Where to rent a condo in Bangkok 4K-6K

mjef

someone mentioned Phra Kanong. I would check this area out as I have heard many people finding low budget Apts in that area

That should be a good place. It's just a few BTS stations away from Asoke. I'll check it out.

Thanks

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I have a decent appartment on rama 9 road, lumpini condo, huay khwang, its right next to MRT, shopping malls and departmental stores. I would seriously advice you to increase your budget because if you rent a cheap apartment which may suit your budget, you would land up paying more at the end of every month, if you do your calculations properly as the transportation costs, traffic jams and time waisted while commuting will eventually sum up to be more than cost of a decent apartment rental near bts, srt or mrt.

You need to decide if your schedule in bkk is time bound and have a script schedule wherein you cant afford to waste time or if you have loads of time and energy for commuting.

Its again your personal description. I pay around 17 k for apartment and another 2km 4 electricity, pretty decent, value for money, friendly staff, neat and clean with gym, pool and sona. Have intercom, taxi on call, bike service, 10 baht shuttle to rama9 and thailand cultural centre stations. Have 711, coffee shop, basketball court and big garden downstairs.

Its pretty neat and tidy here and i am completely satisfied , the only this i dislike is that i am tied up in a contract for an year and deposited 45k , rest allz well.n

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They don't need to increase their budget. With the budget they have they can find perfectly liveable apartments in walking distance to the BTS (never mind the MRT) in prime areas.

Go a few stops away from the main areas and they can find an abundance of places that are pretty decent.

There will be no issue with traffic jams, transportation costs, time wasted etc as they'll be walking distance to the BTS then a small fee to Asoke.

You're paying 17k for what you can get for under 10k. Sure your apartment is probably more modern and nicer at 17k (at least I hope so!) but for someone on a budget who doesn't care too much about how glamorous the place is (yet still doesn't want to slum it) they can find places in the OPs budget.

I was under the impression it wasn't possible before I came here and expected to pay up to 15k then I spent 3 days looking at places all over town priced from 5k to 15k and honestly the more expensive places were really disappointing and most it seemed were just priced higher because they wanted to attract farangs who though that paying more meant a better apartment but hadn't actually looked at many apartments.

The most spacious place I saw was the 8k room and it had more facilities in the apartment complex than anywhere else even the 15k rooms (which were tiny)!

• Like 2

Hi there,

I have a decent appartment on rama 9 road, lumpini condo, huay khwang, its right next to MRT, shopping malls and departmental stores. I would seriously advice you to increase your budget because if you rent a cheap apartment which may suit your budget, you would land up paying more at the end of every month, if you do your calculations properly as the transportation costs, traffic jams and time waisted while commuting will eventually sum up to be more than cost of a decent apartment rental near bts, srt or mrt.

You need to decide if your schedule in bkk is time bound and have a script schedule wherein you cant afford to waste time or if you have loads of time and energy for commuting.

Its again your personal description. I pay around 17 k for apartment and another 2km 4 electricity, pretty decent, value for money, friendly staff, neat and clean with gym, pool and sona. Have intercom, taxi on call, bike service, 10 baht shuttle to rama9 and thailand cultural centre stations. Have 711, coffee shop, basketball court and big garden downstairs.

Its pretty neat and tidy here and i am completely satisfied , the only this i dislike is that i am tied up in a contract for an year and deposited 45k , rest allz well.n

They don't need to increase their budget. With the budget they have they can find perfectly liveable apartments in walking distance to the BTS (never mind the MRT) in prime areas.

Go a few stops away from the main areas and they can find an abundance of places that are pretty decent.

There will be no issue with traffic jams, transportation costs, time wasted etc as they'll be walking distance to the BTS then a small fee to Asoke.

You're paying 17k for what you can get for under 10k. Sure your apartment is probably more modern and nicer at 17k (at least I hope so!) but for someone on a budget who doesn't care too much about how glamorous the place is (yet still doesn't want to slum it) they can find places in the OPs budget.

I was under the impression it wasn't possible before I came here and expected to pay up to 15k then I spent 3 days looking at places all over town priced from 5k to 15k and honestly the more expensive places were really disappointing and most it seemed were just priced higher because they wanted to attract farangs who though that paying more meant a better apartment but hadn't actually looked at many apartments.

The most spacious place I saw was the 8k room and it had more facilities in the apartment complex than anywhere else even the 15k rooms (which were tiny)!

Point taken, i agree 100 percent, ur talking facts, i replied from my experience which may or may not be correct. Actually i have shop in jj mall jatuchak so its pretty convenient for me as its just 5 stations from here huay khang station.

This apartment comes along furnished with 2 ac, 1 bed, foldable sofa, led, microwave, almiras and modular kitchen , glass tables, shoe racks and modular storage. I strongly feel its value for money as we have just 25 percent foreigners here, thats my best guess. post-181129-13740904490404_thumb.jpgpost-181129-13740905071922_thumb.jpgpost-181129-13740905483268_thumb.jpgpost-181129-13740905856047_thumb.jpgpost-181129-13740906243329_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Point taken, i agree 100 percent, ur talking facts, i replied from my experience which may or may not be correct. Actually i have shop in jj mall jatuchak so its pretty convenient for me as its just 5 stations from here huay khang station.

This apartment comes along furnished with 2 ac, 1 bed, foldable sofa, led, microwave, almiras and modular kitchen , glass tables, shoe racks and modular storage. I strongly feel its value for money as we have just 25 percent foreigners here, thats my best guess. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090480.216349.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090538.516620.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090579.519960.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090616.875229.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090655.799817.jpg

Nice condo! thumbsup.gif Thanks for sharing the pictures.

• Like 1

Isn't there a huge surcharge for electricity at these cheap Apts? so if you use AC all the time your electric bill is more than your rent? This happened to me in Pattaya when I stayed in a 4500/month room for one month. My elec was 4500 for the month I stayed there

True, they usually charge 6-8 baht per unit, which can almost double the actual electric bill.

Same for water, but the water bill only comes to 100-200 baht per month, so don't worry about it.

Hi there,

This apartment comes along furnished with 2 ac, 1 bed, foldable sofa, led, microwave, almiras and modular kitchen , glass tables, shoe racks and modular storage. I strongly feel its value for money as we have just 25 percent foreigners here, thats my best guess. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090480.216349.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090538.516620.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090579.519960.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090616.875229.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1374090655.799817.jpg

I'm sure it's nice but most people don't need two ACs and shoe racks so hence why they can get nice places for much less.

Mines comes with all the essentials like aircon, sofa, fridge, coffee tables, desk and chairs, TV, wardrobe, balcony, bathroom obviously.

I don't need anything else. I don't plan to cook so kitchen not needed for me.

The OP will be just fine with their budget especially if they can stretch it to 7k.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Today my friend told me that he found a 30 sqm condo for me in Lat Phrao area which is very nice. He sent me some pictures and both the interior and the exterior look very eye catching. It also includes a gym and a pool. Electricity is also calculated based on the government price of only 3.7 baht/unit! And all of this at only 7500 THB/mo. Maybe we can get a discount too! The only downside is that it's 1.8km far from the MRT Suthisarn.

Now what I don't know anything about is the area. Have you been to/lived in that area? How safe is Lat Phrao? Is it clean? I don't think it's as lively as I wanted, but it seems like a good choice for me.

I would like to suggest that you come to Bangkok and stay in a hotel for a little while until you get familiar with the city. You can go out and walk the sois on Sukumvit. After looking at enough buildings and evaluating their facilities you can determine what's available that you can afford. It's no using going straight to a six-month or yearly rental since you may get stuck with a place that you don't like. A lot of the old Asia Hands hang out at the Foreign Correspondents' Club near Chitlom Station on the sky train. They can give a lot of accurate information about Bangkok. I once even had a person offer to have his wife look for a place for me. Of course that would have cost a (hidden) commission for her. Be very careful in Bangkok and check out things slowly and carefully before you commit any money. Good luck!

• Like 1

I would like to suggest that you come to Bangkok and stay in a hotel for a little while until you get familiar with the city. You can go out and walk the sois on Sukumvit. After looking at enough buildings and evaluating their facilities you can determine what's available that you can afford. It's no using going straight to a six-month or yearly rental since you may get stuck with a place that you don't like. A lot of the old Asia Hands hang out at the Foreign Correspondents' Club near Chitlom Station on the sky train. They can give a lot of accurate information about Bangkok. I once even had a person offer to have his wife look for a place for me. Of course that would have cost a (hidden) commission for her. Be very careful in Bangkok and check out things slowly and carefully before you commit any money. Good luck!

Well, that's exactly what I'm planning to do. I have booked a hotel for a week in late August to walk around and find a good condo. But Bangkok is a big city and there are things that are less visible at the first sight, like the type of the people who live in a place and safety of a place. You have to be living in the area for a long time to have seen those things. So what I'm trying to do is to get some help from the experienced people who live in Bangkok so that at least I can find a couple of areas to look for a place to live.

I marked quite a few condos to visit when I get there. Most of them are in the areas people have suggested in this thread. About these "Asia Hands" thing, I haven't heard of them. Who are they? Can I trust them?

Old Asia Hands are people who have been around Asia for a long time and tend to have in-depth knowledge of things Asian. Often they have lived in various Asian countries and can compare them for you. When you start to search for your condo in Bangkok, I think that you'll be surprised by some of the just so-so places that like to sell themselves as being four- or five-star residences at high prices. Be especially careful to avoid any place that does not have a fully adequate air-conditioner. You'll be miserable if you don't. One of my past mistakes was taking out a year-long lease on a nice-looking house that didn't have an air conditioner. This was back in 1983. I had thought that some large heavy-duty fans would be adequate since there were large windows all around the house. The fans weren't adequate and lots of insects managed to find their way through the screens, not to mention the 24-hour squawking of the free-range chickens all around the house. I tried to scare them off with a BB gun but they can't remember anything for very long so their fear vanishes after about 2-3 minutes and they just come back. At the end of the lease, I very happily moved into an apartment that I could close up tight and cool with an air-conditioner. The local Thais seemed to enjoy living in open-air houses but I sure didn't. Incidentally, it is a good idea to just spend some quiet time in any place that you're thinking of renting at various times of the day. That will make it possible to choose an apartment or condo that has an acceptable noise level. Some places are quite noisy and you don't notice the noise when you're doing a quick walkthrough. Getting a place that's too noisy will cut into your sleep. Good luck!

• Like 1

Old Asia Hands are people who have been around Asia for a long time and tend to have in-depth knowledge of things Asian. Often they have lived in various Asian countries and can compare them for you. When you start to search for your condo in Bangkok, I think that you'll be surprised by some of the just so-so places that like to sell themselves as being four- or five-star residences at high prices. Be especially careful to avoid any place that does not have a fully adequate air-conditioner. You'll be miserable if you don't. One of my past mistakes was taking out a year-long lease on a nice-looking house that didn't have an air conditioner. This was back in 1983. I had thought that some large heavy-duty fans would be adequate since there were large windows all around the house. The fans weren't adequate and lots of insects managed to find their way through the screens, not to mention the 24-hour squawking of the free-range chickens all around the house. I tried to scare them off with a BB gun but they can't remember anything for very long so their fear vanishes after about 2-3 minutes and they just come back. At the end of the lease, I very happily moved into an apartment that I could close up tight and cool with an air-conditioner. The local Thais seemed to enjoy living in open-air houses but I sure didn't. Incidentally, it is a good idea to just spend some quiet time in any place that you're thinking of renting at various times of the day. That will make it possible to choose an apartment or condo that has an acceptable noise level. Some places are quite noisy and you don't notice the noise when you're doing a quick walkthrough. Getting a place that's too noisy will cut into your sleep. Good luck!

Thanks for your comment.

Actually I have lived in a non air-conditioned room (my friend's house) for a few nights. So I do know how it is like and I will never make such a mistake! biggrin.png

Hey.

I'm in situation very similar to what mjef describes (looking to move to BKK late august or early September and stay in a studio/1br apartment for a year on ED visa while studying thai), I have overwintered in Pattaya twice before. This is kind of highjacking the thread but since there are recommendations to stretch the budget already I figure some questions on what one can get at different pricepoints would be relevant.

I expected to budget quite a bit more than OP for rent, the thought behind it being that since I will spend most of my time working at home, I might as well get a place that feels nice to be in. Seems to me that at sub-6k prices one will either have to compromise quite a bit or be nickel and dimed down the road - flaky building/away from public transport/ inflated electricity bills, take your pick. "Normal" places targeted at thais a la Lumpini Ville seem to gravitate toward 10k/month for a studio.

Is there any practical reason to look at 20k-ish apartments in what appears to be trendier buildings (Blocs 77, The room 62, Ideo Verve and the likes)? Do you get substantially better amenities at this price point? I wouldn't mind paying extra for a nice view, bigger pool and better gym, I do mind paying if it's the clueless farang and hip thai tax. Judging by the photos, those apartments seem quite small and tightly packed with furniture already and I need enough free space to set up a desk and a working chair at least.

I wouldn't mind paying extra for a nice view, bigger pool and better gym, I do mind paying if it's the clueless farang and hip thai tax. Judging by the photos, those apartments seem quite small and tightly packed with furniture already and I need enough free space to set up a desk and a working chair at least.

Now this is only my experience and it's limited but I looked at a fair few apartments over 3 days in various areas all close to the BTS priced from 5k to 20k and I found that many of the higher priced places whilst being newer and more modern weren't really anything special and were often quite small rather than being spacious. Some were literally just a box room with a bed and little more.

A lot of them were places aimed at farangs that I'd found online and it seemed to me they just tacked the price up because they had English websites and marketed towards the white man. The Thai girl I was with said no Thai would ever pay such prices for such small rooms.

We also looked at some places that weren't aimed at farangs and generally the higher priced places were a bit more spacious and more value for money, like I saw a lovely 2 roomed apartment with kitchen and all mod cons place in Ari for 13k but no one spoke English and I sensed it would be difficult to communicate with the staff should I need to get anything sorted. They even told the Thai I was with they were worried about it as a farang had never stayed there before.

In the end I settled for a place that is 8k all in including free WiFi. It's an older place, not super modern, but it has everything I need in the room and it's much more spacious than even many of the 15-20k places I looked at and more facilities in the complex too.

I'd rather have a spacious place to hang out in where I can do what I need to do online (like you I spend a lot of time in my apartment) even if it's slightly shabby than a super modern shoebox where I can't move and can only sit on my bed because there's no room for a desk and chairs (I have a desk and chairs and a sofa and coffee table) so I have options where to sit.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind paying extra for a nice view, bigger pool and better gym, I do mind paying if it's the clueless farang and hip thai tax. Judging by the photos, those apartments seem quite small and tightly packed with furniture already and I need enough free space to set up a desk and a working chair at least.

Now this is only my experience and it's limited but I looked at a fair few apartments over 3 days in various areas all close to the BTS priced from 5k to 20k and I found that many of the higher priced places whilst being newer and more modern weren't really anything special and were often quite small rather than being spacious. Some were literally just a box room with a bed and little more.

A lot of them were places aimed at farangs that I'd found online and it seemed to me they just tacked the price up because they had English websites and marketed towards the white man. The Thai girl I was with said no Thai would ever pay such prices for such small rooms.

We also looked at some places that weren't aimed at farangs and generally the higher priced places were a bit more spacious and more value for money, like I saw a lovely 2 roomed apartment with kitchen and all mod cons place in Ari for 13k but no one spoke English and I sensed it would be difficult to communicate with the staff should I need to get anything sorted. They even told the Thai I was with they were worried about it as a farang had never stayed there before.

In the end I settled for a place that is 8k all in including free WiFi. It's an older place, not super modern, but it has everything I need in the room and it's much more spacious than even many of the 15-20k places I looked at and more facilities in the complex too.

I'd rather have a spacious place to hang out in where I can do what I need to do online (like you I spend a lot of time in my apartment) even if it's slightly shabby than a super modern shoebox where I can't move and can only sit on my bed because there's no room for a desk and chairs (I have a desk and chairs and a sofa and coffee table) so I have options where to sit.

A little bit off-topic, but you mentioned that you searched for your apartment only three days. I have booked a hotel for 6 nights. Do you think it's enough to find a good condo? (considering that I have a Thai friend with me) If I find one, can I move in immediately or is there some paperwork and bureaucracy before I can move in?

Is there any practical reason to look at 20k-ish apartments in what appears to be trendier buildings (Blocs 77, The room 62, Ideo Verve and the likes)? Do you get substantially better amenities at this price point? I wouldn't mind paying extra for a nice view, bigger pool and better gym, I do mind paying if it's the clueless farang and hip thai tax. Judging by the photos, those apartments seem quite small and tightly packed with furniture already and I need enough free space to set up a desk and a working chair at least.

Absolutely there is . . . provided you don't end up in places like Ideo Verve which are just trendy, overpriced shoeboxes.

What I'm about to advise flies in the face of most of the advice I've heard but it worked very, very well for me.

Basically, don't waste time with agents focusing on Westerners.

The last time I was looking - 3 years ago - I wanted 1 or 2 beds, low floor, efficient air con, close to Asoke MRT/BTS and at least 90sqm. Pretty straightforward

I enlisted the help of a farang-oriented agent who took me to all the boring, high floor, compact and bijou apartments in the usual cardboard-walled condo buidings in or around Sukhumvit asking for 35 and 40K. I tried another couple of farang agents but they all had the same properties so I went off-plan and hooked up with a brother/sister Thai agent. They took me to some really interesting places all pretty much right under the nose of all those over-rated, high-rise moneypits.

I ended up in a spacious (bigger than I'd asked for) duplex literally over the road from the Asoke BTS/MRT, three 7-11s (and two Family Marts for when you need a bottle of Absolut Vodka at 4am w00t.gif) for a price that would have most people saying "No freakin' WAY" and I've been here 3 years.

This brother/sister Thai agent had the advantage of local knowledge not just local awareness. They spoke good English, were courteous and efficient (internet and phone all connected by the time I moved in).

Sure, they're not all going to be as sharp as those I used but it's worth giving a Thai agent a shot.

• Like 1

A little bit off-topic, but you mentioned that you searched for your apartment only three days. I have booked a hotel for 6 nights. Do you think it's enough to find a good condo? (considering that I have a Thai friend with me) If I find one, can I move in immediately or is there some paperwork and bureaucracy before I can move in?

Six days is fine. I did most of my searching in one day the 2 other days I just looked at places near where I was staying that I happened to see.

Especially if with a Thai friend who can navigate around and sort things out.

You can move in straight away if they have a room. I did anyway. They want you in there and paying them rent ASAP.

Absolutely there is . . . provided you don't end up in places like Ideo Verve which are just trendy, overpriced shoeboxes.

What I'm about to advise flies in the face of most of the advice I've heard but it worked very, very well for me.

The last time I was looking - 3 years ago - I wanted 1 or 2 beds, low floor, efficient air con, close to Asoke MRT/BTS and at least 90sqm. Pretty straightforward

I enlisted the help of a farang-oriented agent who took me to all the boring, high floor, compact and bijou apartments in the usual cardboard-walled condo buidings in or around Sukhumvit asking for 35 and 40K. I tried another couple of farang agents but they all had the same properties so I went off-plan and hooked up with a brother/sister Thai agent. They took me to some really interesting places all pretty much right under the nose of all those over-rated, high-rise moneypits.

I ended up in a spacious (bigger than I'd asked for) duplex literally over the road from the Asoke BTS/MRT, three 7-11s (and two Family Marts for when you need a bottle of Absolut Vodka at 4am w00t.gif width=18 alt=w00t.gif>) for a price that would have most people saying "No freakin' WAY" and I've been here 3 years.

This brother/sister Thai agent had the advantage of local knowledge not just local awareness. They spoke good English, were courteous and efficient (internet and phone all connected by the time I moved in).

Sure, they're not all going to be as sharp as those I used but it's worth giving a Thai agent a shot.

Why get an agent at all? Pound the pavement with a Thai friend and walk into any place you see.

I ended up in a spacious (bigger than I'd asked for) duplex literally over the road from the Asoke BTS/MRT, three 7-11s (and two Family Marts for when you need a bottle of Absolut Vodka at 4am w00t.gif width=18 alt=w00t.gif>) for a price that would have most people saying "No freakin' WAY" and I've been here 3 years.

Why get an agent at all? Pound the pavement with a Thai friend and walk into any place you see.

Why get an agent at all??!!

Seriously??!!

Ok straight off the top of my head . . . .

1. Too busy doing a job to "pound the pavement"

2. Don't fancy walking around in 38 degree heat

3. Need somewhere in a hurry and need the most options in the shortest timeframe

4. Sheer convenience?

I mean, it's not like you have to pay them, is it?

mjef: You can do as you like but I have often regretted it when I've made fast decisions about where to rent and what to buy. Invariably, I have found that there were cheaper and better places and things available if I'd taken my time and shopped around. The problem about deciding on the apartment or condo you want to rent quickly is that you will lose your security deposit and first month's rent if you want to change. There are things about buildings and locations that only become apparent with time. Probably some people can think faster and make their decisions quicker than me but I've suffered every time when I moved too quickly and that's even though I speak pretty decent Thai. Good luck in your apartment search!

Seriously??!!

3. Need somewhere in a hurry and need the most options in the shortest timeframe

4. Sheer convenience?

The fact that agents in BKK are notoriously useless makes it seem totally pointless to me. I mean you still have to go and look at them with the agent so why not just go looking yourself and cut out the useless middleman only after a commission who never listens to what you tell them and shows you places you have no interest in.

mjef: You can do as you like but I have often regretted it when I've made fast decisions about where to rent and what to buy. Invariably, I have found that there were cheaper and better places and things available if I'd taken my time and shopped around. The problem about deciding on the apartment or condo you want to rent quickly is that you will lose your security deposit and first month's rent if you want to change. There are things about buildings and locations that only become apparent with time. Probably some people can think faster and make their decisions quicker than me but I've suffered every time when I moved too quickly and that's even though I speak pretty decent Thai. Good luck in your apartment search!

Thing is until you are actually living there you're not going to see most of the issues that may be present so dwelling over whether to move in or not probably isn't going to help.

• Like 1

Ratchada soi 3 is pretty lively, but with a Thai local feel (not many westerners), despite it being close to Sukhumvit.

It has underground nearby and Central Plaza. You won't get a condo for that price, but an apartment, mansion, or palace = yes.

Please don't be confused by my terminology, or i should say, the Thai terminology (it serves as a grading system). For example, i previously stayed at Masutan Apartment, then Longsuk Mansion, the Srang Palace. These are all just rooms, like hotel rooms - just a single room with bathroom and balcony (furnished or unfurnished - they ain't The Ritz, nor do they have multiple rooms like you would imagine "an apartment" in the west). But Thais know, when you say, "i live at (something) Apartment, (something) Mansion, or (such n such) Palace", what kind of place you stay in (i.e rough price, size, type of building). That's why i say " Apartment, Mansion, Palace is sort of like a grading system or classification, but they are all quite similar. Not like a condo though which will be quite a large sky scraper building, with a pool, sauna, blah blah blah (and not 4k-6k)

You have to shop around cos there is no set standard of anything in Thailand. (one place will be new and nice and the other a dump, but both the same price)

I never stayed in Ratchada soi 3, but work near there and it seems nice, not too expensive and close to the underground. (it really doesn't matter where you stay, if you're near the skytrain or underground, you're near your work)

Phra Khanong (Sukhumvit Soi 71) used to be ok, but getting busier with westerners and a bit pricier. Maybe try Onut, Bang Chak, or further out (they still have skytrain)

Lad Prao soi 1 has underground and plenty of food and near a couple of malls, but i don't think much nightlife like Ratchada

I used to stay in Klong Toei (not dangerous cos i didn't stay near the infamous slum - which is where most people are talking about when they say "Klong Toei is dangerous"). But there isn't much there and i don't recommend it - we soon moved out.

Don't be confused when you see an address written and it says Klong Toei near the end of the address, before Bangkok (it's also a very large district covering most of the Sukhumvit/Wattana area). So, if you stay in the /Sukhumvit/Wattana area, you're address probably will say Klong Toei somewhere - it doesn't mean your are actually staying IN the smaller (apparently dangerous) Klong Toei area, with the infamous slum nearby. I mean, i stayed in Phra Khanong and my address still said Klong Toei.

So don't think too much about that when choosing a room.

Small rooms (which you can afford will usually do 3 month leases - which is a good idea in case you don't like it)

Condos usually start at 6 month leases, but often push for 12 months

Enjoy

Edited by ChrisB87
  • Like 1

Ratchada soi 3 is pretty lively, but with a Thai local feel (not many westerners), despite it being close to Sukhumvit.

It has underground nearby and Central Plaza. You won't get a condo for that price, but an apartment, mansion, or palace = yes.

Please don't be confused by my terminology, or i should say, the Thai terminology (it serves as a grading system). For example, i previously stayed at Masutan Apartment, then Longsuk Mansion, the Srang Palace. These are all just rooms, like hotel rooms - just a single room with bathroom and balcony (furnished or unfurnished - they ain't The Ritz, nor do they have multiple rooms like you would imagine "an apartment" in the west). But Thais know, when you say, "i live at (something) Apartment, (something) Mansion, or (such n such) Palace", what kind of place you stay in (i.e rough price, size, type of building). That's why i say " Apartment, Mansion, Palace is sort of like a grading system or classification, but they are all quite similar. Not like a condo though which will be quite a large sky scraper building, with a pool, sauna, blah blah blah (and not 4k-6k)

You have to shop around cos there is no set standard of anything in Thailand. (one place will be new and nice and the other a dump, but both the same price)

I never stayed in Ratchada soi 3, but work near there and it seems nice, not too expensive and close to the underground. (it really doesn't matter where you stay, if you're near the skytrain or underground, you're near your work)

Phra Khanong (Sukhumvit Soi 71) used to be ok, but getting busier with westerners and a bit pricier. Maybe try Onut, Bang Chak, or further out (they still have skytrain)

Lad Prao soi 1 has underground and plenty of food and near a couple of malls, but i don't think much nightlife like Ratchada

I used to stay in Klong Toei (not dangerous cos i didn't stay near the infamous slum - which is where most people are talking about when they say "Klong Toei is dangerous"). But there isn't much there and i don't recommend it - we soon moved out.

Don't be confused when you see an address written and it says Klong Toei near the end of the address, before Bangkok (it's also a very large district covering most of the Sukhumvit/Wattana area). So, if you stay in the /Sukhumvit/Wattana area, you're address probably will say Klong Toei somewhere - it doesn't mean your are actually staying IN the smaller (apparently dangerous) Klong Toei area, with the infamous slum nearby. I mean, i stayed in Phra Khanong and my address still said Klong Toei.

So don't think too much about that when choosing a room.

Small rooms (which you can afford will usually do 3 month leases - which is a good idea in case you don't like it)

Condos usually start at 6 month leases, but often push for 12 months

Enjoy

Thank you. That was a lot of useful information.

Actually I'm totally OK with a mostly Thai atmosphere. It might be even better for me since I'd like to practice my Thai language in real situations.

About the contract length I think 6 months would be good for me. I don't like the feel of temporary residents which most of my neighbors are on a short holiday and are willing to experience whatever they can't in their home countries!!! So I really do hope to find an OK (even though small no br) condo and I'm willing to pay 7K-8K if I have to. I found many condos in this price range on mrroomfinder.com. I just need to go there and have a look for myself.

Seriously??!!

4. Sheer convenience?

The fact that agents in BKK are notoriously useless makes it seem totally pointless to me. I mean you still have to go and look at them with the agent so why not just go looking yourself and cut out the useless middleman only after a commission who never listens to what you tell them and shows you places you have no interest in.

Ok well maybe useless agents have been your experience. As the anecdote I shared indicates, it's not been mine.

I got more than I wanted for less money - I don't see an issue here.

Yes, you have to look at them with the agent but the agent's already done the job of finding them in the first place.

This is where point number 2 is relevant since I, personally, don't want to traipse around Bangkok in the scorching sunshine (nor do most Thais come to think of it) asking about possible vacancies.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I finally arrived here and started looking around today. I searched for a nice condo/apartment that I can sit in and work/study 15 hours a day for less than 10k per month! Here are my first impressions:

I visited Victory Monument area and it feels more like busy rather than lively! I walked down many sois and asked about every apartment/condo. There are few places priced at less than Bt10000/month. Some of them are very old buildings which are not liveable considering my expectations and conditions. The rest are sold out. The point is that I categorize a Bt7000 condo in 10000+ class if they charge 8 bahts/unit for the electricity! I also visited Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower. It's awful for a person who is at home most of the time! A drab 30 sqm room for Bt8000/month and 7 THB/month for electricity! It's not even walkable close to the BTS station.

I also visited On Nut and Phra Kanong. It's obviously too trendy and pricy for my budget and too touristy for my taste. I didn't find the place lively enough; only few food/fruit stalls and everything was 2x overpriced. I found a few cheap places though (4k-6k). They were really dodgy!

Then a short visit to Lad Phrao. There are some buildings named Family Park in Lat Phrao 48. The good thing about this condo is that there are several condo types at different prices in the same building. It has a swimming pool and all the facilities that you might need like a microwave oven in the room, coin washing machines and laundry. The downside was the location. Not only it is very far from the BTS, but also the area is not lively at all!

Right now I'm staying at a hotel near Sutthisan MRT and I came across a newly built building on my way to hotel. Took a look at the condo and I can really call it home! It's small (30 sqm) and not cheap (10K). But I will pay the electricity and water bill directly without any commissions. It has a flat screen TV, free wifi, 24-hour security and key card. But above all this area is exactly what I was looking for. Pretty alive, not touristy (everything is written in Thai only!), clean and looking safe, not very busy and quiet late at night. Interestingly this condo by far was the best I came across and I had such a good feeling about it that I'm willing to pay the 10k/mo.

Now I have 5 more days to spend. My plan is to look around Huay Kwang and Ratchadaphisek and if I couldn't find anything better come back and get this one on Sunday. So what do you suggest? Can I find anything better for less than 10k in Huay Kwang or maybe somewhere else? Did I miss anything so far?

^^^^^

I also visited On Nut and Phra Kanong. It's obviously too trendy and pricy

No offence mate, but I think this is the first time and only time i will ever hear of both these places being referred to as too trendy and pricey, lets cut to the chase, they are both dumps, popular with the sex pats and their upcountry teeraks.

Lat Phrao 48 Not only it is very far from the BTS,

Jeez, how close do you want, its less than a kilo.

but also the area is not lively at all!

Please define, lively, there are farang who go all the way to the lower Suk ghetto, when everything they seek is right on their doorstep, you like them, dont know what you are looking at, not lively, you are havin a laugh.

My advice to you, stay where you are.