Foods that are overpriced in Thailand but you simply can't live without!

Jingthing

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haggis. If I could get haggis here it would probably be over-priced, but I can't so I live without.

And pheasant, that's fowl too

Anyway, if it was over-priced, you wouldn't buy it; if the price was right on the borderline, that would be the correct pricing for the vendor...If you're not happy with the price of groceries, then go back to Brooklyn

SC

hi cowboy,

have you treid making haggis,?

i make my own lincolnshire and cumberland sausage,

just a thought mate, i just bring all the seasoning mixes back with me, i buy them from ebay, and illsay to the wife, be ready to clean a lot im going to have a sausage making day,,lol,

she loves it, shes got a taist for them now,lol,

jake

• Like 2

sorry its me again,\

this has just made my smile about something that happend last time i was home,

it is about things we miss, honest,

my wife had picked me up from the airport, and was in the truck reading the papers that i had brought with me,

anyway in one of the magazines that come with the papers, she said whats that darling?

half an egg with powder,

i said no love its a scotch egg,

so to cut a long story short i ended up making them to, and bloody hell was they good, i had never eaten one warm,

right carry on

jake

Great list JT. Wine is ridiculous here. Maybe getting a bit better, but still expensive!

Beer should be on that list. Not sure about all countries, but back home, we have a much better selection at greatly reduced prices. Even for imports.

I don't live there as an expat(one day soon hopefully) but I'd miss the great selection of beers(micro brews, and imports) so on holiday I will be spending quite a bit to stock up the fridge with Beervana(already planning on ordering 2 cases of Rogue) and would probably do the same if I lived there.burp.giflaugh.png

They levy something like 400% ++ on items we have in our daily diets.

As long as you are prepared to eat rice 4 times a day 'yes' it can be cheap to live in the realm.

The 'affordable wine is shyt' a decent bottle is 5x the cost at home.

Add in staples like Marmite, Vegemite (for the antipodeans) jams, halfway decent biscuits, etc., and the cost is over the top bah.gif

• Like 1

I don't live there as an expat(one day soon hopefully) but I'd miss the great selection of beers(micro brews, and imports) so on holiday I will be spending quite a bit to stock up the fridge with Beervana(already planning on ordering 2 cases of Rogue) and would probably do the same if I lived there.burp.giflaugh.png

You dirty dog! Rogue! I love it! But at 180-200B+ per bottle here, it's something I just can not afford.

Enjoy!!!!wai2.gif

• Like 1

Affordable is relative.

I've just noticed in recent years I've been able to buy DRINKABLE wines (nothing great of course) in the 400 baht range, sometimes even 300. In the U.S. I was used to paying 250 - 500 baht per bottle and yes got better wine for those prices there, but still drinkable at 400 is better than nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

Avocados on your list?? I LOVE them and relish buying all that I need here at a mere fraction of their cost in Australia - even varieties identical to Australian grown ones eg. Hass or Williams.

If you're talking about good Haas like Thai grown varieties at low cost, yes I see them in the markets in Pattaya for a very limited time every year and of course buy lots of them! But its a short season at in the markets here. There is another larger smooth type of Thai cado that is commonly sold here that in the U.S. we call Florida variety and those in my experience are not nice at all. Those are of course quite cheap and rightly so. So for year round use I'm most stuck buying imports at about 60 baht per piece.

Basically I feel a deep need to have cados in the house all year as I use them in specific recipes that I frequently want, so I pay for that vice.

Edited by Jingthing

Aye aye Cowboy, don't know where you live but for any haggis starved Scots in Chiang Mai, Kelly's fish and chip restuarant gives a plate of haggis, neeps and tatties for 170 Baht. The owner is Scottish and my mate who lives here (a retired butcher) learned him how to make haggis.

• Like 2

Affordable is relative.

I've just noticed in recent years I've been able to buy DRINKABLE wines (nothing great of course) in the 400 baht range, sometimes even 300. In the U.S. I was used to paying 250 - 500 baht per bottle and yes got better wine for those prices there, but still drinkable at 400 is better than nothing.

Where? I have occasionally stumbled across something relatively cheap and fairly good (and usually with a label that didn't inspire confidence), but then it seemed to disappear from the shelves. More usually, at Friendship or Central, anything red that was palatable was at least in the B550 to B900 range and of course price was rarely a good indication of quality, so heading for the more expensive stuff on the assumption it will automatically be better is usually a disappointment anyway.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

in Australia $2 an avocado (60 baht) is about the normal price sadly

OK, that I didn't know. Much cheaper for most of the year in the U.S., especially California. I think most are imported there from Mexico actually, depending on the season.

That's interesting about the Australian price. If they are 60 baht there, I would normally expect them to be much higher here.

Edited by Jingthing

I have to say cheese is the one thing I will buy and pay over the top for.

Fortunately very few Thais will eat it!

Biggest misses from England are real ale and fresh cream cakes.

But in ten years or more here things have improved a lot. There was a time when you couldn't get decent biscuits or wine here at all and hardly any imported beer except bloody Heineken. Now at least you can buy blonde beer.

One thing I have noticed is after a run where imported goods seemed to go up every week there prices have now leveled off or even dropped with plenty of discounts on offer. Perhaps it has finally twigged that farangs are as wealthy as we once were.

• Like 1

Haggis. If I could get haggis here it would probably be over-priced, but I can't so I live without.

And pheasant, that's fowl too

Anyway, if it was over-priced, you wouldn't buy it; if the price was right on the borderline, that would be the correct pricing for the vendor...If you're not happy with the price of groceries, then go back to Brooklyn

SC

hi cowboy,

have you treid making haggis,?

i make my own lincolnshire and cumberland sausage,

just a thought mate, i just bring all the seasoning mixes back with me, i buy them from ebay, and illsay to the wife, be ready to clean a lot im going to have a sausage making day,,lol,

she loves it, shes got a taist for them now,lol,

jake

yep same here like my meats and sausages and cheese , cheese buy big pieces once in a while it saves a lot of money , i wish there where more imported beers thou in the Makro bigc tesco up in Mukh

Avocados on your list?? I LOVE them and relish buying all that I need here at a mere fraction of their cost in Australia - even varieties identical to Australian grown ones eg. Hass or Williams.

If you're talking about good Haas like Thai grown varieties at low cost, yes I see them in the markets in Pattaya for a very limited time every year and of course buy lots of them! But its a short season at in the markets here. There is another larger smooth type of Thai cado that is commonly sold here that in the U.S. we call Florida variety and those in my experience are not nice at all. Those are of course quite cheap and rightly so. So for year round use I'm most stuck buying imports at about 60 baht per piece.

Basically I feel a deep need to have cados in the house all year as I use them in specific recipes that I frequently want, so I pay for that vice.

What time of year do you get Thai avocados?

Well, my item is not overpriced. I just cannot find it anywhere. That is plantains - the large cooking bananas found everywhere in Latin America and the Caribbean. Also, I cannot find cassava (yucca) in the supermarkets although I know that Thailand produces and exports it. I want these items to make South American soups (i.e., Colombian sancocho and caldo de gallina). Any advice would be appreciated.

What time of year do you get Thai avocados?

A few days ago I was in Bittenbang, Cambodia, and the food stalls were filled with avocado's. They were not Hass. They appeared to be more like the variety that grows in Hawaii, where they do not grow on the branch, but directly off the trunk of the tree. Nowhere near the flavor of the Hass, and not as buttery. Is this what you are calling a Thai avocado? Possibly?