"Plasti Dip" your ride !

I have a facebook contact who uses this stuff, I'll try to find out.

Update I was told:

850bath for one can , if your wheels 15-16'' use 2 cans ,17-18'' use 3 cans[/size]

Christ at that price it is cheaper to have them powder coated.

To my knowledge you can't powder coat aluminium as it's not magnetic. Powder coating charges the metal first and uses electric charge to attract and hold the material..

Absolutely no problem to powdercoat alloy rims, infact it is very common to do so.

You can also powder coat wood if you so desire.

Edited by Spoonman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

850bath for one can , if your wheels 15-16'' use 2 cans ,17-18'' use 3 cans[/size]

To my knowledge you can't powder coat aluminium as it's not magnetic. Powder coating charges the metal first and uses electric charge to attract and hold the material..

Absolutely no problem to powdercoat alloy rims, infact it is very common to do so.

Really? Who does it? Never seen it before? Only painted or epoxied..

Really? Who does it? Never seen it before? Only painted or epoxied..

Any powder coating business can powder coat alloy, the powder is positively charged and the item is negatively grounded....... the powder "sticks" electrostatically and then gets baked in the oven.

If you want somewhere in Thailand I have had rims done at both PASS and PIAK.

http://www.qmpass.com/

http://www.piakrayongoffroad.com/en/index.php

And next week I'll be getting an alloy CRF 250 frame done at Pattaya Powder coating (Piak and PASS only do black....well they can do other colours but they do black 24/7 so I usually have my black items slipped into the line for free).

Edited by Spoonman

Duplicates seem to be popping up in other sections. As for Wood i can't see what powder coat does that todays advanced sprays can't do easier.I had a bike tank powder coated in black, but had to strip it and get it stove enamelled, looked all wrong.

Duplicates seem to be popping up in other sections. As for Wood i can't see what powder coat does that todays advanced sprays can't do easier.I had a bike tank powder coated in black, but had to strip it and get it stove enamelled, looked all wrong.

The tank would have looked horrible powder coated, good idea to have it stripped and painted.

As for wood, it would appear the process is directed at the laminated furniture market.

Designers also are facing markets with increasingly crowded competitive landscapes. Powder-coated wood provides design flexibility that can help a brand stand out from the crowd. Traditional wood finishes, such as high pressure laminate (HPL) or melamine have inherent design limitations that can result in more homogeneous designs.

For example, it can be difficult or impossible (not to mention expensive) to fully coat a tight interior radius.

This is no problem with powder coating, as the part is fully coated regardless of the location of the design detail.

There is no need to worry about edge banding or adhesion.

Powder coating also allows for custom edge profiles and curvilinear shapes with no edge banding to peel or crack.

“Another benefit of powder-coated wood is that it feels and sounds like wood,” Hansen says. “Wood powder-coated parts have a tactile advantage over many other artificial finishes such as laminates, melamine or thermofoil that can tend to feel synthetic or rough.”

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/powder-coating-wood-picking-up

Edited by Spoonman

Powdercoating seems like a good idea, however I'm 100% positive I won't keep my rims green, which is when PlastiDip comes in handy as it can be removed easily :)

Ofcourse Plastidip ain't very cheap, but at least it won't be permanent :)

Powdercoating seems like a good idea, however I'm 100% positive I won't keep my rims green, which is when PlastiDip comes in handy as it can be removed easily smile.png

Ofcourse Plastidip ain't very cheap, but at least it won't be permanent smile.png

This Plasti Dip spray could have a lot of uses. maybe the Porsches that use a front bra to stop stone chip could use when travelling.

I first saw Plasti Dip a few months ago on Youtube, I wondered whether it was available in Thailand. I saw a guy using an electric sprayer to coat a car, then other videos showed how it can be washed with a pressure washer and peeled off when you no longer want it.

I wanted to know the price because it seemed like it might work out a lot cheaper than wrapping, especially if you do it yourself.

Powdercoating seems like a good idea, however I'm 100% positive I won't keep my rims green, which is when PlastiDip comes in handy as it can be removed easily smile.png

Ofcourse Plastidip ain't very cheap, but at least it won't be permanent smile.png

This Plasti Dip spray could have a lot of uses. maybe the Porsches that use a front bra to stop stone chip could use when travelling.

Definitely the front bumper could take several coats to protect it from stone chips. It might work better than wrapping, as if the plastidip is marked it could easily be touched up. unlike wrapping which would require a re-wrap.

I first saw Plasti Dip a few months ago on Youtube, I wondered whether it was available in Thailand. I saw a guy using an electric sprayer to coat a car, then other videos showed how it can be washed with a pressure washer and peeled off when you no longer want it.

I wanted to know the price because it seemed like it might work out a lot cheaper than wrapping, especially if you do it yourself.

It's great stuff, I don't think you would want to do a whole car with it though! got mine from EBAY approx 800฿ plus delivery!!

Fair enough I do remember that it's electrostatically charged not magnetically and then coated but with rims this is the problem as there is no way to effectively control the cover and it requires a lot of clean up after the fact on unintended surfaces like the beads and lug seats which is why it isn't commonly done..

Fair enough I do remember that it's electrostatically charged not magnetically and then coated but with rims this is the problem as there is no way to effectively control the cover and it requires a lot of clean up after the fact on unintended surfaces like the beads and lug seats which is why it isn't commonly done..

Sorry but it is a very common to powdercoat alloy rims,maybe not in your group of friends where its all caviar and champagne but certainly down on the pleb level.

Edited by Spoonman

Sorry but it is a very common to powdercoat alloy rims,maybe not in your group of friends where its all caviar and champagne but certainly down on the pleb level.

Caviar and champagne?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Classic!! Most are epoxy coated not powder coated, a little bit less then caviar and champagne class whistling.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Be interesting to hear how long per wheel it takes to remove it.

Be interesting to hear how long per wheel it takes to remove it.

Based on youtube videos is should take no more than a few minutes, unless the wheel have lots of fine details and grooves. A gloss coat can be put on top of he plasitidip but that makes it longer to take off, as the plastic is not flexible anymore.

• 1 month later...

Giving serious consideration to doing my 99 VW GTI as a whole, the paint is tired and I'm fixing it up for short term use and then resale, think it is an easier option to wrapping and will have a better result in coverage of a poor paint finish that has the clear coat thinning.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Giving serious consideration to doing my 99 VW GTI as a whole, the paint is tired and I'm fixing it up for short term use and then resale, think it is an easier option to wrapping and will have a better result in coverage of a poor paint finish that has the clear coat thinning.

You want to do a whole car in Plasti tint? I'm thinking a wrap will be a lot cheaper!!

Well not here, and it's rather labor intensive, I can do both myself saving me a lot of money but still, I've weighed it but given the time to do it right and the cost of the materials versus the end result the Plasti-dip seems to be the best way to go for a similar result. My paint is trashed as the clear coat has deteriorated such that it will prevent good bonding from wrapping and it also shows through pretty badly when the wrap is applied.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear originally, the car is a 99 and I'm looking for a cheap work around an expensive paint job due to the need to take it down far enough as the clear coat is junk and the down time to have it done so after research the plasti-dip looks like a good option at this point.

You can get entire kits that come with everything required including the sprayer for around $250 dollars.. Just the wrap alone would be more then that and then the installation and potential frustration is the final determining factor, and to do it properly some parts need to be removed, prepped, thoroughly cleaned and then wrapped over the edges enough to prevent lifting.

Check it out.. https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?gclid=CJ-juMH3qbkCFcJj7AodI1AA9A

Edited by WarpSpeed

I just did my car today. It was a funny and easy material to work with. I just covered up the breaks. That's it. I put on four coats with Black Matte. The whole process took a few hours though. Quite happy with the result!

Wheel.jpg

No need to mask out any details. It comes of easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIaHVoDhB4U

smile.png

One thing to be conscious of if you do your rims, did you clean off the residual on the lug seats? If not, when the wheel gets hot it will soften the plasti-dip and the lugs will loosen as you have tightened them on top of what was once a seemingly hard material, you should clean off the seats to bare metal after plasti-dipping or painting too for that matter..

You want to do a whole car in Plasti tint? I'm thinking a wrap will be a lot cheaper!!

I don't think a quality wrap will be cheaper. And if someone keys a plastidip it should be easy to touch-up. You have to replace the whole sheet if someone keys a wrap. With a spare can on the stuff, touchups look to be easy to do.