Army will have nothing to do with Thaksin return: Thanasak

webfact

Army will have nothing to do with Thaksin return: Thanasak
Panya Thiaosangwan
The Nation

30210314-01_big.jpg
Commanders of the Armed Forces line up during a review of soldiers taking part at a joint military exercise yesterday at an Army firing range in Nakhon Ratchasima. Standing from left in the front row are Air Force commander Air Chief Marshal Prajin Junton

BANGKOK: -- Supreme Commander General Thanasak Pratimapakorn said yesterday that the issue of whether former PM Thaksin Shinawatra will be allowed to return as a free man was not up to the military because it is not the Justice Ministry.

Thanasak said this in reaction to questions about the recently leaked audio clip purportedly of a conversation between Thaksin and Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha, in which they discussed several topics including the former leader's return to the Kingdom.

Thanasak, who was on a working trip to Nakhon Ratchasima, insisted that the armed forces would not meddle in politics. He also said the armed forces would not discuss the clip with the press as there was nothing to say on it and he was not interested in the issue.

When asked about being referred to in the clip by his position, and one of the parties saying he was in good terms with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra after a rocky beginning, Thanasak said he was not offended.

"My principle is that I talk with other top brass with reason," he told reporters.

Asked if the leaked audio clip would have a negative effect in his relationship with others in the armed forces, Thanasak reiterated he was not angry with anybody.

When asked how the public could be assured that the military is not being manipulated politicians, the Supreme Commander responded by asking reporters if the armed forces had ever been under any political manipulation.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-13

Ill fitting uniforms indeed. A weird phenomenon considering Thailand is the hub of Indian tailors.

There's the very, very expensive Sam's in Hong Kong and there's no shortage of certain Thais heading there.

"Believe what the military says at your own risk. 2006 - "There will not be a coup!"".................................................

Unless we find a rotten to the core fox in the henhouse, then we might have one.

• Like 1

I have lived here 26 years and through 5 coups, I think. When was the military not not in politics? MORE THAI POLITICAL SOUND BYTES.

The military not being involved in politics is as likely as Thailand going " dry " over Buddhist Lent.

• Like 1

I love Thailand. It never ceases to amaze me daily by the bald outright lies and untruths that are spoken by those at the top and their belief that the "masses" will just accept it. Thank goodness that is changing, albeit slowly. Yingluck has done a fantastic job in showing the "masses" what outright liars and thieves they all are. Keep up the great work. After 2 more years of this, they'll never get in power again.

In the unlikely event that the Social Democrats get rid of the albatross around the neck (Abhiisit) you might be correct. Otherwise the Pua Thai will probably win with a smaller majority. Then we might see some stiring of Thailand from it's decades of malaise.

• Like 1

Correct of the Supreme Commander General. The Army has nothing to do with the return of Thaksin. It is the judiciary. Where the Army has right of veto (as it should be until these thieves and thugs can learn democracy is not about hijacking the whole system), and backing the judiciary over these corrupt thieves, is when Thaksin and/or Pheau Thai do not obey a Thaksin thugs non threatened court/s decision.

I love Thailand. It never ceases to amaze me daily by the bald outright lies and untruths that are spoken by those at the top and their belief that the "masses" will just accept it. Thank goodness that is changing, albeit slowly. Yingluck has done a fantastic job in showing the "masses" what outright liars and thieves they all are. Keep up the great work. After 2 more years of this, they'll never get in power again.

In the unlikely event that the Social Democrats get rid of the albatross around the neck (Abhiisit) you might be correct. Otherwise the Pua Thai will probably win with a smaller majority. Then we might see some stiring of Thailand from it's decades of malaise.

You're having a laugh!! thumbsup.gif I get your posts now really dark humour clap2.gif

Must be, because no one would believe PTP could change their spots whether they get re-elected or not. A party owned and controlld by a fugutive criminal, riddled by corruption, mismanagement and inept in most things it does.

Thailand really needs some new, corrupt free, capable leaders - fat chance with this lot.

• Like 1

Correct of the Supreme Commander General. The Army has nothing to do with the return of Thaksin. It is the judiciary. Where the Army has right of veto (as it should be until these thieves and thugs can learn democracy is not about hijacking the whole system), and backing the judiciary over these corrupt thieves, is when Thaksin and/or Pheau Thai do not obey a Thaksin thugs non threatened court/s decision.

So if the government fail to answer the omburdsman question or revoke the illegally issued passport to their leader, the court could need some support? Just saying.....

• Like 1

Ill fitting uniforms indeed. A weird phenomenon considering Thailand is the hub of Indian tailors.

And a couple of them in the photo could benefit from some good old military physical excercise programs judging by the bloke on the right....nice little beer belly on the go there

I took one look at the picture and a quote from the Duke Of Wellington came to mind

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me."

All they lack is Captain Mainwaring. No shortage of Private Pikes in the ranks either, I guess.

I love Thailand also but what ceases to amaze me is the people that post about the politics here. Thailand is no different than any other country in the world, every country has corrupt politicians. Being a third world country and a new democracy they just have not perfected how to hide it as well yet, compared to the more developed countries. You can always tell when a politician is lieing, thats when his lips are moving, politicians are at the bottom of the food chain no matter where you go in the world. While it is unacceptable to me just like most of you, I prefer it this way here compared to Europe or USA, where they have perfected there corupt ways!

I doubt very much that the army would countenance Thaksin's return via an amnesty. Throughout the Thaksin direct-rule era & the current Skype-rule era, he has never been able to infiltrate his clan & buddies into the higher ranks (with one exception) to the degree that he has done with the police.

The exception was General Chaisit Shinawatra as army commander & what a disaster he was. Remember too that he thought General Sonthi was on his side when allowing him to rise to army chief - with rather disastrous results for DL.