tips/advice/suggestions? first time visitor

eek

Hi fellow members from the south. Im thinking of visiting Phuket tomorrow for a couple of days.

Any suggestions of good places or areas to stay? (im not on a big budget, but dont want to "slum" it. Plus im in my own and female, so want to feel safe)

Weather wise i realise its rainy season, but is sunbathing totally out? (not worried if it is, just that no beaches in chiang mai where i live, so doing the beach thing would be nice).

Any warnings?

Im careful when traveling solo, but is Phuket generally safe for single females...?

I will mainly visiting to wind down.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks so much!

If someone is renting a bike I always recommend they get out to the Rawaii, Promthep area south of Kata and Chalong. Little traffic, hidden beaches and stunning ocean views. Fairly safe but use the same caution and common sense you do in CM. I agree with LIK about tuk tuks. Avoid them if possible, especially at night if a single woman.

Have fun.

• Like 1

"(im not on a big budget, but dont want to "slum" it" - then you can't afford to travel in Phuket - taxis/tuk-tuks, all designed to fleece tourists and ensure they never go back.

My tip - go to Samui.

The lady is an expat living in Chiang Mai, and she will certainly be able to holiday in Phuket on a modest budget. All over the world, it is poorly informed tourists who stand a chance to be fleeced, certainly not locals and expats.

A safety tip would be to be careful with regards to swimming in the sea at this time of the year.Ensure you choose a beach with lifeguards and look for any warning flags that indicate whether swimming is allowed.

all IMO

Kata/Karon have all the purse snatchings and other assaults on tourists and are just a giant village of tailors, eyeglass shoppes, filthy- bars/ and seedy guesthouses.

Rawai has the ugliest beach in SEA and Patong is nothing but touts and sexpat/bar-girl establishments.

Safest and most scenic, if bar girls are not on your list of to do...is in the mid to north part of the island.

Bang Tao area is my recommendation , very nice with Laguna Village with lots of restaurants and clubs that cater to families, w Thai community Cherng Telay close at hand, no need for tuk tuks

The water can be swum in if you are competent on even the worst weather days and the north part is still undeveloped, hang out at the Reggae Bar for good food and company about 1 kilometer north of Laguna resorts

If you are not a good swimmer go to Nai Thon beach where 10 or so lifeguard's with nothing to do have a 30 meter section roped off- safest beach of all to swim in, no rip tides whatsoever but stay in the south part as raw sewage runs into the north from the new Hilton ( all beaches have raw sewage so make a note of entry and stay away. )

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 1

all IMO

Kata/Karon have all the purse snatchings and other assaults on tourists and are just a giant village of tailors, eyeglass shoppes, filthy- bars/ and seedy guesthouses.

Rawai has the ugliest beach in SEA and Patong is nothing but touts and sexpat/bar-girl establishments.

Safest and most scenic, if bar girls are not on your list of to do...is in the mid to north part of the island.

Bang Tao area is my recommendation , very nice with Laguna Village with lots of restaurants and clubs that cater to families, w Thai community Cherng Telay close at hand, no need for tuk tuks

The water can be swum in if you are competent on even the worst weather days and the north part is still undeveloped, hang out at the Reggae Bar for good food and company about 1 kilometer north of Laguna resorts

If you are not a good swimmer go to Nai Thon beach where 10 or so lifeguard's with nothing to do have a 30 meter section roped off- safest beach of all to swim in, no rip tides whatsoever but stay in the south part as raw sewage runs into the north from the new Hilton ( all beaches have raw sewage so make a note of entry and stay away. )

View on Kata is way off the mark "purse snatchings and other assaults" huh?

You obviously also have not been to the beach at Rawai past the Sea Gypsy Village, or Yannui or Nai Harn

Safest? Yea ask the Real Estate guy and his GF how their noses are after assaulted at The Catch, check out the vendors assaulting people at Surin Beach, child shot dead in an internet gaming shop...........on and on and on......

Laguna Village? For a single girl on a budget, what does catering to families have to do with her post?

Nai Thon can have the most dangerous water on the island, been there when it's been deadly, kept people out of the water myself. being a competent water person, would only go in myself with a surfboard.

Anyway, I think she has come and gone.

Edited by LivinginKata
reformat edited quote

all IMO

Thats what the mrs said............:)

Sorry about the bad netiquette LIK, seemed easier to reply in the original post. Off to the beach !!!

What an awesome day on the beach it was too !

Tons of nice looking ladies, went surfing, caught some sun, a little more swimming then cocktail hour. Perfect Phuket day.

all IMO

View on Kata is way off the mark "purse snatchings and other assaults" huh?

You obviously also have not been to the beach at Rawai past the Sea Gypsy Village, or Yannui or Nai Harn

Safest? Yea ask the Real Estate guy and his GF how their noses are after assaulted at The Catch, check out the vendors assaulting people at Surin Beach, child shot dead in an internet gaming shop...........on and on and on......

Laguna Village? For a single girl on a budget, what does catering to families have to do with her post?

Nai Thon can have the most dangerous water on the island, been there when it's been deadly, kept people out of the water myself. being a competent water person, would only go in myself with a surfboard.

Oh dear, Livingin Kata I must disagree about safety in the south west Phuket.

but I'd agree not Surin, which is a cash machine for Cherng Telay's Or Bor Tor

I was recommending Bang Tao

Well for any future visiting single gals, IMO Kata/ Karon has ALL the purse snatch type assaults, look through any archive of the media.

I remember at one time Bangkok sent a police contingent to KAthu to deal with the gangs running rampant, and not too long ago. Is it under control now?

And it also has all the drownings. Nai Thon has no rip , and extreme north BAng Tao at the Park in Layan has gentle waves lapping at the shore in the worst weather- a little known secret.

I think a single women would like the Laguna family as opposed to bar girl area was my point.

There are a few nightclubs within walking or short taxi and very swanky beach clubs.

It's also closer to the airporrt, half the fare to and from .

Edited by EBlair48

Would be interesting to have Eek's report on her experience.

I agree. I know that several posters sent PM's with recommendations, however as with many threads seeking advice and recommendations, it's the norm that there's little to no feedback from the original posters. Shame really.

I always give feedback, just that i have a life outside of Thaivisa.

That does not mean i am ungrateful for advice, it just means that my first thoughts are not to get online to a forum, but rather do whatever is my priority..which is generally many things before even thinking to log into this forum (this is my first log in to the forum in about a week. Maybe thats inconceivable to many lol??..).

Thanks to all for the advice, it helped me make the decision to not visit at this time.

I had just come back from a short visit to the UK and was very jetlagged, so rested up in bangkok for a few days instead of flying south.
Just figured i needed some down time before getting back to my life in Chiang Mai.

I will certainly provide feedback if i do decide to visit Phuket at another time. However, it does honestly sound less than appealing, just from general reports and feedback..and will likely check out Koh Tao or another less negatively portrayed southern area. Thats not to say Phuket is not wonderful when you are actually there (i am not to know!), its just that my requirements were to be somewhere stress free..and it just didnt seem the right place given the feedback.

Edited by eek

I always give feedback, just that i have a life outside of Thaivisa.

That does not mean i am ungrateful for advice, it just means that my first thoughts are not to get online to a forum, but rather do whatever is my priority..which is generally many things before even thinking to log into this forum (this is my first log in to the forum in about a week. Maybe thats inconceivable to many lol??..).

Thanks to all for the advice, it helped me make the decision to not visit at this time.

I had just come back from a short visit to the UK and was very jetlagged, so rested up in bangkok for a few days instead of flying south.

Just figured i needed some down time before getting back to my life in Chiang Mai.

I will certainly provide feedback if i do decide to visit Phuket at another time. However, it does honestly sound less than appealing, just from general reports and feedback..and will likely check out Koh Tao or another less negatively portrayed southern area. Thats not to say Phuket is not wonderful when you are actually there (i am not to know!), its just that my requirements were to be somewhere stress free..and it just didnt seem the right place given the feedback.

I actually thought you were looking specifically for "less than appealing" reports, since you were looking on this forum... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Not arrogant in the least.

Just replying in defence for seemingly not replying early enough and not wishing to have members think their advice was not gratefully recieved.

I am also happily offer opinions and advice to other members enquiries without expecting feedback...which i have done many times.

Im sorry that you feel a minute of your life has been wasted.

Occasionally on thaivisa i sometimes feel its easier not to ask for advice at all...at times it comes with so many invisible unspoken conditions. :/

Thank you again all...i DO actually appreciate the advice given (and apologies if that was unclear)

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback on your thread seeking advice eek. I know you've copped some flak in the past for not doing so.

Just wanted to point out a few things before you, and others reading this, write Phuket off their list of places to visit.

Something like 2.8 million tourists visit this Province every year and the vast majority off them have a good enjoyable, beach holiday without being assaulted, robbed, raped, drowned or murdered. There is crime everywhere in Thailand, even, I venture to guess, Chiang Mai.

Phuket has the best beaches in Thailand, wonderful scenery and is adjacent to the fabulous Phang Nah Bay and it's many islands. It's well worth a visit, or a stay of a lifetime which many of us on the forum are doing, even the eccentric naysayers.

Granted, it can be a hassle, and expensive, getting from the airport to your destination in the South of the island, but the journey is about 60 kms long, and cheap in comparison to anywhere in the West even if not elsewhere in Thailand.

Again, granted, the tuk tuks are a rip-off here and best totally avoided if you can do so. It almost goes without saying to stay well away from jet skies anywhere in Thailand.

Everyone with a modicum of commonsense can have a wonderful stay here, and millions do!

Thanks for the feedback on your thread seeking advice eek. I know you've copped some flak in the past for not doing so.

Just wanted to point out a few things before you, and others reading this, write Phuket off their list of places to visit.

Something like 2.8 million tourists visit this Province every year and the vast majority off them have a good enjoyable, beach holiday without being assaulted, robbed, raped, drowned or murdered. There is crime everywhere in Thailand, even, I venture to guess, Chiang Mai.

Phuket has the best beaches in Thailand, wonderful scenery and is adjacent to the fabulous Phang Nah Bay and it's many islands. It's well worth a visit, or a stay of a lifetime which many of us on the forum are doing, even the eccentric naysayers.

Granted, it can be a hassle, and expensive, getting from the airport to your destination in the South of the island, but the journey is about 60 kms long, and cheap in comparison to anywhere in the West even if not elsewhere in Thailand.

Again, granted, the tuk tuks are a rip-off here and best totally avoided if you can do so. It almost goes without saying to stay well away from jet skies anywhere in Thailand.

Everyone with a modicum of commonsense can have a wonderful stay here, and millions do!

Interesting post OldCroc. You say it's a great place, but also list some of Phuket's negatives that make Phuket unappealing to potential tourists.

I'll put my 2 satang in.

"Something like 2.8 million tourists visit this Province every year" - if those numbers are to be believed, a lot of those stats are made up of Russian, Chinese, indian and Arab package holiday makers. One must ask the question, "What happened to the traditional European market?" Why have they "written Phuket off their list?" It should be noted that many tourist are also using Phuket International Airport as a gateway to Thailand, and many islands. They are most likely counted as a tourist to Phuket, but many do not stay on Phuket at all, or spend only a night or two, particularly near the airport.

"Phuket has the best beaches in Thailand" - is this your opinion, or do you have factual information for this comment? Sure, there are nice beaches here, but there are many other nice beaches on other islands in Thailand as well.

"Granted, it can be a hassle, and expensive." - yes, and this is why the OP, and many others, do not visit, or in many cases, return to Phuket. How is this sustainable for the tourism industry here?

"Again, granted, the tuk tuks are a rip-off here and best totally avoided if you can do so" - is there any viable alternative? Should many tourists, basically, be forced onto a rental motobike or car? Parking being a particular problem in relation to renting a car. Many are staying walking distance to the beach, nightlife and shopping, but, I would suggest, they are well aware of their restricted freedom of movement on their holiday, without being ripped off.

"Everyone with a modicum of commonsense can have a wonderful stay here, and millions do!" - once again, is this your opinion, or do you have any factual information for this comment. A brief google sees Phuket well represented in relation to negative incidents on Phuket. Sure, the majority will enjoy the climate and the beach, basically, the things they can not be ripped off on, but are they impressed with the infastructure and service here, given they were sold a holiday to a "world class tourist destination?"

I have said in another thread, I would like to see some surveys of first time to Thailand tourists, some who have gone to Phuket, some who have gone to Pattaya, and some who have gone to Samui and possible also Hua Hin, which is popular now. I wonder how Phuket would score in such a survey? Likewise, if some tourists did 1 week in Phuket and 1 week in one of the other mentioned places, and then survey them. I really think Phuket wouldn't score very well, compared to their competition in Thailand.

In my opinion, Phuket is at a crossroads. The targeting of the low spending package holiday makers must be hitting the local economy. Recently, I called into the Baanzan night BBQ for a snack. It was almost like a tourist attraction for the Chinese and Koreans. They were taking photos and buying their dinner. That's a 40 to 60 baht dinner. They probably will not go into a a half decent air conditioned restaurant, or outdoor plastic table Thai restaurant, for their whole trip. Likewise, I have seen them buying a lot of 2 minute noodles in Big C, whilst the Russians in Big C buy alcohol and food as well. I expect to see many bars, restaurants and small guest houses close in the next 12 to 18 months.

It's sad to see Phuket so poorly managed by a minority in power here, to the point the island has become a criminal enterprise, when it has so much potential to be Thailand's premier tourists destination and truly provide a great holiday experience for all.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Interesting post OldCroc. You say it's a great place, but also list some of Phuket's negatives that make Phuket unappealing to potential tourists.

I'll put my 2 satang in.

"Something like 2.8 million tourists visit this Province every year" - if those numbers are to be believed, a lot of those stats are made up of Russian, Chinese, indian and Arab package holiday makers. One must ask the question, "What happened to the traditional European market?" Why have they "written Phuket off their list?" It should be noted that many tourist are also using Phuket International Airport as a gateway to Thailand, and many islands. They are most likely counted as a tourist to Phuket, but many do not stay on Phuket at all, or spend only a night or two, particularly near the airport.

"Phuket has the best beaches in Thailand" - is this your opinion, or do you have factual information for this comment? Sure, there are nice beaches here, but there are many other nice beaches on other islands in Thailand as well.

"Granted, it can be a hassle, and expensive." - yes, and this is why the OP, and many others, do not visit, or in many cases, return to Phuket. How is this sustainable for the tourism industry here?

"Again, granted, the tuk tuks are a rip-off here and best totally avoided if you can do so" - is there any viable alternative? Should many tourists, basically, be forced onto a rental motobike or car? Parking being a particular problem in relation to renting a car. Many are staying walking distance to the beach, nightlife and shopping, but, I would suggest, they are well aware of their restricted freedom of movement on their holiday, without being ripped off.

"Everyone with a modicum of commonsense can have a wonderful stay here, and millions do!" - once again, is this your opinion, or do you have any factual information for this comment. A brief google sees Phuket well represented in relation to negative incidents on Phuket. Sure, the majority will enjoy the climate and the beach, basically, the things they can not be ripped off on, but are they impressed with the infastructure and service here, given they were sold a holiday to a "world class tourist destination?"

I have said in another thread, I would like to see some surveys of first time to Thailand tourists, some who have gone to Phuket, some who have gone to Pattaya, and some who have gone to Samui and possible also Hua Hin, which is popular now. I wonder how Phuket would score in such a survey? Likewise, if some tourists did 1 week in Phuket and 1 week in one of the other mentioned places, and then survey them. I really think Phuket wouldn't score very well, compared to their competition in Thailand.

In my opinion, Phuket is at a crossroads. The targeting of the low spending package holiday makers must be hitting the local economy. Recently, I called into the Baanzan night BBQ for a snack. It was almost like a tourist attraction for the Chinese and Koreans. They were taking photos and buying their dinner. That's a 40 to 60 baht dinner. They probably will not go into a a half decent air conditioned restaurant, or outdoor plastic table Thai restaurant, for their whole trip. Likewise, I have seen them buying a lot of 2 minute noodles in Big C, whilst the Russians in Big C buy alcohol and food as well. I expect to see many bars, restaurants and small guest houses close in the next 12 to 18 months.

It's sad to see Phuket so poorly managed by a minority in power here, to the point the island has become a criminal enterprise, when it has so much potential to be Thailand's premier tourists destination and truly provide a great holiday experience for all.

Right on the money NKM..

IMO..Problem is that a few people ,either dont get out and about too much and actually see all the ''downgrading' of what may have been near a paradise many years ago..ie head-in-the-sand attitude and really honestly don't see whats been happening..

Or , as is more apparently common, some just wont remove the 'rose coloureds' and see it for themselves and be honest enough to admit it to others..

I'll put my 2 satang in.

An expected post from you. Any chance to beat your tired old drum, and entertain (?) readers with your lengthy tirades is always taken.

I'll address the parts that seem to relate to my post, but won't bother with your usual whinges about everything else. You've said it all in the past over and over again.

First a bit of netiquette: By enclosing the phrase "World class tourist destination" in quotation marks you are suggesting they are my words. They are not.

You doubt my word when I say 2.8 mill tourists come here. You don't give an alternative, just put down what I say.

I actually got that figure from an article this morning in a blog we can't quote here. I was happy to use that as a guide.

The racial makeup of these visitors is something I am not particularly concerned with, that is one of your foibles.

You ask me about the traditional European market decline. I'm not sure if that was a real question you expect me to answer, or just more of your ramblings. I'll take a guess for you if you like. A major factor would be the downturn in the economy, along with the normal trend of people going to new and different "in" places. Also the degeneration of many things, such as transport, in Phuket in recent years would be a factor in many cases. I have businesses here where the same customers, from places in Europe, USA and Australia, return every year. They've continued to come this year. Not everybody comes just once.

OK, I concede on the best beaches thing. There are many great places on other islands, mainly to the west of the isthmus. I've never seen a decent beach inside the gulf.

I talked about the hassle coming from the airport and you decided that was the reason the OP didn't come. Did you discuss this with her? I, nor any of my friends, have ever had a problem. We've paid between 5-800 baht every time and are happy to do so for the comfort of a private car. Some find this an imposition, and for those people apparently the situation Is slowly changing with a new bus service, a mini bus, and promised crackdowns on illegal taxis.

You seem to agree with me about tuk tuks, but want me to come up with alternatives. Obviously rentals are the only alternative at the moment for most. I recently gave my wish list for island transport in another thread. Please read.

I stated that people using commonsense can have a wonderful holiday here and millions do. You asked if this is my opinion - yes it is, I made the statement. You asked for proof, and quoted negatives from a few in google as your proof the other way. My proof is the increasing numbers coming through the airport every year.

You have a strange little predilection of asking for surveys as evidence from anybody who expresses an opinion other than yours. Not going to happen, I don't do that. Talk to TAT, or do it yourself if it's that important to you.

Some sycophants have suggested I wear rose coloured glasses or am an apologist for all things Phuket. Not so.

In a thread on the subject some time ago I recognized all the shortcomings of the place as well as the many good reasons for living here. I placed myself firmly in the middle of opinion. Search back for the thread if you will.

The rest of your post is not in answer to mine, but just some more of your musings, some of which I agree with.

I do have a question: why do you continue to live in a town and on an island for which you hold so much contempt or should I say despair?

• Like 2

I'll put my 2 satang in.

An expected post from you. Any chance to beat your tired old drum, and entertain (?) readers with your lengthy tirades is always taken.

I'll address the parts that seem to relate to my post, but won't bother with your usual whinges about everything else. You've said it all in the past over and over again.

First a bit of netiquette: By enclosing the phrase "World class tourist destination" in quotation marks you are suggesting they are my words. They are not.

You doubt my word when I say 2.8 mill tourists come here. You don't give an alternative, just put down what I say.

I actually got that figure from an article this morning in a blog we can't quote here. I was happy to use that as a guide.

The racial makeup of these visitors is something I am not particularly concerned with, that is one of your foibles.

You ask me about the traditional European market decline. I'm not sure if that was a real question you expect me to answer, or just more of your ramblings. I'll take a guess for you if you like. A major factor would be the downturn in the economy, along with the normal trend of people going to new and different "in" places. Also the degeneration of many things, such as transport, in Phuket in recent years would be a factor in many cases. I have businesses here where the same customers, from places in Europe, USA and Australia, return every year. They've continued to come this year. Not everybody comes just once.

OK, I concede on the best beaches thing. There are many great places on other islands, mainly to the west of the isthmus. I've never seen a decent beach inside the gulf.

I talked about the hassle coming from the airport and you decided that was the reason the OP didn't come. Did you discuss this with her? I, nor any of my friends, have ever had a problem. We've paid between 5-800 baht every time and are happy to do so for the comfort of a private car. Some find this an imposition, and for those people apparently the situation Is slowly changing with a new bus service, a mini bus, and promised crackdowns on illegal taxis.

You seem to agree with me about tuk tuks, but want me to come up with alternatives. Obviously rentals are the only alternative at the moment for most. I recently gave my wish list for island transport in another thread. Please read.

I stated that people using commonsense can have a wonderful holiday here and millions do. You asked if this is my opinion - yes it is, I made the statement. You asked for proof, and quoted negatives from a few in google as your proof the other way. My proof is the increasing numbers coming through the airport every year.

You have a strange little predilection of asking for surveys as evidence from anybody who expresses an opinion other than yours. Not going to happen, I don't do that. Talk to TAT, or do it yourself if it's that important to you.

Some sycophants have suggested I wear rose coloured glasses or am an apologist for all things Phuket. Not so.

In a thread on the subject some time ago I recognized all the shortcomings of the place as well as the many good reasons for living here. I placed myself firmly in the middle of opinion. Search back for the thread if you will.

The rest of your post is not in answer to mine, but just some more of your musings, some of which I agree with.

I do have a question: why do you continue to live in a town and on an island for which you hold so much contempt or should I say despair?

Likewise, an expected reply from you OldCroc - personal attacks, with some admissions, and also some agreement with me.

I simply found your original post very contradictory, as I do your reply, and I pointed out why. You seem to have taken my post personally. No need for it really.

I continue to live on Phuket because, at the moment, I like living here, but, I must admit, that I do have complete contempt for the "influential people" on Phuket who are using this whole island for personal gain, rather than providing decent infastructure and promoting safe tourism and Thailand, and a strong local economy.

"However, it does honestly sound less than appealing, just from general reports and feedback..and will likely check out Koh Tao or another less negatively portrayed southern area." - seems pretty clear to me why the OP didn't come here, and I wouldn't be surprised if many others do not come here for the same reasons, and the OP lives in Thailand. Google/internet/feedback/bad media coverage etc - obviously had an effect on the OP not to visit.

As far as the tourist numbers to Phuket - we all know TAT's figures are rubbery, at best, but I also put forward another reason why they could be inaccurate for Phuket inbound tourist stats. I concede numbers are up with the new demographic of tourists here, but I firmly believe the baht input from them is down, way down.

In relation to airport transport, I don't have a problem, but step out of your hotel, well, it's the tuk-tuks stranglehold on the island's transport and is a terrible situtation. It's only got to have one tourist not come to Phuket because of the lack of transport and that's one too many.

I concede the economic situation in Europe has had an effect on the tradtional market here, but Phuket is also losing many expats to other destinations. One that comes to mind is Big Bill - after many years here, has left, and he had a business here. I have some friends who have also left. Most of them left for reasons other than financial. Some of these guys had busineses here as well. All had been here for years.

I used the inverted commas to quote the TAT, not yourself. I apologise if you felt mislead by that.

You mention you have a business here. In some circumstances, I think that could create a conflict of interests whilst posting. That would be something only you can self assess. I have no land, condo, business, wife etc here - I just see what I see and post my observations and experiences, my opinions and sometimes, my predictions for the future, which is what internet forums are about. If Phuket imploded tomorrow - I lose nothing. If Phuket boomed tomorrow - i gain nothing. I post as I see it.

Each to their own when posting within forum rules.

Edited by NamKangMan

Thanks for the reply NKM.

Some advice, when you continually doubt everything people say and imply they're making things up, even something as basic as visitor numbers it's hard not to take it personally.

Just a few last points, I'm not going to engage in a monumental debate on the same old things.

You said my post was contradictory, presumably because I mentioned both good and bad points about the place.

I prefer to tell it as it is, in an even manner, without being either an apologist or a doomsayer.

I believe many posters here can't honestly make the same claims, preferring to push only one agenda.

You suggested I had a conflict of interest because of our businesses here. Not so. I funded these shops for my wife as it was something she has always wanted to do. In a way, I would prefer they weren't as successful as they are because I don't like my Lady making the trip every day over the mountains in Phuket's hazardous traffic. The money earned is not essential as I had already ensured we would be comfortable enough in retirement here.

(Needless to say I am a strong proponent for the construction of any number of tunnels or mountain top roads between Chalong and Patong.smile.png )

As for posting within forum rules, I have been a member of Thai visa for more than 8 years under the one nik.

I have received only one (debatable) warning ever. How many here can say the same?

I wish you luck in finding an alternative place of abode and look forward to a positive post from you about your findings. smile.png

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply NKM.

Some advice, when you continually doubt everything people say and imply they're making things up, even something as basic as visitor numbers it's hard not to take it personally.

Just a few last points, I'm not going to engage in a monumental debate on the same old things.

You said my post was contradictory, presumably because I mentioned both good and bad points about the place.

I prefer to tell it as it is, in an even manner, without being either an apologist or a doomsayer.

I believe many posters here can't honestly make the same claims, preferring to push only one agenda.

You suggested I had a conflict of interest because of our businesses here. Not so. I funded these shops for my wife as it was something she has always wanted to do. In a way, I would prefer they weren't as successful as they are because I don't like my Lady making the trip every day over the mountains in Phuket's hazardous traffic. The money earned is not essential as I had already ensured we would be comfortable enough in retirement here.

(Needless to say I am a strong proponent for the construction of any number of tunnels or mountain top roads between Chalong and Patong.smile.png )

As for posting within forum rules, I have been a member of Thai visa for more than 8 years under the one nik.

I have received only one (debatable) warning ever. How many here can say the same?

I wish you luck in finding an alternative place of abode and look forward to a positive post from you about your findings. smile.png

Thanks for the reply OC. It's a bit of friendly internet banter.

Allow me to clarify. I did not doubt that you read the tourists figures are 2.8 milion, I cast doubt over the accuracy of the source of those figures, not that you actually read them and posted them on TV.

Thanks for sharing your personal circumstance - it is really none of my business. I simply stated that some members who may have "invested" in business on Phuket, may prefer to post positively, and criticise negitive posts about Phuket, due to their financial interest in the tourism industry here. Some may do this on purpose, basically marketing Phuket, others may not even know they are doing it.

As mentioned, I have nothing to lose or nothing to gain if Phuket collapses, or booms. I call it as I see it and there are a lot of negative things happening here. Of course, the old saying, "if it bleeds - it leads" is true of TV, as in the media. The negative stories get the most views and posts, and unfortunately, Phuket gets a lot of negative threads, and even more so in recent times.

I will be on Phuket for a while yet. I still enjoy living here. However, I am fully aware of Phuket's fast changing natural environment into concrete, rising crime, failing infastructure, zero positive change to public transport, increased flooding, fast rising costs over that of inflation, terrible traffic congestion and dangerous roads, rising drug abuse, corruption etc and when these have such an impact on my lifestyle and enjoyment here - then I will leave.

Edited by NamKangMan