Songkran Advice

marshbags

I apologise for yet another thread on the coming festivities while offering the following article from the Bangkok Post, please read it as it can make all the difference if we follow the advice it offers.

Quote :-................................................................................

EDITORIAL

Let's make this a joyful Songkran

Those complaining of the heat will have a chance to cool down, or be cooled down, next week when the nation begins a lengthy celebration of the Songkran festival, highlighted by a great deal of water-throwing, revelry and, sadly, bloodshed and hooliganism. The spirit of Songkran should not be one of selfish people inflicting extremes of water torture. Nor should it be one of hospital emergency rooms trying to cope with victims of drunken driving and violent alcohol-fuelled domestic disputes. Yet we already know that about 80 people will lose their lives on Thursday alone, as highway carnage takes its toll. Some will die because of their own reckless stupidity and others will be killed or maimed due to the irresponsible actions of those who ignore the law and all norms of civilised behaviour.

This time round, let us make a supreme effort to restore the traditional Thai new year festival to what it once was _ a serene and peaceful celebration. One where extended families get together for an annual reunion to express their respects to elders and each other by pouring scented water onto the hands of parents, grandparents, other kinfolk and friends. Songkran is a family affair and should be the most noble and loving one in our calendar.

Unfortunately, in recent years a good time has not been had by all. There is a selfish and aggressive minority which tarnishes the good name of the festival by making it ugly and violent. To them Songkran is a time for getting wildly drunk, non-stop partying, motorcycle racing, drug-taking, gambling their earnings away and taking water-throwing to dangerous and insane extremes with imported high-pressure water guns and hoses directed at unwitting passers-by and moving vehicles. In one instance, a commandeered fire engine was used to wreak havoc, which caused a number of casualties.

This minority is also turning a beautiful and gentle tradition into a peak time for sexual harassment, assault and street fighting. These are not revellers. They are hooligans and should be treated as such. Last year there were far too many instances of the tradition of sprinkling clean water to cool off others being replaced by the throwing of ice and even, in one alarming case, the criminal spraying of acid. Such people have long since crossed the line between having their own fun and spoiling other people's.

Police have already ensured that service stations on the nation's highways won't sell alcohol, mapped out checkpoints, urged motorists and motorcyclists to drive carefully and threatened to use the full force of the law to punish those who don't, but the message never seems to get across to everyone. Common sense makes it a good idea to avoid major highways where possible. There are just too many idiots on the main roads who see nothing wrong in driving while intoxicated, overtaking on bends, running red lights, cutting aggressively in front of other vehicles and choosing speed over safety. Banning alcohol for the duration of the festival together with ''water-throwing zoning'' and a public relations blitz urging travellers to use trains or planes rather than highways, could all help reduce the number of dead and injured.

Let all who want to, enjoy the splashing of water, preferably in designated areas, from dawn to dusk together with a coating of perfumed powder on the face. Do not douse motorists, cyclists or motorcyclists because this causes accidents, some of them fatal. Youngsters must understand this and even foreign tourists, who have been known to take things too far. Many are unaware that the water-throwing is supposed to stop at sundown and that not all people are willing targets for a violent drenching, especially those talking on mobile phones.

Tolerance and forgiveness are two of the true values of Songkran but they are being tested to the limit. Those who abuse Songkran spoil it for others and are best kept off the roads for their own safety as well as the safety, health and well-being of the rest of us. And if that means temporarily confining them in a police station's jail cell, then so be it. It could save their lives or, more important, the lives of others. They would have no one to blame but themselves.

Quote ended...........................................................................

Enjoy it and take care and look after your families amidst the chaos................thank you, without wanting to sound / appear a killjoy or a preacher. I am neither.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the best thing to do is put icy cold water in you water guns.

I find alot of people retreat whne doing it.

Too bad i have to miss this years one songkran.

i had a blast last year.

The best is drenching people who dont want to be wet. And even funnier when they get really pissed off after continuing to wet them.

The Safest Ways to Celebrate Songkran.

1) Stock up on food and beverages, and hide in your home until it's all over.

2) Take a vacation out of the country. Return when the fun is finished.

In both cases, when the fun is over, get together with your friends and joke about "having survived" another Songkran.

Excuse me, I have to go turn up the temperature in my fridge. The water in my trusty 5 baht pistols is starting to freeze :o

The best is drenching people who dont want to be wet. And even funnier when

they get really pissed off after continuing to wet them.

Another ocker juvenile <deleted>. Why don't you try that stunt in Sydney's Songkhran festival and see how far you get without getting your nose broken by a fun loving local.

I find alot of people retreat whne doing it.

Too bad i have to miss this years one songkran.

i had a blast last year.

The best is drenching people who dont want to be wet. And even funnier when they get really pissed off after continuing to wet them.

You would do well to read what was written in the opening post!

I apologise for yet another thread on the coming festivities while offering the following article from the Bangkok Post, please read it as it can make all the difference if we follow the advice it offers.

Quote :-................................................................................

EDITORIAL

Let's make this a joyful Songkran

"The spirit of Songkran should not be one of selfish people inflicting extremes of water torture."

"This time round, let us make a supreme effort to restore the traditional Thai new year festival to what it once was _ a serene and peaceful celebration. One where extended families get together for an annual reunion to express their respects to elders and each other by pouring scented water onto the hands of parents, grandparents, other kinfolk and friends. Songkran is a family affair and should be the most noble and loving one in our calendar."

"Unfortunately, in recent years a good time has not been had by all. There is a selfish and aggressive minority which tarnishes the good name of the festival by making it ugly and violent."

I do not particularly enjoy Songkran. I find it dangerous and not that much fun really. This year, as in past years, I will take my kids around to throw a bit of water and then come back home for a swim in the pool and lunch with friends. For those of you that enjoy it, have a great time and "Sawadee Pee Mai Kha".

Another ocker juvenile <deleted>. Why don't you try that stunt in Sydney's Songkhran festival and see how far you get without getting your nose broken by a fun loving local.

That's the very reason that a festival like Songkhran is a no go in a country like England, apart from the lousy weather, the people are just too aggressive and miserable.

The best is drenching people who dont want to be wet. And even funnier when

they get really pissed off after continuing to wet them.

You're a barrel of laughs, aren't you?

Yeah thats very smart, you do that to the right person and you will end up picking your teeth up off the floor.

Really donz you need to do some growing up, and you should stop trolling the forum with moronic comments like this :o

Donz mentioned throwing water on people during a water throwing festival.

2 responses have had his nose broken and his teeth knocked out.

In the UK I suspect that this would happen due to the aggressive nature of UK people, you know the types... Who r u <deleted> screwing mate? when a stranger walks into a bar and glances across the room and happens to catch the eye of a local friendly who would like to introduce him to good ole' English hospitality by glassing him.

This is Thailand chaps, stay indoors if you can't handle Songkhran. It's not like you don't know what's gonna happen if you go down a Soi where people are throwing water. :o

Edited by Maigo6

WATERFIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A typically pathetic response to a serious topic. Grow ip Goergie :o

Actually it's a realistic response to a pointless topic.

By the way, aren't you the one who finds other people's spelling mistakes so amazingly funny? Better get spell check and use it, oh wise one! :D

WATERFIGHT!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Donz mentioned throwing water on people during a water throwing festival.

2 responses have had his nose broken and his teeth knocked out.

In the UK I suspect that this would happen due to the aggressive nature of UK people, you know the types... Who r u <deleted> screwing mate? when a stranger walks into a bar and glances across the room and happens to catch the eye of a local friendly who would like to introduce him to good ole' English hospitality by glassing him.

This is Thailand chaps, stay indoors if you can't handle Songkhran. It's not like you don't know what's gonna happen if you go down a Soi where people are throwing water. :o

Indeed i agree with you it is water festival, but its thugs like donz that have turned it into what it is today. It should be a time of peaceful dabbing of water on friends and loved ones hands, not throwing buckets of ice cold water over people.

Now dont get me wrong i am more than happy to partake in the festivities in areas like ksr where everyone is there for that reason. But if i was going out to dinner with my wife dressed up, and i saw donz about to throw water on me and i said no and he threw it anyway, i would be seriously pissed off, and personally i wouldnt smack him but he would have some very harsh words spoken, but i am sure there are other out there that wouldnt hold back and yes probably break hs nose. Would i stop this happening to him? No probably not

Still an amazing number of whiners about Songkran .... really guys ... if it bothers you ... stay in ... don't go out into it.

If you live in a place where they throw multiple days ... run away ... enjoy your stay in Singapore etc ...

Me? I'll be out there in it every day that it is going on wherever I happen to be. I'll be the chubby guy laughing his ass off (sober) and squirting everyone that walks by! If it's daytime during play hours and you walk past ... remember to smile ...

Later in the evening when I go out to eat with friends ... after play time is over ... if I get someone shooting water at me ... I'll remember to smile too! Last year in Samui it happened twice ... both times it was Thais that probably had to work during the day. Oh well ... crying about it would have been silly ... and if I was that worried about it I would have had food delivered ;-)

That's the very reason that a festival like Songkhran is a no go in a country like England, apart from the lousy weather, the people are just too aggressive and miserable.

The original statement was rather DUM and dangerous, STOP having a go at the English, we are not all agressive :D

Were are you from Japan? bunch of racists I beleive? :o

Still an amazing number of whiners about Songkran .... really guys ... if it bothers you ... stay in ... don't go out into it.

Now, this is valuable Songkran advice! :o

Its not really valuable advice. Why should someone be forced to stay inside just to avoid being assaulted by some moron with a bucket of ice cold water or worse still a bucket of dirty ditch water.

What about those people that dont get time off work, do they deserve to be soaked on their way to or from work?

I have taken part in the festivities several times, and i have never thrown water over someone who didnt want it. You can spot someone who is up for the fun and who isnt, and i think ANYONE who throws water on someone who obviously doesnt want it, is just a ignorant prick, plain and simple. No means NO. :D and if you still throw the water then you are assaulting that person against their wishes, do you think this is ok?

The original statement was rather DUM and dangerous, STOP having a go at the English, we are not all agressive :o

They are not all football hooligans! :D

The original statement was rather DUM and dangerous, STOP having a go at the English, we are not all agressive :D

They are not all football hooligans! :D

Some of us dont even like football :o I would rather watch paint dry than watch a game of footy :D

Its not really valuable advice. Why should someone be forced to stay inside just to avoid being assaulted by some moron with a bucket of ice cold water or worse still a bucket of dirty ditch water.

What about those people that dont get time off work, do they deserve to be soaked on their way to or from work?

I have taken part in the festivities several times, and i have never thrown water over someone who didnt want it. You can spot someone who is up for the fun and who isnt, and i think ANYONE who throws water on someone who obviously doesnt want it, is just a ignorant prick, plain and simple. No means NO. :D and if you still throw the water then you are assaulting that person against their wishes, do you think this is ok?

saying you are assulting somebody is going way to far.There are truck loads of Thais that get

a shit load of pleasure aout of wetting...a well dress farang.This is their holiday and their festival.I'm not goning to bring my ideals and standards on to them.there are parts of Chiang Mai that it is almost impossible to stay dry.

If you don't want to get wet, stay inside untill after dark.I have never seen anybody sprayed after 6PM.That way you avoid getting wet and calling people pricks.

personally, I wouldn't throw water over a person that doesn't want to get wet, but that's just me.

SK is ment to be a FUN and HAPPY time...No bitching and moaning... :D

Edited by chuchok

I think, that it doesn't matter what I think. This is a Thai holiday and they are not going to stop celebrating it for us outsiders.

Go out and enjoy it or lock yourself in your room or leave town for a few days. :D

I think, that it doesn't matter what I think. This is a Thai holiday and they are not going to stop celebrating it for us outsiders.

Go out and enjoy it or lock yourself in your room or leave town for a few days. :o

Unfortunately even some Thais seem to have forgotten what the festival is really about,it isnt about throwing buckets of water over people, and your right it dosent really matter what we think the Thais will carry on doing what they want, i am merely pointing out the real reason behind songkran

This is taken from here http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/special_e...kran/index.html

Songkran is a Thai traditional New Year which starts on April 13 every year and lasts for 3 days. Songkran festival on April 13 is Maha Songkran Day or the day to mark the end of the old year, April 14 is Wan Nao which is the day after and April 15 is Wan Thaloeng Sok which the New Year begins. At this time, people from the rural areas who are working in the city usually return home to celebrate the festival. Thus, when the time come, Bangkok temporarily turns into a deserted city.

Songkran is a Thai word which means "move" or "change place" as it is the day when the sun changes its position in the zodiac. It is also known as the "Water Festival" as people believe that water will wash away bad luck.

The Songkran tradition is recognized as a valuable custom for the Thai community, society and religions. The value for family is to provide the opportunity for family members to gather in order to express their respects to the elders by pouring scented water onto the hands of their parents and grandparents and to present them gifts including making merits to dedicate the result to their ancestors. The elders in return wish the youngsters good luck and prosperity.

The values for community is to provide the opportunity to create unity in the community such as to jointly acquire merits, to meet each other and to enjoy the entertaining events. And for the society value is to create concern upon environment with cooperation such as to clean houses, temples, public places and official buildings. Thais value the religion bye means of merits acquisition, offerings alms to monks, Dhamma Practice, listening to sermon and monks-bathing.

In the afternoon, after performing a bathing rite for Buddha images and the monks, the celebrants both young and old, joyfully splash water oon each other. The most-talked about celebration takes place in the northern province of Chiang Mai where Songkran is celebrated from April 13 to 15. During this period, people from all parts of the country flock there to enjoy the water festival, to watch the Miss Songkran Contest and the beautiful parades.

To chuchok.......

Seriously mate, anyone who throws water on someone else without their permission is assault. Now obviously this wouldnt stand up in any court of law, but you are still doing something which might be against someone elses wishes. And like i stated before there are people out there that dont have a choice about going to work, and they might really not want to be soaked, and imho it is wrong to then go ahaed and soak them. Now i know you said you dont, but there are plenty of peole out there like donz who just dont care, and are quite happy to go aganst other peoples wishes, and this IS assault

And like i said before i partake in the fun as well, i just show a bit of respect for my fellow humans :D

Actually ... Yes ... I think it is OK. Don't whine ... don't cry .... bring a plastic bag and work clothes to change into ....

As long as the people enjoying it is doing it for the festivities and love, and aren't out to piss people off (Donz), it's all fun and games.

Yeah I think songkran is great, except for when people have little consideration for others. I think the rule should be manditory to get wet on Songkran day, but the days leading up to it, people need to understand that not everyone is on holidays, yet!

Like me in Phuket 2 years ago. Two days before Songkran when I had some private teaching lessons to do. On my way back to my apartment when there were a group of dumb ass bar girls starting the water festivities early. Dressed in a suit and tie and my workbag in hand, they decided to threaten me with a dosing. I tried my best to tell them in my poor Thai, don't! the stuff in my bag is very important. But they didn't want to listen, they completely flooded me, and they were very shocked when I got VERY angry with them, and opened my bag to show them my $3500 laptop. I can't believe that for some reason the cheap bag my lappy was in somehow prevented any damage. When I look back on it now, if they had have killed my lappy, they would have owed me free headies for a year! :o

Edited by DavieA

daleyboy, whether it's assault or not is not that important.

In CM around the moat, it is nigh on impossible to stay dry.You would have to be a bit thick going out not expecting to get wet.

A couple of years ago I was in Patpong.The place was chokka block with people.(kids families etc ) pick ups were streaming through and water was flying everywhere.Utes were making special trips just to go through the pong.This bloke came out of an alley in civvies.He was wet and pissed off.

He came over to the bar that I was in and said in a very loud voice "haven't you guys got a home to go to" I just looked at him like he was an idiot and said "Why on earth would you walk through here" he said "Because it was a short cut." I almost pissed myself..... What a dumd prick. :o