Is it easy to swap the sim on an iPhone 5?

corkman

Presumably if you buy an iPhone 5 from the apple store it is sim unlocked?

I frequently travel between Ireland and Thaialnd and so want to be able to change SIM cards at either end, easily.

Is this possible or do I need to go into a shop each time to get a technician to do it?

When you bought the iPhone 5, you should have gotten a small pin with it, (looks like a paperclip) this is used to eject the Nano Sim Card Tray.

HT5163-iphone_5-nano_sim-001-en.png

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

It's pretty easy. As MJCM says you can do it yourself with the tool, or I find a toothpick works well. Whether the phone's radios are fully compatible with the Irish system is another story.

Edited by Chicog

When you bought the iPhone 5, you should have gotten a small pin with it, (looks like a paperclip) this is used to eject the Nano Sim Card Tray.

A tool I lost before I had even finished unpacking my phone....

A tool I lost before I had even finished unpacking my phone....

You can use a Paper Clip (as shown in the picture) or as Chicog said "a toothpick works well"

Edited by MJCM

Yes it's SIM unlocked and easy to do yourself. The iPhone 5 uses a nano SIM format which is different from a standard SIM and also from a micro SIM. But these days nano SIMs seem to be widely available.