Alternative to AIS dongle, in Chiang Mai

mikemac

There is no unlimited data as such. For 900 baht you get 5GB of data via 3G and then it slows down to the kind of speed that you describe.

You can pay 100 baht more to get another 2GB @3G speeds.

Have you actually got a USB modem capable of 3G access on the 900MHz/2100MHz spectrum? Does it say that it is connected to UMTS/HSPA on the connection software?

So, how about we begin with the model number of your modem.

Since you live near AIS, why don't you go in to their office with the equipment and see if it works there?

I used AIS in the past and it was very good service. I am about 7 kilometers South of town and kilometers away from the tower.

There can be many reasons why it is not working. In my experience in Chiang Mai, when I had a problem they sent an "engineer" to my house to test things. This happened on more than one occasion.

Edited by hml367

1) 3G is slow to start, and yes, after 5GB, it will auto-downgrade to Egde or similar speeds

2) 3G should only ever be used as back-up to .... anything :)

3) You rent a condo - get broadband installed with owner's permission. Result? About 100 times quicker.

4) If you can't do that, use wi-fi. Round your area there will loads of competing wi-fi services.

I don't know who advised you to use 3G as your primary Internet connection, because its expensive and "Internet of last resort".

Since you live near AIS, why don't you go in to their office with the equipment and see if it works there?

I used AIS in the past and it was very good service. I am about 7 kilometers South of town and kilometers away from the tower.

There can be many reasons why it is not working. In my experience in Chiang Mai, when I had a problem they sent an "engineer" to my house to test things. This happened on more than one occasion.

Its a 3G dongle. You don't need an engineer to test it. Its just slow.

My AIS 2100 3G on my phone south of Chiang Mai and some kilometers from a tower.

At this same location when I used an AIS dongle in the past I received better speeds than my phones. I also used an AIS WiFi router in the past and was getting very good speed.

My friend is using the same AIS dongle now inside Chiang Mai and is getting good speeds.

That is my experiences.

It's free and, according the op close, I don't see that a trip to AIS can hurt.

I agree hard-wired connections are better - that is why I changed. The op may have a reason to use a dongle.

I don't know why it has the True 4G banner unless it is an advertisement. My phone is not 4G and I have AIS service.post-402-0-30739800-1374466479_thumb.jpgpost-402-0-30739800-1374466479_thumb.jpgpost-402-0-30739800-1374466479_thumb.jpg

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Have you tried using a USB extension cord and placing the dongle outside (e.g. balcony) or in different positions in the room?

This solved a similar problem I had with AIS 3G, and I'm now happy with the connection - which is very reliable.

Good luck with this.

• Like 1

One reason for going to AIS if you are close is that if the settings are not correct in the dongle it can affect the signal you receive, among other things.

As jko posted, the placement can also make a difference. When I was using AIS 3G exclusively, a difference of about 3 feet on my desk made a difference.

As I posted, if you are close by, it is free and shouldn't be hard to do.

There is no unlimited data as such. For 900 baht you get 5GB of data via 3G and then it slows down to the kind of speed that you describe.

You can pay 100 baht more to get another 2GB @3G speeds.

Have you actually got a USB modem capable of 3G access on the 900MHz/2100MHz spectrum? Does it say that it is connected to UMTS/HSPA on the connection software?

So, how about we begin with the model number of your modem.

Nice tone.

• Like 1

Are we able to delete posts? I can only find controls to edit. So this here is the undeleted, but modified, copy of my other post, which appeared twice. Which was probably two times too many.

Edited by aboctok

Sorry about the delay responding, wife having baby has taken over for now.

The dongle / thumb drive I use is about 2 years old, bought it from Pantip in Chiang Mai.

Does not seem to matter where I go with it, even out on the balcony in sight of the tower, it it still slow. Perhaps I need to upgrade to a newer one. Or one of the wireless ones that can run about 5 computers at once.

The condo we live in has wi-fi, you pay a monthly fee to use it, not sure of the name of the company but is well known, all over Thailand. That is another option.

The money we pay up-front each month is for a month of unlimited data use, not 5gb, and it runs slow even when I first recharge it.

We are renting at the moment but thinking about buying a condo here, will be able to look at getting broadband installed but until now the dongle has been handy because it's portable.

Thanks for the responses and advice.

3BB is the best internet service I have found in CM. Same price you're paying for the "dongle" (such an obscene sounding term) but no comparison. I had the AIS dongle service for a year or so, and could never watch any sort of video without it continuously spooling. If you can't get this service in your building, I guess you need to go find some wi-fi, or move into one of the many buildings that include fast internet service for free in the rent.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

• Like 1

Sorry about the delay responding, wife having baby has taken over for now.

The dongle / thumb drive I use is about 2 years old, bought it from Pantip in Chiang Mai.

Does not seem to matter where I go with it, even out on the balcony in sight of the tower, it it still slow. Perhaps I need to upgrade to a newer one. Or one of the wireless ones that can run about 5 computers at once.

The condo we live in has wi-fi, you pay a monthly fee to use it, not sure of the name of the company but is well known, all over Thailand. That is another option.

The money we pay up-front each month is for a month of unlimited data use, not 5gb, and it runs slow even when I first recharge it.

We are renting at the moment but thinking about buying a condo here, will be able to look at getting broadband installed but until now the dongle has been handy because it's portable.

Thanks for the responses and advice.

I repeat. There is no unlimited 3G package.Only unlimited EDGE(which is the slowed down option). At best you have a package with a limited amount of 3G usage. The rest being EDGE.

You need to take control and find out exactly what it is for which are paying and come back with a model number for the USB modem.

Your kind of vague answers won't lead anywhere. Congrats on the bubba. :)

Congrats on the little one!

As above, AIS and all other providers have unlimited packages, but ALL have a fair usage limit. You do get one full month of internet for 1 fixed price, but after a certain amount of data transfer your speed gets limited.

No such thing as 100% unlimited full speed internet over 3G anywhere in Thailand (and the world, with a very few exceptions).

Your first priority is trying to get your private fixed line internet. ADSL or cable, whatever is available in your area. You might have to pay a certain fee to the condo to be allowed to do this.

Popular options are:

3BB

True Online

TOT

If not available or possible, find out what the problem is with AIS. Before the fair usage limit kicks in, speeds should be reasonably OK, so much so that simple surfing should not feel much different compared to fixed line.

AIS is moving over to the 2100 MHz band (which your dongle should be capable of), so go to a Telewiz, see if it's available in your location, and if so either move your current sim card over to the new system, or simply buy a new prepaid simcard and start a new package.

The new frequency is purely used for internet, so much less congested then the old one (900 MHz) which also had to carry all voice connections on the same band as the internet.

Your dongle might also be outdated, the older models are only capable of 3.6 Mbps, whereas the AIS network, especially the 2100 MHz, will allow much faster speeds most of the time then what an old dongle is capable of. You should get at least a 21 Mbps capable model, which will likely top out at around 10 Mbps, a speed which AIS often can reach, especially during off-peak hours.

The more expensive 42 Mbps models are likely a waste of money, you get faster connection to the tower but the internet backbone will not be able to give such fast internet!

• Like 1

Not to mention, two years ago in Thailand, many of the USB dongles sold in Thailand were 2G only (no 3G capability) or limited 3G frequency support. So you need to provide the model number of the dongle, to be sure.

These are the numbers on the dongle -

EAN8858725180819

IMEI359518033663814

S/N321600744897

Perhaps all I need to do is upgrade to the latest model.

Is there no branding on the modem at all? Two main manufacturers. Huawei and ZTE.

These are the numbers on the dongle -

EAN8858725180819

IMEI359518033663814

S/N321600744897

Perhaps all I need to do is upgrade to the latest model.

I'm afraid this information isn't really very useful. I can only guess. The EAN number is a valid EAN number, but it isn't referenced to anything (not unusual). However the first 8 digits of the IME number (35951803) might be a ZTE MF100 clone. Note the word might, as there are only a couple of sites in Russia that reference it. The first 8 digits of a 'real' ZTE MF100 modem are completely different.

The spec for a ZTE MF100 modem are:

Network : GSM

Band : UMTS: 2100 MHz

Band : EDGE / GPRS / GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Data speeds: on UMTS Service up to 3.6 Mbps download / 0.38 Mbps upload

Assuming that it is a ZTE MF100 or clone, my guess is that you don't have AIS 2100Mhz (this is a relatively new service). So it's only going to work on 2G, which is very slow!!!

If the modem doesn't have any other markings, some AT commands could be sent to the modem to possibly determine the make and model. Judging by your posts, I think that would be out of your realm of capabilities.

I would recommend that you go to AIS to get it tested and see if AIS 2100Mhz is available in your area. The older AIS 3G uses 900Mhz and True Move/ True H use 850Mhz.

If AIS or True H doesn't have 3G in your area, it's a mute point buying another modem. You're stuck with 2G! If AIS has 900Mhz 3G or True H has 850Mhz 3G service then get an appropriate modem. Preferably something that supports 850Mhz, 900Mhz, and 2100Mhz. Now that the 2100Mhz band has been awarded, all the carriers will be switching to it eventually. But you won't get good speeds with that modem as it's speed is limited (assuming it's a ZTE MF100 or clone).

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Three to four hundred meters away from the main office which has a tower? I would think there is signal from AIS. I can get AIS any frequency when I visit their office on Thapae.

You can post back and forth all day on here and still get faster results just taking the equipment in to AIS.

Three to four hundred meters away from the main office which has a tower? I would think there is signal from AIS. I can get AIS any frequency when I visit their office on Thapae.

You can post back and forth all day on here and still get faster results just taking the equipment in to AIS.

As alluded to by BB1950 and myself, the problem is likely to be the UMTS/HSPA frequencies available to the modem. It may be just a matter of registering for the new AIS 2100 MHz system. But better that the OP knows this before stepping up to the AIS counter, rather being sold a new modem or worse.

• Like 1