Bangkok Farmers Market @ K Village expanding to two event days now

bazmlb

We are expanding the Bangkok Farmers Market @ K Village event two days now. Saturday July 27th & Sunday July 28th. 8am til 4pm. Rain or Shine.

Locally Grown, Locally Made, Locally Crafted,
Organic Produce & Fruits, Eggs, Baked Goods,
Sustainable Seafood, Delicious Prepared Foods,
Artisans, Plants & Flowers
Organic Beauty, Eco-friendly, Healthy products.
Kids Activities, Mothers Area, Raw food demos,
Live Music, Organic gardening class,
Permaculture talk, & Much More!
Come support your local community!
Saturday Schedule
9am Gardening class
10:30am Permaculture Talk
12:30pm No Cook, Cooking Class
2:00pm Introduction to Paleo Diet
3:00pm Kaffir Lime Shampoo Making Class
There will be kids activities.
There will be live music.
Sunday Schedule
9:00am Meditation Class
10:30am Mobile Telephony unseen dangers & solutions
12:00pm Chinese Traditional Medicine & Health
2:00pm Yves Baron aka Le Tenor & Singing Lesson
There will be kids activities
There will be live music
july27-28-posterfinal.jpg
  • Like 2

I would not go as far as to call it a " farmers market " there isn't a real farmer among them,

what it is, it's a bunch of well meaning people with produces sourced from other places

and being sold there, some reasonably priced some way too expensive, nothing really

you can not buy at places like Vila, all in all, a nice way to kill couple of hours, but don't

expect much.

• Like 1

I would not go as far as to call it a " farmers market " there isn't a real farmer among them,

what it is, it's a bunch of well meaning people with produces sourced from other places

and being sold there, some reasonably priced some way too expensive, nothing really

you can not buy at places like Vila, all in all, a nice way to kill couple of hours, but don't

expect much.

I have to agree with your assessment. I went to the first "farmer's market" and found it to not what I expected. I'm from California, USA and usually our farmer's market have ... well ... farmers. Many produces from local farms as well as many good things to eat.

I saw more farangs selling their boutique (many organic) items at K-Villiage version.

expect much.

I have to agree with your assessment. I went to the first "farmer's market" and found it to not what I expected. I'm from California, USA and usually our farmer's market have ... well ... farmers. Many produces from local farms as well as many good things to eat.

I saw more farangs selling their boutique (many organic) items at K-Villiage version.

To be eligible to partcipate, one must make & sell their own products. There are many small farmers selling their own produce, I see them every month, there are virtually no resellers of other brands. Each vendor proactively takes pride & respect for the best quality that they can grow or make. The buzz is amazingly successful to see how many more people are interested in a healthy diet & nutrition, and interested to meet share, discuss or trade products & info on some of the best & freshest Organic, pesticide free, or as healthy as possible natural produce in town, and it's growing organicaly every month. When you buy big name brands in a big supermarket you are making some big plastic corporations richer, When you buy at the farmers market, you are getting better, fresher more wholesome product that supports farmers, families & small sincere businesses. And they are always donating to needy charities. Come down & check it out, the organisers have built an amazing & loyal following. You should be very pleasantly surprised and live much healthier. See you there!

Where do I get some information on requirements to participate? Our farm is in Sisaket so if we qualify as "local" I would like to understand the rules and the market size to make an informed decision on travelling down to show our farm grown and manufactured goods.

These events should be supported by those that wish to see more natural foods on their tables. Farm to table markets, albeit if there is a step in the middle, are the best opportunity small holding farmers trying to be self-sufficient and sustainably organic or natural producers have to earn a reasonable return on a maximum effort.

Ezzra and HidyHo, if what you wish to see at this event isn't there, perhaps you should give us a clue as to what you want? I for one would be more than happy to supply to any reasonable need.

TV Farmers, get behind this. It could be an opportunity to disperse logistics cost of attending such functions with a small amount and range of products.

Sorry I live well above the sea and grow fish for fertiliser and feed production not consumption. But since you ask, perhaps the polluted sort in the Bay of Thailand? I amsure you know the sort, the ones swimming amid the plastic bags and crap off Pattaya!

Sorry I live well above the sea and grow fish for fertiliser and feed production not consumption. But since you ask, perhaps the polluted sort in the Bay of Thailand? I amsure you know the sort, the ones swimming amid the plastic bags and crap off Pattaya!

wasnt directed at you IA but the OP. anyhow i think the ones swimming in the crap of pattaya are the most sustainable of all. no ones game to eat em and they have perfectly adapted and thriving in their environment.thumbsup.gif

wasnt directed at you IA but the OP. anyhow i think the ones swimming in the crap of pattaya are the most sustainable of all. no ones game to eat em and they have perfectly adapted and thriving in their environment.thumbsup.gif

No offence taken here RI. But I will say this, life here as a farmer is F'ing tough. The OP has my support as does the market in Bangkok. Mate I sell the best mushrooms around for 150 baht per kilo, a trip to Bangkok on a maybe I can sell some is close to 20% of my weekly production. Get real my friend, the people who sell what they produce at venues like this are happy to make ends meet. This is not about a "not important spend" of a few baht, this is about supporting a much lower level of agriculture employing individuals not CP corporates.

This is about giving the small player a change to flourish amid an environment where the corporates destroy any form of serious competition. That is Thailand and farming. So I am not offended at all, but unlike you I support the OP to the utmost. Viva La difference!

No offence taken here RI. But I will say this, life here as a farmer is F'ing tough. The OP has my support as does the market in Bangkok. Mate I sell the best mushrooms around for 150 baht per kilo, a trip to Bangkok on a maybe I can sell some is close to 20% of my weekly production. Get real my friend, the people who sell what they produce at venues like this are happy to make ends meet. This is not about a "not important spend" of a few baht, this is about supporting a much lower level of agriculture employing individuals not CP corporates.

This is about giving the small player a change to flourish amid an environment where the corporates destroy any form of serious competition. That is Thailand and farming. So I am not offended at all, but unlike you I support the OP to the utmost. Viva La difference!

i happily buy a major of what i eat from 7 a CP subsidiary. i am pleased that it is there and without it i would have to imbibe more thai culture than i would wish and would even say that i would be seriously reconsidering my residence if it and places like tesco lotus and tops etc werent available. but it is a difficult call between the chicken and egg so to speak because as you say "where the corporates destroy any form of serious competition." and i was also here b4 7 was omnipresent and have noticed the change when 7 comes into a new non 7 area.

but i also warily buy from the fresh markets where the small producers are often only once:)

would i go to the market if i was in bkk? no highly unlikely, i can get all that i need locally without having to travel to traffic congested places i dont fancy: sukhumvit.

Edited by requiredinfo

I'm a vendor myself at the market and I do know some of the other vendors as well.

Whereas my pans are not made by myself in the backyard, the market judged them as "artisan" and allowed them in. The food I sell at the market is from organic produce and the market organizers do check this.

Other examples:

Joe Sloane (former Chef at the Landmark Steak House) makes his sausages from pigs raised in organic farms in Sri Saket and Sri Racha. As for the farm in Sri Racha I know them myself and it is as organic as can be. Now the farmer himself is not a vendor there because chances to sell a live pig at a market are rather slim. The sausages made from the pigs, however, sell out like hot cake.

Then there is Raitong Farms, who are known for the CSA Munching Boxes. They grow organic rice and vegetables in their own farm and sell it at the market as well as through the munching boxes. Yes, the people at the market are not the farmers themselves but their Bangkok staff, but it is still the same company/operation behind it.

• Like 2

hmmm... which seafoods do you see as unsustainable?coffee1.gifw00t.giffacepalm.gif

You seem to be implying that there's no problem with sustaining seafoods ... but you are very wrong. Actually there are many species of fish that are on the verge of extension because of many decades of over harvesting.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

i happily buy a major of what i eat from 7 a CP subsidiary. i am pleased that it is there and without it i would have to imbibe more thai culture than i would wish and would even say that i would be seriously reconsidering my residence if it and places like tesco lotus and tops etc werent available. but it is a difficult call between the chicken and egg so to speak because as you say "where the corporates destroy any form of serious competition." and i was also here b4 7 was omnipresent and have noticed the change when 7 comes into a new non 7 area.

but i also warily buy from the fresh markets where the small producers are often only once:)

would i go to the market if i was in bkk? no highly unlikely, i can get all that i need locally without having to travel to traffic congested places i dont fancy: sukhumvit.

You obviously don't care if you consume synthetic agricultural chemicals and highly processed prepared foods ... and fair enough ... but you don't have to be so self righteous about it. Meanwhile there are many who seek pesticide-GMO-free food and more nutritious unrefined foods.

You obviously don't care if you consume synthetic agricultural chemicals and highly processed prepared foods ... and fair enough ... but you don't have to be so self righteous about it. Meanwhile there are many who seek pesticide-GMO-free food and more nutritious unrefined foods.

there are many who seek truth in advertising and non cloning and no fake substitution too but it aint going to happen in this country any time soon.