Melamine

cdmtdm

can anyone direct me to where i can buy white melamine material used mostly in Farang kitchens and also a lot of shelving etc , i want to make shleves inside my walk in pantry .. in the Udon / Nong Khai area if possible ....its about 20mm thick and lined both side

thanks

Can not point you to a specific shop.

Maybe it helps to have the word in Thai and adresses of suppliers/manufactures.

Melamine coated wood: ไม้เคลือบเมลามีน

With that you can google adresses like these:

English language site:

http://www.panelplus.co.th/products.php

You can change to Thai language, do a printout and maybe you can ask around with that.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have bought a fair amount of melamine/HPL from Formica of Thailand. The price is around 3,000THB for 20MM Grade A plywood bonded with HPL on both sides. One side will be color, the other 'sanded' HPL for gluing. They will also do 15MM plywood, or particle board in various sizes. Do a google search for Formica of Thailand, and they will probably direct you to a local home center where you can order.

I have bought a fair amount of melamine/HPL from Formica of Thailand. The price is around 3,000THB for 20MM Grade A plywood bonded with HPL on both sides. One side will be color, the other 'sanded' HPL for gluing. They will also do 15MM plywood, or particle board in various sizes. Do a google search for Formica of Thailand, and they will probably direct you to a local home center where you can order.

hi deckape , just checked out the website for formica here , the closest product i can see is compact grade laminate , is that what u are talking about ? what u described is what i want but does not appear on the product list , did u order outside of Bkk ?

thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my Formica from Thamtavee home center in Korat. If you call Formica's number they should be able to give you the closest distributor in your area. Have your partner call, you could possibly order direct from Formica and have it delivered to your home.

You're right, the website doesn't list the HPL- bonded to plywood as one of their products, but they do sell it that way. I was wrong, the price is closer to 4,000 THB-- pretty pricey, but it is first rate. If you wanted to save a few baht you can just buy the .8MM HPL alone. That's around 1,000 for 1.2M X 2.4M. Then you would buy whatever plywood you wanted and use contact cement to bond it yourself.

Compact grade laminate is a solid HPL product, 6MM and up. It is a great product, but probably not what you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what the OP is after is chipboard or MDF (most commonly chipboard) which has a very thin coating of Melamine on both sides. It generally comes in sheets 2440 x 1220 and 3660 x 1830, normally 16mm or 18mm thick.

I use lots of it for the carcasses of the kitchens I make, and also for fitted wardrobes. It's a basic essential for cabinet carcass making.

In Europe, you can get it in white, smooth finish (the cheapest) or a variety of colours / patterns (faux wood-grain for example, in a variety of types of wood). For my kitchens I tend to use Beige with a slightly wrinkle finish, which gives it a 'satin' appearance. I would have expected it to be fairly widely available in Thailand, as it is such a versatile and cheap material for cabinet work. In UK and Europe, it is normally sold at timber yards, and most of them will have the facility to cut it to your specified size. You can also get matching iron-on tape to cover and finish the cut edges.

So I would try a decent timber merchant - you'll probably find what you need there. Plywood is a much more expensive product, so I'd avoid that.

Edited by nisakiman

I think what the OP is after is chipboard or MDF (most commonly chipboard) which has a very thin coating of Melamine on both sides. It generally comes in sheets 2440 x 1220 and 3660 x 1830, normally 16mm or 18mm thick.

I use lots of it for the carcasses of the kitchens I make, and also for fitted wardrobes. It's a basic essential for cabinet carcass making.

In Europe, you can get it in white, smooth finish (the cheapest) or a variety of colours / patterns (faux wood-grain for example, in a variety of types of wood). For my kitchens I tend to use Beige with a slightly wrinkle finish, which gives it a 'satin' appearance. I would have expected it to be fairly widely available in Thailand, as it is such a versatile and cheap material for cabinet work. In UK and Europe, it is normally sold at timber yards, and most of them will have the facility to cut it to your specified size. You can also get matching iron-on tape to cover and finish the cut edges.

So I would try a decent timber merchant - you'll probably find what you need there. Plywood is a much more expensive product, so I'd avoid that.

thats exactly what i am after , no luck so far , i found one possible source in BKK but as i am in Isaan its to far ....Formica have a factory in Chaiyphun for export only ..if anyone has an idea i really need this stuff like now !!!

As far as I know, formica will transport for a fee to your local address. Here are the contact numbers. If you look on their site they have a downloadable catalog to show colours.

• Office
    216/63 L.P.N. Tower, 15th Floor

• Nanglinchee Road, Chongnonsee

• Yannawa, Bangkok 10120
    Thailand

Phone : 662 285-2900, 662 285-4470
    Fax: 662 285-2899

ex_map.jpg
    btu_office.png

• Factory
    51/27 Moo 2 Poochaosamingprai rd.
    Bangyapraek, Phrapradaeng
    Samutprakarn 10130
    Thailand

Phone : 662-755-8525
    Fax: 662-384-3721

Edited by carbine1125

I see lots of cheap and nasty furniture made from melamine (chests of drawers that fall apart within six months, that sort of thing), often comes as DIY flatpack, and I'm sure most of it comes from Asia. Try checking out a few cheap furniture stores, and if you see some items made from sheet melamine, ask where the factory is and trace it back to source.

Formica is another thing altogether, and is used for kitchen worktops, tabletops and that type of thing. It is much thicker than melamine, much tougher and much more expensive.