Khon Kaen to CM and back

junglechef

Any suggested modes of transport for round trip from Khon Kaen to CM and back? A young woman would like to visit but only has a two or possibly three day weekend, is this is feasible? Overnight train perhaps? What you say?

Much Appreciated, JC

I was looking at KK to CM a few minutes ago, it's about 12 hours plus by bus

Correct because it goes through all the mountains Nam Nao through Lom Sak then Khao Khor on to Phitsanulok then up,it travels all the way across country first through some of the twisty scenic but deadly IMO roads there are.

• Like 1

Is there an overnight bus? Guess I should head to bus station too

I haven't done it for a few years so it's probably changed now, it used to be sombat tour and issan tour alternating so there was a bus every night. leaving around 7 or 8pm.

as already pointed out, it takes over 12 hours. and it can be scary at times. you wont arrive at the other end feeling very fresh.

Is there an overnight bus? Guess I should head to bus station too

I haven't done it for a few years so it's probably changed now, it used to be sombat tour and issan tour alternating so there was a bus every night. leaving around 7 or 8pm.

as already pointed out, it takes over 12 hours. and it can be scary at times. you wont arrive at the other end feeling very fresh.

Hi

Yes there is a bus and far better, IMO, than Sombat Tour and Issan Tour. Not as good as Nakonchaiair but still comfortable. It leaves either later afternoon or early evening from the New Terminal.

• Like 1

Yep JC

I was on that same bus u speak of-----i had to do yet another loas visa run and i refuse to use those buses from hell that go to UT

So as for the last few runs i have mastered the laos visa run and go from cm to kk to vt--a tad bit longer but well worth it IMO

Yep windy road indeed and thru the mountains but 2 hostesses--good-clean buses and certified thmbs up from me---

Phetprasert bus....they are the yellow buses at the new bus terminal--they have offices in the new and old stations--bus

Im gonna kick myself for giving this out as ive been the only farang on these buses--we even got to watch gladiator---maximus!

• Like 1

Correct because it goes through all the mountains Nam Nao through Lom Sak then Khao Khor on to Phitsanulok then up,it travels all the way across country first through some of the twisty scenic but deadly IMO roads there are.

Last time I drove that, 4 months ago, they were starting road widening works from Phitsanulok through Nam Nao, through Khao Kho to the Lom Sak intersection. May get a bit mucky if its raining and might end up with some delays.

Last time I drove that, 4 months ago, they were starting road widening works from Phitsanulok through Nam Nao, through Khao Kho to the Lom Sak intersection. May get a bit mucky if its raining and might end up with some delays.

Yes still ongoing,lots of heavy machinery but relatively few delays in fairness,this is going to be ongoing for a good while also.

Yep JC

I was on that same bus u speak of-----i had to do yet another loas visa run and i refuse to use those buses from hell that go to UT

So as for the last few runs i have mastered the laos visa run and go from cm to kk to vt--a tad bit longer but well worth it IMO

Yep windy road indeed and thru the mountains but 2 hostesses--good-clean buses and certified thmbs up from me---

Phetprasert bus....they are the yellow buses at the new bus terminal--they have offices in the new and old stations--bus

Im gonna kick myself for giving this out as ive been the only farang on these buses--we even got to watch gladiator---maximus!

Does that bus stop at Phitsanulok? I promised to meet somewhere there. If It doesn't I can see my flying too BKK then flying to CM.

It's a pity that Nok Air stopped the KK to CM route. I love Nok Air.

Yep JC

Does that bus stop at Phitsanulok? I promised to meet somewhere there. If It doesn't I can see my flying too BKK then flying to CM.

I believe it will stop in Phitsanulok,I've used it before and requested that I get off at Lom Sak,didn't pull into the bus station just abandoned me at the police box at the cross roads,easily done.

Departed KK at around 7.00 or 7.30 pm.

Yep JC

There is now another airline who fly KK to CM evening flight and not every day, seen the advertisement in KK airport 3 weeks back, very small plane but forget the name of the airline

Yep JC

There is now another airline who fly KK to CM evening flight and not every day, seen the advertisement in KK airport 3 weeks back, very small plane but forget the name of the airline

Just don't take no luggage with you.

They could indeed--as that was my only problem with them--they seem to make all the stops to pick up

and drop off---but then it seems its all thais on the bus and they live in those far off little places--

Can go to the bus station in either one and see the booth girls--they are very chatty--they will tell you..

Yep JC

• Like 1

Don't they fly to Udon instead now? That's not too far from KK.

No they're down to only 4 routes now, that's a shame. sad.png

I'm in Ubon, facing either a 6 hour trip to Udon to get a flight to CM, or flying to DM from here and changing to CM. Fine, no problem but for an area the size of Isaan the transport links are atrocious. The train service at least should be up to standard here, the land is flat enough they could improve the train service easily.

I will surmise that -- since they can fill up buses every half hour morning until night from Khon Kaen to Bangkok and there is only one VIP bus Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai each night at 7 pm -- that there really isn't that much demand amongst the resident Thai population to go from Khon Kaen or some other Isaan city over to CNX. They cannot start such routes just for the farang population and that seems to include flights as well.

If I were in Ubon wanting to go to CNX I would probably travel on the very comfortable Nakhon Chai Air bus ( I often buy 2 seats just to stretch out) then get a taxi from the NCA terminal at MoChit to Don Muang and get a flight to CNX from there.

Edited by JLCrab

It used to be hellish doing laos visa runs back in the day--esp since i had to go cm-UT

now i add the hour and do cm-kk-vt it is well worth it--just to glare at the ole CRACK-A-PON buses to UT

they were the worse hunks of metal on the highway---took me 19 hrs one time---5 break downs along the way

But now?. Ahhhh sweet victory--- the new bus station--new buses---i now get ample footroom, a nice movie thats

not blasting karaoke music or freezing like a meat locker---i get a blanket, juice,snack, water..and 2 hostesses!!!

I simply dope out and sleep--a little pillow DEF helps and if ur lucky can get the seat next to you---they show now

if u will be next to a dude or a cute thai pooying!!!!....The bus was clean, well run, and seemed to care about me!

Anyhoo ive said too much already--the only drawback is a few out of the way station stops to pick up/drop off locals

The cost was 621 bt...they have many runs from kk-cm now--even a 1030 pm one...i got the 730 there were many more