Dangers of drugs given with no warning of side effects....

pattayadingo

Recently saw the doctor and was given a new drug - Flunarizine 5 mg. 1 at night.

These came with no warning of how drowsy they can make you - and drowsiness can often be the side effect of some drugs. This drug label from the hospital did mention no alcohol though.

I took these over several nights and went out on the m/c this afternoon and very nearly had a serious accident with a Toyota pick-up truck. Luckily for me he was paying more attention than my doped up brain was.

You are not always aware of how drugs can be affecting you and how doped up you might be as this can creep up on you.

It was only after this near accident I looked up the drug on the internet and one warning is not to drive or operate machinery because the drug makes you drowsy.

The point being, check yourself on the internet for known side effects, it might prevent an accident or worse.

Something I intend to do in the future with any new drug prescribed.

• Like 2

There are many questionable practices in Thailand regarding medication. I suspect half the country cannot name the medication they take nor the potential side-effects.

If you are not Thai and were not speaking Thai, perhaps whoever gave you the medication felt they couldn't explain the side-effects to you.

There are many questionable practices in Thailand regarding medication. I suspect half the country cannot name the medication they take nor the potential side-effects.

If you are not Thai and were not speaking Thai, perhaps whoever gave you the medication felt they couldn't explain the side-effects to you.

The labels from Pattaya City Hospital are dual language. One side is Thai, the other side English.

Name, size, how much and when to take and - on these - an alcohol warning.

It is a personal responsibility to ensure one understands the risk/benefit of any medication.

There are no risk free medications.

Ask the doctor , pharmacist or check on the "net"

You are right about that every drug has a risk the heavier the drug the worst the side effects.

I feel that doctors should tell you, I am pretty handy in finding things out but different people react different to drugs.

I was going for nasal operation (burning away some skin inside to widen the passage with radio waves). I was given a local sedative and the Dr said it could increase my heart beat. Now I am no choir boy and have taken xtc and other drugs (and they never seem to affect me that much needed higher dosages as most) in the past that had an influence on my heartbeat.

And now that I am here totally drug free i sometimes do HIIT training basically sprinting full out jogging sprinting full out (do it on a rowing machine) That pushes my heart up to 175 or so quite high but even that did not come close to this in strength.

Nverr ever had i felt something like this I had the feeling my heart was going to explode. The doctor had never seen such a violent reaction and asked me why i closed my eyes and was breathing so deep. (mind you this was during surgery). I said i was not afraid but my heart was racing and I was trying to relax to get it down. I had to have 2 of those shots so when he went to go for my other nose tubular he gave me less and still the reaction was violent the surgery hurt but I did not care that was to be expected. But boy was I scared from those reactions.

Whenever they give me medicine here like antibiotics they never say anything about not drinking (i don't drink anyway) but I am amazed they don't mention it. Same with many of the other medicine they gave me to cure my nose I had to look them all up.

Back in the Netherlands even with the lightest stuff there was always a paper that you could read about possible side effects (i like to ride so i did). I think here in Thailand you need to do a lot more self exploration of things then in the west. In most things I think its a good thing but not everyone is smart enough to do this so id say for doctors its not a good thing.

• Like 1

^^^

And often here you get the medication in a clear plastic bag with no paper instructions on contra-indications, side effects and such.

So always worthwhile checking yourself.

I'd add that sometimes with drugs the side effects - like drowsiness - can creep up on you. Add to that the thought process changes because you are no longer as alert as you might normally be.

Anyway, if it gets some others to check out the side effects of drugs before taking them or it prevents one accident, it was worth making the post.

I find that Thai doctors are particularly prone to not discussing drug side effects. Pharmacists are a bit better but only if they are "real pharmacists (most people selling drugs are not) and only if you ask.

The "mai pen rai" philosophy that is part of Thailand's charm doesn't vanish in the medical sphere..it's just not so charming there.

Not wanting to unnecessarily "worry" the patient may also be part of it (cultural thing)

This means that it is especially important in Thailand to carefully research any medications you are taking.

If you purchase at a pharmacy, ask for the package insert, it is usually in English or Thai and English.

And use the web.

Also, if you have drug allergies, do not rely on either doctors or pharmacists to remember this let alone generalize it to similiar drugs.

• Like 2

I once went to buy some sleeping pills when I took a bus journey to Chiang Rai, knowing I would not sleep one minute. They were purple diamonds in a clear bag, I couldn't tell their name. They certainly worked. Not only did I sleep but I couldn't be woken. Then when I finally was, I was unable to walk and had to be helped off the bus. It then took me an hour and a half to walk 1 kilometre and I had to sleep for another entire day before I was okay again. On top of that it made me over stay my visa by one day. I am sure there are far worse stories.

I find that Thai doctors are particularly prone to not discussing drug side effects.

Had a similar incident. A doctor prescribed a drug and I specifically asked if it had any side effects and he curtly said no. Over two to three weeks I was experiencing some strange symptoms such as insomnia, dry mouth, nervousness and more. I was sure I had something seriously wrong with me. Then thought to look up the meds on the company web site. Somewhere around 20 side effects and more counter indicators and I must have experienced half of them. Lot more cautious now and be sure to have the pharmacy (hospital) pull out their meds book and let me look at what to expect.

• Like 1