VIDEO: Thailand's former Olympic badminton team brawls at competition, acts like children

Lite Beer

Brawls occur in almost every sport and at various venues around the world.

What makes this one different is players from the same country, in fact once on the same doubles team viciously attacking each other in a distant land - Canada.

What makes this one different is that we don't see jostling, pushing & shoving but a player pushed to the ground by a fellow-countryman and kicked and beaten by a once fellow doubles partner -all at an international meet.

Arguably, many may say that this is not out of the ordinary. But very much part of Unseen Thailand which the world got a glimpse at.

Mind you we could have excused it had this happened in the course of play - as in a rugby tackle. The genteel sport of badminton makes any such excuse impossible. Suffice it to say that the public display we see here is played out a thousand times in Thailand - outside the gaze of tourists. The Thai psyche & temparament does not cope well with even a minimal dose of challenge.

I don't know, that dropped knee onto a prone man was one of the more vicious things I've witnessed in sport. Any who tried that when I played rugby would have seven shades of proverbial kicked out of them.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the hell were the Canadian officials and security? Why did no-one pull them apart. I know Canadians are a little whacky, but this takes the piss!

I think it caught them by surprise. Lets face it, would you be expecting fisticuffs during a badminton game?

• Like 1

Where the hell were the Canadian officials and security? Why did no-one pull them apart. I know Canadians are a little whacky, but this takes the piss!

I think it caught them by surprise. Lets face it, would you be expecting fisticuffs during a badminton game?

Yes, I see your point. If it happened at a football match, the police would be there is a flash. But, as you say, it was a poorly attended match and took everybody by surprise. What next, someone getting harpooned at a water-polo event?

Brawls occur in almost every sport and at various venues around the world.

What makes this one different is players from the same country, in fact once on the same doubles team viciously attacking each other in a distant land - Canada.

What makes this one different is that we don't see jostling, pushing & shoving but a player pushed to the ground by a fellow-countryman and kicked and beaten by a once fellow doubles partner -all at an international meet.

Arguably, many may say that this is not out of the ordinary. But very much part of Unseen Thailand which the world got a glimpse at.

Mind you we could have excused it had this happened in the course of play - as in a rugby tackle. The genteel sport of badminton makes any such excuse impossible. Suffice it to say that the public display we see here is played out a thousand times in Thailand - outside the gaze of tourists. The Thai psyche & temparament does not cope well with even a minimal dose of challenge.

I don't know, that dropped knee onto a prone man was one of the more vicious things I've witnessed in sport. Any who tried that when I played rugby would have seven shades of proverbial kicked out of them.

He's very lucky he didn't kill him. He should be arrested.

• Like 1

Some posts in violation of these forum rules have been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

You need to take of your rose coloured glasses.

Everyone spends a little bit more time in the badminton scene knows how prone to acting like children most of the badminton players are. Its called badmintonness.

Apart from that what do you expect at a sport event in Canada? When in Rome ...

I caught a longer video on TV whilst having lunch today, it started with a squaring up at the side of the net and one of them smacking the other in the head with a racquet/fist. This was then followed by a Benny Hill style chase around the arena (being 3 courts from what I could see) with a chair being thrown prior to the beating being dispensed, the clip on page one is only about half of it.

This is not the full clip I saw at lunch but the best I can find on YouTube at present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3PdQsogdsE

Olympic badminton player apologizes for attack
By Coconuts Bangkok

The fight that set tongues wagging yesterday between Thai international badminton players seems to have cooled by today. As the attacker, Art, has issued an apology-video taking fault for the heated brawl - but not without pointing his finger back at his former partner.

Bodin "Art" Issara claims that his anger couldn’t be controlled after Maneepong "A" Jongjit hit him hard with a racket, blooding his right ear. The athlete issued the following statement, “I’m Bodin Issara. I apologize for the incident that has occurred. It was because I was hit in the ear by a racket, [so hard that] it bled and was ripped.”

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/23/olympic-badminton-player-apologizes-attacking-his-former-partner

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-23

Olympic badminton player apologizes for attack
By Coconuts Bangkok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IL_7N-J_34Y#t=0s

The fight that set tongues wagging yesterday between Thai international badminton players seems to have cooled by today. As the attacker, Art, has issued an apology-video taking fault for the heated brawl - but not without pointing his finger back at his former partner.

Bodin "Art" Issara claims that his anger couldn’t be controlled after Maneepong "A" Jongjit hit him hard with a racket, blooding his right ear. The athlete issued the following statement, “I’m Bodin Issara. I apologize for the incident that has occurred. It was because I was hit in the ear by a racket, [so hard that] it bled and was ripped.”

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/23/olympic-badminton-player-apologizes-attacking-his-former-partner

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-23

Well it would appear from the footage that Bodin is lying. He was definitely the aggressor and threw the first punch. I think as the other guy was running away across the other court he flicked his racket back to stop Bodin and it caught him on the ear. Both teams were disqualified so that really blew the entire tournament. Nice one Thailand! The two vids below are shot from slightly different angles with different commentary. The second one show a little more clearly what happened at the beginning and Bodin was not hit first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sr3Er69FmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7Gs1SCH44

Question....Why can't I get my youtube links to embed in the post anymore??

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

This is a more thorough video showing the build up, and the one below shows afterwards after they learned of Thailand getting black carded from all future Canadian Open tournaments and probably a lot more other tournaments. Only the 4th time has a black carding been issued.

Way to go Thailand.

The funny part for me was when the attacker made a public apology, he stated that he lost his head because the other guy hit him in the ear with his racquet, and yet the video clearly shows that the attacker hit the other guy with his racquet first. So they had to throw in a lie to add more insult to the incident.

I have to say that I am loving the amount of face he is losing through this.

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

Well it would appear from the footage that Bodin is lying. He was definitely the aggressor and threw the first punch. I think as the other guy was running away across the other court he flicked his racket back to stop Bodin and it caught him on the ear. Both teams were disqualified so that really blew the entire tournament. Nice one Thailand! The two vids below are shot from slightly different angles with different commentary. The second one show a little more clearly what happened at the beginning and Bodin was not hit first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sr3Er69FmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7Gs1SCH44

Question....Why can't I get my youtube links to embed in the post anymore??

Post the link straight into the posting frame and not using the link box, if you choose the url link box, it will give the link out and not the content.

• Like 1

This is a more thorough video showing the build up, and the one below shows afterwards after they learned of Thailand getting black carded from all future Canadian Open tournaments and probably a lot more other tournaments. Only the 4th time has a black carding been issued.

Way to go Thailand.

The funny part for me was when the attacker made a public apology, he stated that he lost his head because the other guy hit him in the ear with his racquet, and yet the video clearly shows that the attacker hit the other guy with his racquet first. So they had to throw in a lie to add more insult to the incident.

Seeing that, what can anyone say. Guys in spandex, chasing each other, over a badminton match.

Aside from how bad it makes Thai sports look, it is probably top of Asianspandexboys.com

I mean honestly, what a bunch of spineless, useless men.

What I consider more deplorable is the sad fact that Ponytail does not have to face any charges. He attempts to kill someone in front of half a dozen cameras and - nothing happens.

• Like 1

If this had happened in a domestic tournament the pair of then would probably have received two week bans, suspended for two years. As it happened on the world stage they will be lucky to escape with two year bans.

Whatever the outcome it's another blow for Thainess.

Edited by bigbamboo

Way to go Thailand.

Yep ! You can see exactly where Bodin picks up the ear injury at 59 secs as the other guy is running away from him, after Bodin struck first with the racket and threw a punch. Pity Bodin and his Manager/coach did not review all the tapes before they issued a lying poxy embarrassing apology.

• Like 1

I like how the guy says "there is a lot of tension and testosterone in this sport". It's badminton! If you had any testosterone you'd probably be playing a more manly sport.

Did you ever play Badminton?

I mean: real , competative Badminton...not "featherball"!?

• Like 1