Copy of Schindler's list up for sale on eBay

webfact

Copy of Schindler's list up for sale on eBay

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — An original copy of the list of Jews Oskar Schindler saved from the Holocaust is up for sale on eBay, with the starting bid set at $3 million dollars, a Los Angeles auctioneer said Friday.

The 14-page typewritten list, bearing the names of 801 men, originated with the German industrialist's right-hand man Itzhak Stern, Gary Zimet of momentsintime.com told AFP.

"Stern's nephew (in Israel) sold it roughly three years ago to the current owner, who bought it as an investment," said Zimet, who declined to give details about the seller.

He added: "I don't anticipate any bidders until the last day -- or probably the last five or 10 minutes."

Zimet and his partner Eric Gazin, who listed the document on his gazinauctions eBay page, opted to use the popular Internet auction site because of its global reach.

"This exceedingly rare original Schindler's List is the only one ever on the market," the eBay listing states. Others are in museums in Israel and the United States.

The auction is set to end on July 28 at 6:00 pm Los Angeles time (July 29 0100 GMT). Interested bidders are asked to provide information so they can be pre-screened.

Schindler is credited with saving the lives of some 1,200 Jews employed in his factories during World War II. He died in anonymity in Germany in 1974 at the age of 66.

His story was the focal point of film director Steven Spielberg's Oscar-winning epic "Schindler's List" in 1993.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-07-20

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the Ebay page:

Itzhak Stern typed up the 14 page list on onion skin paper. Up for auction is not a copy of that list, but the actual one. It was sold by Itzhak Stern's nephew to the current owner. It is dated in pencil on the first page, April 18, 1945.

• Like 1

Ebay is NOT an auction site. I think they would even admit it themselves. It ceased to be an auction site years ago. It's a for-sale site, plain and simple. Someone who wants the list (or any item) simply puts a secret high price on it, and other bidders can bid until they're blue in the face, but none of their bids will register. Highly frustrating. I don't try using Ebay any more, except for direct sales, because that's essentially what it's become. Perhaps someone reading this will formulate an actual online auction site - and place it on the internet.

Also: what happened to a Thai version of Ebay? Answer: essentially nothing, except a few retail direct sales items. Why? (you may ask) because, (think about it): do Thai folks trust each other, buyer and seller, to be responsible? In other words, does a buyer trust the seller to send the item if it's been paid for in advance? Alternatively, does the seller trust the buyer to send money, after the product has been shipped? I'll let you can answer that.

Opening bid must be 93 Million Baht........try explaining that to a Thai.

What has being Thai to do with it?

Try to explain that to anyone who isn't a fanatic Spielberg fan.

Edited by antfish

Ebay is NOT an auction site. I think they would even admit it themselves. It ceased to be an auction site years ago. It's a for-sale site, plain and simple. Someone who wants the list (or any item) simply puts a secret high price on it, and other bidders can bid until they're blue in the face, but none of their bids will register. Highly frustrating. I don't try using Ebay any more, except for direct sales, because that's essentially what it's become. Perhaps someone reading this will formulate an actual online auction site - and place it on the internet.

Also: what happened to a Thai version of Ebay? Answer: essentially nothing, except a few retail direct sales items. Why? (you may ask) because, (think about it): do Thai folks trust each other, buyer and seller, to be responsible? In other words, does a buyer trust the seller to send the item if it's been paid for in advance? Alternatively, does the seller trust the buyer to send money, after the product has been shipped? I'll let you can answer that.

Ok i'm answering your last line: You are required to pay for your item on Ebay,before the Seller sends on the item.Only an idiot would Post/Ship an item that has not been paid for!

a lot of people were making money with selling original copies from Thailand on ebay.

Ok i'm answering your last line: You are required to pay for your item on Ebay,before the Seller sends on the item.Only an idiot would Post/Ship an item that has not been paid for!

And you are always protected by the automatic "Buyer's Protection" . You don't receive it and ebay refunds your money.

Its them who try to take it back from the seller not you!

ok, this is simple.

The one on ebay is the original. Go to ebay download the graphic for each page (it's all there), print it all off. You now have a copy of the original....free. Or! Throw some onion juice on each page (better still print it on onion skin paper!), leave it in the sun a couple of days, stick it in the draw for 10 years then sell it as an original copy for 2 million dollars smile.png

Edited by GentlemanJim

Looks like a fake.

Since they used German typewriters you find on top of every page "mannliche Haftlinge" which should actually read "männliche Häftlinge"

There's not a single name with vowels like ä, ö, ü or a diphthong like äu and a consonant that was used for quite a few words that time like ß (equivalent to ss).

Looks like a fake.

Since they used German typewriters you find on top of every page "mannliche Haftlinge" which should actually read "männliche Häftlinge"

There's not a single name with vowels like ä, ö, ü or a diphthong like äu and a consonant that was used for quite a few words that time like ß (equivalent to ss).

After looking through the names I found at least 7 names and 1 occupation that are wrong due to the missing consonants. Sure there're more than that. I just flew over it.

Like Backer should be Bäcker (baker)

Konig... should be König... (oe)

and so many more. At it's best this is the movie script of the names.

Looks like a fake.

Maybe the local office depot store was out of German typewriters with the Umläuts or they bought a Polish one because they were on sale for very good price.

ok, this is simple.

The one on ebay is the original. Go to ebay download the graphic for each page (it's all there), print it all off. You now have a copy of the original....free. Or! Throw some onion juice on each page (better still print it on onion skin paper!), leave it in the sun a couple of days, stick it in the draw for 10 years then sell it as an original copy for 2 million dollars smile.png

you can probably buy an old typewriter and also old paper from that time on ebay for cheap.

Looks like a fake.

Maybe the local office depot store was out of German typewriters with the Umläuts or they bought a Polish one because they were on sale for very good price.

NO! If that were so then they would have used ae for ä, oe for ö, ue for ü etc.. or they would have been corrected with a pencil or pen.

This is all a hoax

This list would have never been approved. I don't even think that this was a real happening at all. Just a movie mania.

Edited by wealth

Looks like a fake.

After looking through the names I found at least 7 names and 1 occupation that are wrong due to the missing consonants. Sure there're more than that. I just flew over it.

Like Backer should be Bäcker (baker)

Konig... should be König... (oe)

and so many more. At it's best this is the movie script of the names.

Well, If he can pull 3 million $ for a fake list, my hat's off for the seller.

Dear CNN, there's no Halina Silber as number 16 on that list. Do you check what you spread around?

The name on the list is Weil Naftali.

So what is right and what is wrong?

Seems as if CNN doesn't like the truth and suppress the post as here avove.

The German businessman became a Nazi and operated enamel factories in Poland, producing pots and pans using forced Jewish laborers during World War II.

Wrong!

Halina Silber, a Holocaust survivor living in Baltimore, Maryland, says she is "surprised that this is floating around and that it has such a value."

Silber was number 16 on one of Schindler's List containing women.

... haven't seen a list with that name yet.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/19/us/new-york-schindler-auction/index.html#comment-970606905 check it out - don't believe me.

Edited by wealth

So, in your conspiratorial world, your source is your comment that you made on the CNN website?

It's quite interesting, but please exercise care in your posts on this forum.

So, in your conspiratorial world, your source is your comment that you made on the CNN website?

It's quite interesting, but please exercise care in your posts on this forum.

comment is back again and I stand corrected to a part the it was a said woman list. i'd love to see a list of that too.

Still, there're to many faults in German language. The version in the Australian Library are authentic in names but still has many little spelling issues that would have never been approved by the hypocritical camp leaders.

The version on E-bay is complete garbage with probably hundreds of mistakes.

In the Australian Library version they use the consonants more often while at the E bay version non is used at all. - Impossible.

Someone tries to trick the Shoa resource and research center, that's all.

Please exercise care in calling the list a fake. I am assuming like a lot of lists, there may have been more than one. Questioning the authenticity of a document is one thing, but declaring it a fake or a forgery is quite different.

I think from our position on this forum, we don't have the ability to do that. Someone somewhere else may, however.

Please exercise care in calling the list a fake. I am assuming like a lot of lists, there may have been more than one. Questioning the authenticity of a document is one thing, but declaring it a fake or a forgery is quite different.

I think from our position on this forum, we don't have the ability to do that. Someone somewhere else may, however.

Wealth at least puts up a reasonable argument as to why the list may be fake. Nobody has countered the issue of the language. Why does he have to exercise care in calling the list fake. Surely the opinion any person would arrive at is that the document if either genuine or fake? With a 3 million minimum price tag I would much rather urge people to caution by declaring the document genuine. The whole issue of selling it on ebay starts the suspicion, but I guess that's where the wealthy uneducated may hang out. I am sure Sotheby's would have reached a global audience interested in this type of memorabilia, and they would have determined it's authenticity.

He has what I consider a valid point, or question, about the list, that is why the post is allowed to remain.

Calling something a fake can be construed as a legal issue and that is beyond the scope of this thread and this forum.

He has what I consider a valid point, or question, about the list, that is why the post is allowed to remain.

Calling something a fake can be construed as a legal issue and that is beyond the scope of this thread and this forum.

That's cool Scott. I am not commenting on anything to do with the function of moderation, that's your train set. I am replying to comments that you have made that are engaging the subject matter. Why when someone puts forward a perfectly reasonable argument are they labeled with 'So, in your conspiratorial world'. I don't think that fair or necessary. The argument is valid and so far nobody has countered it. The only proof being offered by the sellers is an affidavit by those in the selling chain. Wouldn't a certificate of authenticity by a renowned academic institute be better?

• Like 2