wagyu beef

meatboy

having never tried wagyu beef, as in wales the best was hereford blacks.

so if you are a wagyu eating guy where in thailand are you buying it.

the wf.came home with a supermarket advertisement for australia wagyu rib eye beef.

at the super shock price of 2,990bht.a kilo,reduced from 4,600bht.a kilo.[gbp £100]

is this the normall price or is it a load of bullocks.

wagyu in Aus is expensive , i buy rib eye from Makro in pattaya and that costs about 1500 baht a kilo wagyu beef has alot of marbling in it. I think this piece of meat was overprice.

wagyu in Aus is expensive , i buy rib eye from Makro in pattaya and that costs about 1500 baht a kilo wagyu beef has alot of marbling in it. I think this piece of meat was overprice.

the wagyu on offer had a marbling score of 7-9.

i have had good beef in america and other places but never as exspensive as wagyu,

and if you have never tasted welsh black beef you would find it hard to beat this breed has won awards all over the world,last time i bought some[farm shop in wales] it was around

1700bht a kilo.

i have had good beef in america and other places but never as exspensive as wagyu,

and if you have never tasted welsh black beef you would find it hard to beat this breed has won awards all over the world,last time i bought some[farm shop in wales] it was around

1700bht a kilo.

just had a look at the farm shop in wales where i used to buy my beef,

yerbeston welsh blacks,i see the price is still good compared to wagyu[1000bht] a kilo

so i am not going to treet myself,stick to nida makro 335bht kilo.

You can compare Wagyu prices at Villa Market. in January this year I bought a whole Wagyu fillet at about THB 5500/kg.They will trim it for you so you have no waste. I wanted to buy the trimmings at a reduced cost but was told that this is not possible as they return it to the supplier and get a full credit. To buy Wagyu Ribeye at THB 2999 is a very competitive price. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I believe Wagyu beef is the best beef in the world. I originates from Japan, often refered to it as "Kobe" beef. I have had the pleasure of tasting a Kobe beef in Osaka and it was the best beef ever! And by a large margin. It just melts in your mouth, wow!

At 2,990 baht/kilo and marbling 7 - 9, I think that's a good price. Not fantastic, but good. I prefer to buy a piece they call "Tomahawk". It's the ribeye with the bone. One piece is about 1,2 to 1,5 kg. Costs a bit less per kilo (1,300 baht/kg) and tastes super. I put it first on the grill than 15 min in the oven. Perfect!

In a previous life I did have cattle in the US and each year we penned and corn fed a yearling for slaughter. I have considered buying a calf here and penning it and feeding it but my reluctance of doing it is that it would end up a pet and want to spend the night sleeping in bed with me like my dogs do! No beef, just another cow in the bed!! Mail order Wagyu is looking good at any price!

In a previous life I did have cattle in the US and each year we penned and corn fed a yearling for slaughter. I have considered buying a calf here and penning it and feeding it but my reluctance of doing it is that it would end up a pet and want to spend the night sleeping in bed with me like my dogs do! No beef, just another cow in the bed!! Mail order Wagyu is looking good at any price!

i have a cow sleeping in my bed,after a while i got attached to it she's still here after 25yrs,but i like you love my dog,

come on moo-moo move over for for him.

I love beef, and I have tried many of the "premium" breeds. I love real Kobe beef even if it can't hold a candle to Matzusaka, and even Korean Hanu is better, in my opinion. Australian and American wagyu beef is the same as Kobe as far as breed goes, but the raising is not the same, so the taste and texture are different.

Kobe, Matsuzaka, Hanu, and Wagyu are all great, but for me, I like them Asian-style, that is, in thinner pieces and served sliced. All are very tender, but lacking a bit in "beefiness." They make pretty poor burgers.

For steaks, and I mean a big chunk of meat on the plate, I prefer Angus, either red or black. I have had Black Hereford, and the meat is supposed to be a bit lower in fat, but I still prefer the Angus.

I like my burgers, too, and Black Hereford is becoming popular at the high-end burger joints, the kind of places where you can specify the mix.

I am also quite fond of Argentine beef. I am not sure the breeds, but I like they way they raise the beef. If is not very tender, but the flavor packs the most punch.

Here in Thailand, I would take the wagyu for certain dishes, notably Asian dishes. In these dishes, 100 or 150 gr per person is probably enough. For a nice big steak, though, go with one of the other breeds.

cheesy.gif

For the Wagyu lover on a beer budget. http://www.surinwagyu.com/th/main/index.php Averages about 800 baht/kilo. Not bad for Thai raised beef.

maybe i will have to try this my cider budget should be able to stretch a bit further.

a few weeks ago i bought a package of beef from the pon-yang-kham co-op.

sirlion,rib eye,chuck and sirlion rump[looked like pinbone] about 10kilo's in total averaged out at 536bht a kilo.

i have tried all 4 cuts and its the best i have had in los.in fact the cheapest cut roasted well and was very tasty in a sandwich.

• Like 1

For the Wagyu lover on a beer budget. http://www.surinwagyu.com/th/main/index.php Averages about 800 baht/kilo. Not bad for Thai raised beef.

maybe i will have to try this my cider budget should be able to stretch a bit further.

a few weeks ago i bought a package of beef from the pon-yang-kham co-op.

sirlion,rib eye,chuck and sirlion rump[looked like pinbone] about 10kilo's in total averaged out at 536bht a kilo.

i have tried all 4 cuts and its the best i have had in los.in fact the cheapest cut roasted well and was very tasty in a sandwich.

had a look at their web.not much info,no price or a list of cuts available and in thai.

Have had kobe beef in Benihani restaraunt and its magnificent

Fat content is way to high in my opinion. Melts in the mouth yes because of the fat content. Makes me feel a bit queasy after a few pieces.

I believe Wagyu beef is the best beef in the world. I originates from Japan, often refered to it as "Kobe" beef. I have had the pleasure of tasting a Kobe beef in Osaka and it was the best beef ever! And by a large margin. It just melts in your mouth, wow!

Wagyu is not same as Kobe.

• 3 weeks later...
Have had kobe beef in Benihani restaraunt and its magnificent

Fat content is way to high in my opinion. Melts in the mouth yes because of the fat content. Makes me feel a bit queasy after a few pieces.

Wagyu is not same as Kobe.

Wagyu (和牛) only means literally translated Japanese cow or beef. I find it funny when they claim they have it in countries such as Australia or where ever. In Japan the term isn't as far as I recall used to describe a type of beef but rather to inform you the beef is produced in Japan.

So Kobe, Matzusaka and all other beef produced in Japan are all actually varieties of Wagyu. I am not sure what breed is actually used in each area under those names however.

Anyway that is off topic but amuses me that people who spend so much on beef don't even know what it is they are really eating. I suppose in the west marbled beef would be the way to describe it.

Although I agree that Matzusaka has the best I remember tasting.

Edited by anotheruser

1700bht a kilo.

Marbling is fat. Who in his right mind want to pay 6000 Baht/kg for fat ?

Buffalo fat is maybe 100Bht/kg