Air Asia V Bkk Air...Not a rant.

I normally only go to Bangkok for the day and BKK Air provide the service I need and have me home by tea time.

However I'm planning to spend a few days there and for the two of us in December the return Fare is around 16500 Baht.

So I checked out Air Asia and the total return fare for both of us including transfers from Samui is around 6500 Baht which is a pretty big saving.

Time is not a problem even though this way takes over half a day to get to Bangkok.

However, I see that there a number of weak links in the travel i.e. Road from Plai Lam to Lipa Noi/Ferry to Donsak/Road to Surat Apt/Flight delays etc/ and road from Dom Muang to the city.

I have never tried this route and wonder what the general experience is when routing this way, particularly when time is not of the essence.

Grateful your views.wai.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use to do the same route on Thai many years ago and many times. It works well, and don't worry about missed connections Air Asia will wait for the bus and the bus for the boat etc.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I'm doing this next week, BKK Air want 22,000 Baht return, Air Asia want 10,400 (2 adults & 1 lap infant).

The morning flight from Surat is too early even for the 1st ferry, so will go the evening before & stay in a Surat hotel.

So, with the hotel, ferry fares & fuel, it's still about a 10,000 Baht saving.

The car park at Surat is free.

I can't see the point in all the hassle of taking the plane from Suratthani airport when you can just take a comfortable bus directly to BKK.

Total travelling time for Suratthani/Nakorn Srithammarat air route is 6+ hours. Bus are 11 hours. There isn't really much difference. You're gonna need a day travelling anyway.

Paying extra to sleep overnigth in hotel is even more absurd. Just for the sake of being able to take a plane to BKK.

Bus will also be a whole lot cheaper than Air Asia/Nok Air.

Edited by Mole

I can't see the point in all the hassle of taking the plane from Suratthani airport when you can just take a comfortable bus directly to BKK.

Total travelling time for Suratthani/Nakorn Srithammarat air route is 6+ hours. Bus are 11 hours. There isn't really much difference. You're gonna need a day travelling anyway.

Paying extra to sleep overnigth in hotel is even more absurd. Just for the sake of being able to take a plane to BKK.

It's not a "whole lot cheaper". You might save 1000 baht taking the bus.

Travelling time from Samui - Surat Thani airport is nowhere near 6 hours. Don't be ridiculous.

The six hours is total travel time from Samui to BKK.

The bus VIP bus is 1100 inclusive transport to bus station and ferry.

That's half or more (depending on how cheap you manage to get on the plane tickets) what you'll have to pay for transport to ferry, ferry, bus to airport, plane.

• Like 1

Train.. yeah right, the sheer number of buses running, there's of course bound to be accidents. Like there's plane accidents or a train derailing up north...

I'm pretty sure statistically, the buses aren't really that much more dangerous than the other transportations.

Besides, you have to get on the bus from ferry to airport/train station anyway. And those buses are much older and in worse condition than the VIP buses.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

Train.. yeah right, the sheer number of buses running, there's of course bound to be accidents. Like there's plane accidents or a train derailing up north...

I'm pretty sure statistically, the buses aren't really that much more dangerous than the other transportations.

Besides, you have to get on the bus from ferry to airport/train station anyway. And those buses are much older and in worse condition than the VIP buses.

Statistically per kilometer - flying is the safest way to travel.

Statistically by volume of passengers - buses are the safest form of travel.

However, in Thailand, statistics mean diddly squat. Buses crash all of the time. Planes don't.

Also - airline passengers tend not to be robbed during their flight!

In Thailand, so that I have a better chance of seeing my next birthday, I would choose

Fly, Train, Car, Bus, Scooter - in that order.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Many thanks everyone for your replies. Lots of food for thought!

I think that I will give Air Asia a try. I think that one of the major weak links will be the ferry if the

weather is dodgy at that time of the year.

Statistically per kilometer - flying is the safest way to travel.

Statistically by volume of passengers - buses are the safest form of travel.

However, in Thailand, statistics mean diddly squat. Buses crash all of the time. Planes don't.

Also - airline passengers tend not to be robbed during their flight!

In Thailand, so that I have a better chance of seeing my next birthday, I would choose

I second that

Another bus accident in Saraburi, these crashes are just too frequent in Thailand, sadly and unfortunately. For me it's also preferred plane, my own car, train and somewhere way behind, bus.

Bus now right at the bottom of list.

22 people killed yesterday in a head on!

I'm even worried about the connecting bus from the ferry to Surat!

Here's one from last week in Surat Thani, 16 wounded and treated in Thaksin hospital in Surat Thani. I agree that road accidents happen everywhere in the world, also accidents that involve tour buses, but in Thailand the percentage of accidents just seems so ridiculously high.

Just found out, within the allowed editing time, that a Bangkok - Phang-Nga night bus crashed and flipped over in Prachuap Khiri Kan late last night. At least 20 injured. As reported by Richard Barrow on his Twitter account.

Enjoy your scenic Thai bus rides folks, a once in a life time event.

Edited by limbos

Here's one from last week in Surat Thani, 16 wounded and treated in Thaksin hospital in Surat Thani. I agree that road accidents happen everywhere in the world, also accidents that involve tour buses, but in Thailand the percentage of accidents just seems so ridiculously high.

Just found out, within the allowed editing time, that a Bangkok - Phang-Nga night bus crashed and flipped over in Prachuap Khiri Kan late last night. At least 20 injured. As reported by Richard Barrow on his Twitter account.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/655543-19-dead-in-thai-bus-smash-authorities/

+

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/655541-22-hurt-in-pranburi-bus-crash/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/655543-19-dead-in-thai-bus-smash-authorities/

+

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/655541-22-hurt-in-pranburi-bus-crash/

Very interesting if it related to flying from Samui or Surat to Bkk.

If you are suggesting the bus then you are a brave man for sure. Personally i'd rather use the train as an alternative. Its overnight and arrives in BKK at dawn. The only hassle is the length of time taken to transfer you from your location on Samui to the train station.

However, unless theres an emergency and you need to get to BKK double quick why not

1 Drive to Surat airport, park up and fly Air Asia

2 Drive to BKK. If you don't have satnav then borrow from someone.

Well i'm pretty sure you are wrong. However i have no statistical knowledge and you sound like you have none either so lets leave it as someones choice. Personally i'd rather walk than use the bus. Those guys tend to drive like they have a desperate personal need of the toilet and the next facilities are only to be found in Bangkok.

Aside of that, bus crashes are regular reading here in the papers. theres a hint there somewhere i reckon

I found this on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.260067814116788.58579.125635820893322

post-17753-0-19136400-1374644572_thumb.j

It says from January-September 2012 there were 46 accidents, 937 injuries and 74 deaths for buses.

However it does not state the sheer number of buses and trips and number of people travelled. So it's really up to you how to make up your mind.

Statistically I'm pretty sure the likelihood of dying one way or another isn't that much different. In the end the opinions are all in our heads. (Fortunately no accidents)

One could also argue that Thai bus drivers drive like madmen, blah blah blah. Accidents happen all the time everywhere. For example there was recently a fatal bus crash in Norway. Another report was a bus driver in Norway who drove the bus while texting with his other hand.

Just chose whatever mode of transportation which make you feel safe.

There are even people who are afraid of flying and no amount of convincing will make them fly...

I could for example show you pics of plane crashes....

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

No problem at all with your arguments at all Mole, it just seems that in Thailand bus crashes are more common than in the Western world countries. I for one will try to avoid long distance buses (especially night buses) in Thailand whenever possible. I did use them in the past and besides the safety aspect, I find them uncomfortable, trains are a lot more comfortable imho. And yes, trains have accidents as well, in Thailand and the rest of the world, but just not as much as buses.

But as you say, to each his own.

Edited by limbos
  • Like 2

I found this on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.260067814116788.58579.125635820893322

attachicon.gif58819_260067830783453_96469415_n.jpg

It says from January-September 2012 there were 46 accidents, 937 injuries and 74 deaths for buses.

However it does not state the sheer number of buses and trips and number of people travelled. So it's really up to you how to make up your mind.

Statistically I'm pretty sure the likelihood of dying one way or another isn't that much different. In the end the opinions are all in our heads. (Fortunately no accidents)

One could also argue that Thai bus drivers drive like madmen, blah blah blah. Accidents happen all the time everywhere. For example there was recently a fatal bus crash in Norway. Another report was a bus driver in Norway who drove the bus while texting with his other hand.

Just chose whatever mode of transportation which make you feel safe.

There are even people who are afraid of flying and no amount of convincing will make them fly...

I could for example show you pics of plane crashes....

What it doesn't say, is that from January to September 2012 there were no crashes, no injuries & no deaths..... from travelling by air... or rail.... You must work in the bus travel industry!!

• Like 1