Last Minute trip with 2 dogs to U.S. and back

I've been poring over the pinned thread and others related to import/export pets, and just have a few questions. Actually, I think I just need to be reassured more than anything else smile.png

We are leaving for the U.S. on August 10 and will be there for about 5 months, returning around the New Year. The original plan was for a friend to watch our two smallish dogs (poodle mixes, one 6kg and the other 8kg) while we were gone. But that fell through unexpectedly just yesterday, so I've been scrambling to find another option. And it looks like bringing them with us will be the best.

I called the airline and they have room for both dogs (they'll be traveling in the cargo hold as excess baggage). They said I needed to confirm things with Animal Quarantine here, but of course, Animal Quarantine was already closed for the long weekend before I was able to get a hold of anyone there. So my next steps are to call that airline back to confirm that I will be able to leave with the dogs-- is it alright if I just call and do that? Even though I haven't actually spoken with anyone at AQS? Once I confirm with the airline, they need a couple days to line everything up as well, so I wanted to do that today so I didn't lose time over the long weekend with them, too.

Aside from confirming the dogs on the plane, I am still a little unclear about the paperwork process, and would appreciate if someone could quickly confirm that I'm not leaving anything out...

1) Will take the two dogs in this morning to get them up to date on all of their shots. They aren't due until October, but I understand that they need the rabies for sure to be done before they go, right?

2) Form 1/1 and other documentation needs to get approved by AQS before we leave. Is it better if I take everything over there myself? Or worth a try to do things over email/fax? I'm planning to prepare my ID, the rabies/vaccine paperwork, a brief information page about the dogs, the airline itinerary, and form 1/1-- am I missing anything?

3) I am a bit confused about the health certificate-- is this something the AQS vet does?

Thanks!

Edited by Niranut

You need an export license and health certificate from animal quarantine. For this you have to bring the dogs along with proof of rabies vaccination. It may take as much as 3-4 hours if they are busy so plan accordingly. (If they are not busy you could be done in an hour).

When you book with the airlines for bringing the dogs they may ask for the health certificate number, that is the only glitch with calling airline before going to AQS. Just tell them that you will be getting it on X day but want to be sure to reserve a spot sand that you will show the certificate at the time of check in. Some less experienced airline people will claim they cannot make the reservation without the number but in fact they can (I go through this all the time as I regularly travel with a pet).

The US requires that the rabies vaccine have been given in the past 30 days. Beyond that some states have their own specific requirements so best research that specifically. On the while the US is an easy place to import pets into.

The airlines will have requiremsents regarding the cage the pets are in, get that from the airline.

Thanks, Sheryl.

I went ahead and called the airline (we're flying on Korean) this afternoon and they just asked if I had been in touch with AQS, but didn't ask for a number or anything. So the dogs' reservations are all set with the airline. The only bit of confusion was that I listed the breed as "mixed breed" and they wanted to know what it was mixed with. Technically they are some sort of poddle mix, but I wanted to keep it generic for declaration purposes.

Dogs got their vaccinations today and the vet said it can take up to a week to prepare the proof of rabies document, as it is done at the main branch (while I use the smaller branch near my house). But it sounds like I should still have plenty of time to finish up everything before the 10th.

Once I get the rabies document, I should have everything I need to go to AQS, and will plan on a half day or so to get it all sorted there (but hope for less). For the timing of the AQS check, can I do that anytime before I leave? I've seen a few mentions of getting the AQS check "within 3 days of departure" and wasn't sure if that meant check at least 3 days (or more) before you leave OR check 3 days (or less) before you leave...

And this USDA site has links to the requirements for each individual state-- Illinois requires proof of rabies vaccination and a vet inspection report, both within the last 30 days. So it looks like I can use the AQS health inspection form and the rabies documenation from my vet.

Will update as I work through the process.

AQS wants you to come not more than 3 days before the day of departure, though if they are not busy they will accomodate you 4-5 days before (but you risk being sent home & told to come back). When they get busy they give priority to whomever is leaving soonest.

Note that they close for an hour for lunch and then at I think 4 PM. And are closed on all government holidays