This is a simple RIPP OFF- WDH customs

vivek130205

I asked a friend of mine to send a parcel to me from Seoul, south korea.

The actual and declared value were same its 60 dollars, now i get a notification from Thailand post for 2kg parcel which consists of some ginseng medicine and lip bam and weighs 2 kg.

I mean this parcel delivery charge is a hefty enough and thai customs want to charge duty on top of it , its so dam depressing and unbelievable, can i dispute this customs charge by any chance.

I really want suggestion because earlier i have imported goods from India worth over 2000 dollars without paying a penny so what this freaking charge is all bout, kindly guide folks...

Its just not Bout merely 600 bhat its about the rules and regulations followed, need some serious advice, i am ready to go to any extend to dispute this, even if takes me couple of months. Just is just... This is a simple rip off and i wont take it no matter what.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds like they want to charge you 30% customs. If you want the package pay it and get on with your life. I think that you were just lucky with the 2000 dollar shipment from India, you could have been legally "ripped off" for 18000 baht in duties.

• Like 2

How is this a "Rip Off"?

Almost every Country in the world charges Import Duty (and V.A.T. in most cases) on many categories of goods Imported into that Country.

Don't forget you are paying Import Duty on the value of the goods plus the Freight Charge by the way - again, that is standard practice worldwide.

You were somewhat unlucky that the package was stopped by Customs since it was apparently sent via ordinary Mail and I would guess 95% of items sent that way are never charged Duty but that's just the luck of the draw.

Patrick

• Like 1

How is this a "Rip Off"?

Almost every Country in the world charges Import Duty (and V.A.T. in most cases) on many categories of goods Imported into that Country.

Don't forget you are paying Import Duty on the value of the goods plus the Freight Charge by the way - again, that is standard practice worldwide.

You were somewhat unlucky that the package was stopped by Customs since it was apparently sent via ordinary Mail and I would guess 95% of items sent that way are never charged Duty but that's just the luck of the draw.

Patrick

Actually the vat is understandable, the high duty is protectionism and less understandable. It just means Thai business cant compete on the global market but that is something we all knew.

I have ordered loads of stuff and it usually is luck of the draw, now I am importing a side rack for a motorbike, its been send by DHL so I know I will be hit hard. Can't be helped I wanted the item its quality and not available here so I pay.

Whenever I have had anything sent from the Us via DHL or Fed EX I have ben hit with coustoms duty adn VAT. When I use USPS I have only been hit with VAT so far. I guess that it's the luck of the draw but so far DHL and FEd Ex have been loosers.

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of Ginseng and lip balm, Are you sure the true value isn't more than $60?

Sure its not over 60 dollars as i have to pay off my friend who is sending it across to me

How is this a "Rip Off"?

Patrick

I am pretty much aware of the way duties are calculate, there is a permissible value of goods wherein duties are not charge . In these items my duty should have been waived as its not in bulk and value declared is only 60 dollars.

Last year had to pay duties and vat for 32000 baht when i imported via fedex, post-181129-13739576975335_thumb.jpg that is okay because the cost was over 4000 dollars and custom duties were levied on it because it was for commercial purpose, however in this case the items are for personal use and not bulky or expensive.

How is this a "Rip Off"?

Patrick

I am pretty much aware of the way duties are calculate, there is a permissible value of goods wherein duties are not charge . In these items my duty should have been waived as its not in bulk and value declared is only 60 dollars.

Please provide a Link to the Thai Customs Department rule (or other Thai legislation) which stipulates the "permissible value of goods wherein duties are not charge", and the relevance that "the items are for personal use and not bulky or expensive" rolleyes.gif

You should also bear in mind that causing a fuss over this perfectly legal Import Duty / V.A.T. charge may open up a whole new range of problems if the Customs Department decide to play hard.

For example :

1) "Declared Value" of US $ 60.- ...... it seems they have accepted that for the time being but if provoked by an obstreperous Farang they could easily arrive at their own valuation, and charge you Duty etc. on that basis. You will have a lot more difficulty disputing that, believe me.

2) "Ginseng" and "Lip Balm" ..... neither Product identified more clearly, and there are obviously many possible derivatives etc.: Hmmmm - are these specific items approved for Import into Thailand by the Thai Food and Drug Administration? I'm not suggesting they are not of course but again a p'eed off Thai Customs Officer could decide to refer the question to that Thai Government Department. Again, lots of luck with that process.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone
  • Like 1

Whenever I have had anything sent from the Us via DHL or Fed EX I have ben hit with customs duty and VAT.

This is not Thailand specific. I have seen this in USA and in Singapore. If you use DHL, FedEx or UPS, they will enforce the custom duty, tax and also add their admin charge. Also, their packages are more likely to be inspected than anything sent through post offices (EMS or otherwise).

Finally received my parcel from lad phrao thailand post office, they say that packet was not opened by customs they just calculate on basis of the description, unfortunately my friend had mentioned medicined on parcel so duty percentage was 40 percent plus vat, so i understand the way it was calculated... Hmmm .. post-181129-13739754289494_thumb.jpg

Whenever I have had anything sent from the Us via DHL or Fed EX I have ben hit with coustoms duty adn VAT.  When I use USPS I have only been hit with VAT so far.  I guess that it's the luck of the draw but so far DHL and FEd Ex have been loosers.

I had something delivered from the US with fedex last week. 7% only. Which they only charged on the shipping and not the fairly expensive item for some reason.

Previous 5x shipments through usps, no tax.

I guess customs are busy chasing up some slightly larger and more lucrative imports right now :lol:

Trying bringing in defective Thai made products for repair without the original purchase receipts and shipping documents. I once abandoned jewelry with them after they levied unrealistic duty even when all products bear Thai markings. Pay or leave without.

Clearly marked - and I mean clearly marked - commercial samples and gifts are exempt from import duties. That applies to both the packaging and the airway-bill.

Don't hold back. The next time your friend sends you ginseng from Korea get them to wrap it up like a present and write you a little card in case the outer packaging gets opened by customs. Make sure the description / airway-bill states clearly that it is a gift.

If going by the commercial sample route then make that sure both the product and the outer packaging has got "SAMPLE - NOT FOR RESALE" plastered all over it, looking as official as possible. Make sure it is stated as such in the accompanying receipt too.

Edited by Trembly