course i am. I am seriously moving to Thailand in 2014/15 and wanted to make sure that i have enough cash to live full life in thailand . That is why i am asking people here to give me an advice, Nothing wrong with that ! By the way, I,m Irish, There is no one playing snooker or pool at all in my town. But in Pattaya, there is three night of pubs league pool and three nights of pool handicap at Mega Break. Pool is my love, Pattaya is perfect place to be for me, The sun, The foods, The culture etc.

• Like 2

I already experienced Pool scene since 2004, i dont play in most bars , Top quality tables with great players is what i always like to compete with clubs like Mega Break Soi Diana. I do play the bargirls sometimes with lots of fun. Why am i asking things in Pattaya forum ? Am i entitlled to ? Of course i am. I am seriously moving to Thailand in 2014/15 and wanted to make sure that i have enough cash to live full life in thailand . That is why i am asking people here to give me an advice, Nothing wrong with that ! By the way, I,m Irish, There is no one playing snooker or pool at all in my town. But in Pattaya, there is three night of pubs league pool and three nights of pool handicap at Mega Break. Pool is my love, Pattaya is perfect place to be for me, The sun, The foods, The culture etc.

what culture are you talking about when hanging around pool tables all the time?
  • Like 1

We went to the Big Buddah Temple. 20 Baht for flowers, joss sticks and gold leaf and we made merit to Buddah 20 Baht each to the monk to get his blessing.

There's something wrong there.

Why?

That is the way very many Thai people do it.

The 20 Baht each is a donation. You do not have to give it.

Besides this is not really on topic, the topic itself is about managing on less than 50K per month. I was merely showing a few examples of daily life that do not cost a fortune..

If u are a player in the Pattaya pool scene u will know Charlie,he has had a stroke/heart attack so i here thru the grapevine,do u know how he is.He part owns the new place Legends,off pattaya klang,just opened a few weeks ago.