Insurance Renewal

lexilis

My medical and accident insurance is expiring and I want to renew and maybe up the coverage some. I have an extended coverage for motorcycle accidents up to 1M Bt. I got the policy last year at the AA Insurance place in Meechok Plaza. There was a farang guy there who explained everything and answered all my questions and it was good service. Going there yesterday to renew, there was a Thai girl who said there was "no farang in office anymore". I was looking at various coverage options and she could not answer any of my questions. One option actually has 15k of dental coverage. I asked what does that cover and she said "everything, all dental". I was a bit doubtful of that but she could could not provide any further information. I asked to see the insurance contract (in English) but she said I had to buy it first and then they would send me one in three weeks. The girl was friendly enough and she tried but this is very exasperating and unprofessional. I would like to find a well-established insurance office with an English-speaking professional who can answer questions and actually show me a contract. Any recommendations?

They are just brokers. Your insurance policy should have the insurance company name and contact number, and that is who you need to contact about renewal or any changes, or any claims. If you go through the broker again, she will take your information, submit it to the insurance company, and then come back with a quote from them. At least that is what they did for me when I obtained my home insurance through them.

There is an excellent insurance agent in Chonburi who is a farang and has been in Thailand for I think 20 years or more. He is extremely knowledgeable and can offer coverage through about 30 or more companies and can explain anything. We have purchased policies through him before. For a while TV was deleting any post who mentioned him but in reading through the insurance forum the other day it seems that is no longer the case. http://www.e-insurethailand.com

We also use AA brokers but deal with Peter at the Chonburi office. He is the principal of the company and is extremely knowledgeable. Been dealing with him for years.

Both are highly recommended.

Suggest you visit Neng at The Pattaya People Office. I have been using him for some time and have always received excellent service. If he is not sure about any points you raise he calls the insurance company immediately.

• 4 weeks later...

We use Khun Nui who does insurance for home, business, vehicles, personal life and health. She speaks excellent English and is a wonderful person to deal with. Do send me a pm and I can message you her contact information. She is an agent for AIA, AIG, QBE, MSIG.

• Like 1

I have an American company, that is backed by Lloyds of London, and an American agent. I also have the US civil court system if they don't pay. They also have a UK office. I have gotten quotes over the years for health insurance for Thailand, and this one seems to be less than half of what they were asking. I go with 100 USD deductible, and 500,000 USD max. Covers me from the time I leave for the airport in America, until I arrive back home after my trip. I just added on five days, since I just figured out when I am returning to the States. There was a 5 USD service charge for that, but the rate is the same. About 2.60 per day.

My agent is a personal friend, and the rate he gives me, is the same that their website gives, and he makes a decent commision. His daughter broke her back on an ATV while in Mexico and she was air-lifted to the States. She was covered. Isn't it a little strange that people constantly recommend agents/companies but never tell you how much they are paying? www.imglobal.com.

• Like 2

I have an American company, that is backed by Lloyds of London, and an American agent. I also have the US civil court system if they don't pay. They also have a UK office. I have gotten quotes over the years for health insurance for Thailand, and this one seems to be less than half of what they were asking. I go with 100 USD deductible, and 500,000 USD max. Covers me from the time I leave for the airport in America, until I arrive back home after my trip. I just added on five days, since I just figured out when I am returning to the States. There was a 5 USD service charge for that, but the rate is the same. About 2.60 per day.

My agent is a personal friend, and the rate he gives me, is the same that their website gives, and he makes a decent commision. His daughter broke her back on an ATV while in Mexico and she was air-lifted to the States. She was covered. Isn't it a little strange that people constantly recommend agents/companies but never tell you how much they are paying? www.imglobal.com.

Thighlander, thanks for this info. I just looked at their web page. Can I ask you, are you in Thailand? Have you actually gone into a Thai hospital with a medical insurance card from this company and had something routine done? Not horrible accidents, just check ups, blood test, physicals, that sort of thing?

Edited by NCC1701A

It doesn't pay for diagnostic test, unless ordered by a physician. They do have an electronic Claim Payor ID, which might mean something if you know about hospital billing. For small items, you will probably be getting reimbursed. Last Summer I was in Udon Thani, and the hospital there was even requiring Bupa customers to pay up front. Here is their online provider network: www.imglobal.com/provider. If you want HMO style coverage in Thailand, where you can walk in, and show your card, and never see a bill, it will be quite expensive.

Their website list five Bangkok Hospitals that do direct billing with them, including Bumrungrad. I do know someone, who was hospitalized in 2005 and had a 140K bill in Bangkok. He was covered with AIA at the school he worked at. He still had to pay the bill himself the day he was released (they were practically guarding the door), and it took about a month to get back 90K from AIA,

Edited by Thighlander

It doesn't pay for diagnostic test, unless ordered by a physician. They do have an electronic Claim Payor ID, which might mean something if you know about hospital billing. For small items, you will probably be getting reimbursed. Last Summer I was in Udon Thani, and the hospital there was even requiring Bupa customers to pay up front. Here is their online provider network: www.imglobal.com/provider. If you want HMO style coverage in Thailand, where you can walk in, and show your card, and never see a bill, it will be quite expensive.

Their website list five Bangkok Hospitals that do direct billing with them, including Bumrungrad. I do know someone, who was hospitalized in 2005 and had a 140K bill in Bangkok. He was covered with AIA at the school he worked at. He still had to pay the bill himself the day he was released (they were practically guarding the door), and it took about a month to get back 90K from AIA,

yes i just ran up to the Bupa site and got a quote of $431.00 a month, which is not too far different than my HMO in the US now. So this is interesting, because I hear so many stories about cheap medical in Thailand.

Edited by NCC1701A

which raises another question. I have been on this forum for about two years, and I have read many "How much does it cost to live in Thailand" threads. I realize there are many different ages and nationalities on this forum, but I never see anyone calling out health insurance costs as part of their Thailand budget. My quote just now was about 13,500 baht per month! Or about 1/3 of my 45,000 monthly budget. Am I missing something here? Is it that people are only doing catastrophic coverage and paying for little stuff as it comes up?

Neither the IMG plan or Bupa will meet the requirements set forth by the Obama cronies. But, he may waffle on all that stuff, too. Don't you think it would be in IMG's best interest to get you properly treated here, as opposed to waiting until you get back in the US? I'll take my 16 million thb coverage over the OPs 1 million, any day of the week. You may even want to consider a policy that covers you anywhere but the US. If you can find one person, who can explain Obamacare for Expats, please let me know. I had Kaiser in Virginia, and it was 380 per month, five years ago. I had a choice of three middle-easterners and one Russian woman as my primary doctor.

• 5 weeks later...